What should I learn next?

A forum to discuss casting techniques and events. For the angler wishing to increase his distance and the tournament caster.

Moderators: paddyc, kstaff

What should I learn next?

Postby ian 123 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:06 pm

Hi lads, I have been using the off the ground cast since i started fishing and decided its time to learn something new to try and add a few yards to my cast. I was just wondering if anyone can tell me what cast I should be trying to learn next? Im using a fixed spool reel if that makes any difference. cheers, Ian
ian 123
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 1 time

Re: What should I learn next?

Postby MAC » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:53 pm

Hi Ian,

To gain those extra yards you need to use clipped rigs to help streamline everything. The problem with the off the ground cast is that your rigs will un-clip when the lead is placed on the ground.

From a casting point of view you have a few choices. You could look to move towards a pendulum style cast, not alot of people are doing it with fixed spool rods, but Paul Mason, a regular poster here is the man to PM about using fixed spools with this style. He is also a serious match angler as well and can help you to applying this style of casting into a fishing situation. Hopefully he will see this thread and chime in.

Another option is to switch to a 15 - 16 foot rod. These rods provide a greater arc for your lead and can add considerable yards, even with a simple overhead thump.

You should also think of joining Sports Cast Ireland, The lads can put your technique right from the start and sometimes it's the simple things that gain you those extra yards.....lots of options for you there mate....

Best of luck,

Kev
><º> ><º>

><º>
MAC
SAC Treasurer

Have thanks: 178 times

Re: What should I learn next?

Postby paddyc » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:16 pm

As Mac said, your more than welcome to drop down to one of our club meets, it only takes a short while to get you on the right track
Cast-Monkey :-)
-----------------------------
SPORTSCAST IRELAND
paddyc
Casting Tart

Have thanks: 179 times

Return to Casting