Switch to full style
A forum to discuss casting techniques and events. For the angler wishing to increase his distance and the tournament caster.
Topic locked

Century Carbon Metal SRE 5m

Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:48 pm

I'm going to have a few casts of the above this weekend. It's rated 125-175g. Going to start off with 125g but just wondering if it's ok to really hit this rod in an OTG cast or take it easy and smooth. Would there be a chance of breaking it if i hit it too hard? Only reason I ask is i had an 'unfortunate incident' with a rod earlier this week that has shook my confidence in long rods a bit. Would 200 yds be asking too much from this rod? Was going to start it off with an Ultegra 5500 and maybe move on to an old Abu Elite if that works out ok. Any advice welcome as I'm not the world's best caster by any stretch.

Re: Century Carbon Metal SRE 5m

Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:46 am

hit it and hit it hard ,if it snaps its no good!

Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:02 pm

roger de dodger wrote:hit it and hit it hard ,if it snaps its no good!

I think that was what led to the 'unfortunate incident' earlier in the week when he was ehhh... 'breaking in' another new rod. :wink: :lol: Sorry Ronan I shouldn't laugh but please tell me that this rod lasted more than a day.

Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:09 pm

Slow and smooth should give you a good feel for what it's capeable of! That said I've seen lads thrash these badly when casting and there were no probs! The rod won't give you 200 yards, that's up to your technique.
I suggest casting off the ground with 150g and keep it slow!

Keep us posted,

Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:40 pm

used one for a while and i didn't break it :lol: :lol: in fact mark sinnot uses it now, i reckon with a good technique you could hit 200 with out bait of course

Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:39 pm

took the rod out for a few casts over the weekend - took it nice and easy with 110gm and managed 130-140yds pretty consistently. Didn't want to go too crazy with it but will definitely move up to 130 and 150gms next time.
I know i shouldn't mention it but it does cast an unclipped bait pretty effortlessly too...

Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:42 pm

theres a lad in our club who has one and really goes for it when he casts, its over a year old now and
if you saw his style you'd have no doubt that it can take a serious bit of punishment. he also claims 200yards but thats
a bit dubious

Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:54 pm

I bought one of these rods 2 weeks ago, fished with it for the second time this morning and it SNAPPED. Needless to say im not very happy.

Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:01 pm

davyp1 wrote:I bought one of these rods 2 weeks ago, fished with it for the second time this morning and it SNAPPED. Needless to say im not very happy.

jesus davy, thats hard luck!! hope you bought it local,and can get a refund!
Topic locked