whats available where you shop ?

A forum to discuss casting techniques and events. For the angler wishing to increase his distance and the tournament caster.

Moderators: paddyc, kstaff

Re: whats available where you shop ?

Postby eric » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:20 pm

AG wrote:i have no problems sourcing line i get it no problems from the uk , can never seem to walk into a shop and pick up what i want :( just like bearings for my reels , long tails for my weights , packets od 100 oval split rings , rings for my rods , etc :D

ahh get you now, casting malarky. kilometer spools of nite crystal 8) dead right in that respect. i love the famous line; 'il order that in for you'. next week you go in they've forgoten to order it, end up online in the end. im in favour of the AG casting and fishing emporium. :D
species for 2009 (42)
species for 2010 (27)
species for 2011 (12)
species for 2012 (8)
[i][b][color=#0000BF] best advice for catching species is girls dont like fishing and its hard to catch fish when you sell all your gear'[/color][/b][/i]
eric
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 13 times

Postby AG » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:21 pm

heres a list of what i need to get tomorrow eric
half kilo spool of .25 sakuma nite crystal
4oz spool of .75 orange powerflex shock leader
a set of fuji sic rings
and 4 sets of hybrid ceramic 4*10*4 bearings abec 5s
i will pick it up off you aroun 2pm tomorrow :D
AG
Need your account moneys for new Zziplex

Have thanks: 45 times

Postby eric » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:25 pm

AG wrote:heres a list of what i need to get tomorrow eric
half kilo spool of .25 sakuma nite crystal
4oz spool of .75 orange powerflex shock leader
a set of fuji sic rings
and 4 sets of hybrid ceramic 4*10*4 bearings abec 5s
i will pick it up off you aroun 2pm tomorrow :D

:lol:
species for 2009 (42)
species for 2010 (27)
species for 2011 (12)
species for 2012 (8)
[i][b][color=#0000BF] best advice for catching species is girls dont like fishing and its hard to catch fish when you sell all your gear'[/color][/b][/i]
eric
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 13 times

Postby Tony Fella » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:42 am

The success to a good tackle shop is listening to there customers. Iv wanted things that i couldn't get in any tackle shop in Dublin bar the uk (rig making stuff) 2-3 weeks later they have it in and always keep it in stock

If i did want something they would try there best to get it and do a good price if they fobbed me off saying yea next week and still no sign of what i wanted i wouldn't give them my business again
http://www.ecrsac.com

Species 2011..(17)..Haddock..Ling..Cod..Whiting..Dab..Flounder..Coalie..Pollock..Pouting..Poorcod..cuckoo wrasse...Pouting...Launce..Plaice..Smooth Hound.. Turbot..Ballan Wrasse..
Tony Fella
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 4 times
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby AG » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:47 am

Tony Fella wrote:The success to a good tackle shop is listening to there customers. Iv wanted things that i couldn't get in any tackle shop in Dublin bar the uk (rig making stuff) 2-3 weeks later they have it in and always keep it in stock

If i did want something they would try there best to get it and do a good price if they fobbed me off saying yea next week and still no sign of what i wanted i wouldn't give them my business again

do you not think 2 /3 weeks is along time since you first asked for something ? when if you order it from the uk you could have it in 3 days !a good tackle shop should be ahead of the game showing you new stuff before you run out of the same stuff :evil:
AG

Postby Tony Fella » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:36 pm

If your in a rush for it yea order from the uk but i was in no rush the way i look at it now if i want to stock up i know they will be there and the shop im talking about is always updating there stock and at this moment re planning there shop to fit more stock in..id rather spend my money in ireland then the uk
http://www.ecrsac.com

Species 2011..(17)..Haddock..Ling..Cod..Whiting..Dab..Flounder..Coalie..Pollock..Pouting..Poorcod..cuckoo wrasse...Pouting...Launce..Plaice..Smooth Hound.. Turbot..Ballan Wrasse..
Tony Fella
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 4 times
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby AG » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:57 pm

Tony Fella wrote:If your in a rush for it yea order from the uk but i was in no rush the way i look at it now if i want to stock up i know they will be there and the shop im talking about is always updating there stock and at this moment re planning there shop to fit more stock in..id rather spend my money in ireland then the uk

i would love to be able to walk into a shop and pick up what i need but i cant . and it is nice to know that you can go in and it will be there in front of you and maybe something new aswell :!: they should be on the ball and be with what is goin on :!: and not give people the chance to go elsewhere :wink:
AG

Postby red » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:01 pm

nearly all the stuff i want can be gotten here but i usually try to get my rods 2nd hand and have gotten some real bargains.

Tony Fella wrote:id rather spend my money in ireland then the uk

so would i but price comes into it also.
ultima distance is about €12/13 here. i can get 4 spools for €28 from the uk delivered.
i paid €6 for a spool of gresed weasel 2 weeks ago here cos i needed it. i ordered 4 spools from the uk the next day and it was only €3.25 each,
i got a rod last year from the uk for a friend delivered for €66 on special offer(usual price would have been €102 delivered), it was and still is €149 here.

while i always want to support local, i dont have the money to be paying almost double for stuff here when i can have it delivered in 3 days from the uk. while i know the different tax rates come into it, it cant make as much of a difference as making things anything from 50%-70% more expensive
red
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 222 times

Postby ShaneH » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:10 pm

i get all my stuff from the uk line hooks everything cos shops over here will only stock cheap crap for the summer anglers
Sportscast Ireland
ShaneH
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 284 times

Postby AG » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:16 pm

see its not just about casters , some of us fish aswell :wink: the uk seem to have deals on line and thet pass them on to the anglers .
AG

Postby eochailjake » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:04 am

Not being a great caster but still liking to use quality rods that will last longer than cheap stuff i found that waterford angling and outdoor center owned by John O'Brien stocks a good range of Conoflex, Century and greys rods both second hand and new. While Peter Horne in Blarney stocks some Zziplex rods and blanks as well as many other good brands.
Both of these shops carry a large range of rig making bits and pieces,reels etc and i know for a fact if they say they will order something for you they will and they will even call you when it arrives for these reasons i keep going back to them. Some tackle shops in this country actually know how to keep customers. They will also offer good advice on where is fishing well, something you wont get fron an online shop in the u.k.

What drives me mad is the hardware shops( who also sell some fishing tackle, mostly for macky bashing tourists) like one of the ones in Youghal who will not sell a 7ht mag for less than 269 euro even though most tackle shops are selling them for around 210-230euro claiming he only got two or three from the wholesaler. I mean why did he even bother getting the 7hts when he has no even half decent rods to match it with. But then again there never was a realy good tackle shop in Youghal even when Pratts sold some tackle that wasnt very good.
eochailjake
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby razor2 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:50 am

Hi everyone,
Theres a good man in ballycotton call at any time,he will get you what you want .I know hes down south but he knows his stuff and wont put you wrong with any rod bait ect.Hes on this site .
razor2
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 196 times

Postby AG » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:59 pm

razor2 wrote:Hi everyone,
Theres a good man in ballycotton call at any time,he will get you what you want .I know hes down south but he knows his stuff and wont put you wrong with any rod bait ect.Hes on this site .

its not about the " ill get you what you want in " its about having it there when you walk in :!:
AG

Postby razor2 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:38 pm

Its hard to please everyones taste in takle .But there are a few very good shops in cork.
razor2
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 196 times

Postby doggie3131 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:32 pm

[quote=]

personaly speaking i worked in dunlaoghaire angling a for the last 2 summers , and i often asked my boss why he didnt sell the higher end gear? simply speaking it was too expensive to sell, we were able to buy it off our wholesalers for only a fraction more than i could get it from the likes of veals. the cheaper stuff is where the money is, its got a higher turn over rate than the higher stuff, cheaper to buy in and is therefore more appealing, theres more average joe bloggses out there than there is top anglers and casters. holiday and summer fishing is where the profits are had, cant expect tackle shops to more effort inwheeling and dealing higher end gear when they can sell pack of feathers and contenders all year long hassle free.[/quote]

while i agree about the need to sell cheap gear for the tourist market, i wonder why tackle shops think that they can ignore the lads that fish all year round and might need better quality gear,i mean they will sell the better produce, just over a longer length of time,when i go looking for line,rig components,quality rods,reels,etc,i would have to use at least five different shops to gather all the gear i need,i want to shop locally but its getting harder and harder to stay buying locally,it has taken me two years to build up my small collection of rods and reels because of the lack of choice in my local shops,most of my quality gear i have bought here,and im fed up of been told "i'll get it for you"and then have to wait months to get it if ever!
species 2012.........(12)seatrout,bass,turbot,flounder,brill,lsd,coalie,shore rockling,pollock,pout,poor cod,gray gurnard

species 2011 (20) flounder,whiting,poor cod,5 beard rockling,lsd.coalie,thornie,three bearded rockling,shore rockling.seatrout.turbot,plaice,brill,pollock,ballen wrasse.huss,pout,cookoo wrasse,corking wrasse,dab.

species 2010,(27)

PROUD member of Galway Buccaneers SAC
doggie3131
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 24 times
Blog: View Blog (5)

Postby MC » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:44 pm

i must be blessed i have a local tackle shop that gets in things, just give him a afew days notice and he does his best. Also have a tackle shop owner in the casting club so able to get almost anything (except zziplex, he's a century dealer :lol: )
MC
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 385 times

Postby derrydonegal09 » Thu May 13, 2010 8:21 pm

very little
derrydonegal09

Previous

Return to Casting