casting event?

A forum to discuss casting techniques and events. For the angler wishing to increase his distance and the tournament caster.

Moderators: paddyc, kstaff

Postby m.b3 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:11 pm

sorry i posted same thing twice... :roll:
Last edited by m.b3 on Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
m.b3
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 143 times
Blog: View Blog (8)

Postby m.b3 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:11 pm

beachcaster when you get stuck at a certain distance(as i am!) and you finally start getting further how easy is it to keep up the better distance? can it fall back to old distance easy?

Paul if you want some-one eager to learn i'd be more than happy to oblige! getting over 150 is easy but breaking 200 is a struggle for me.
m.b3
SAI Megalodon!

Postby Seaniebo » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:56 am

Paul, you werent being crude, I thought you were having a pop at these lads for trying to organise their own event so it was my mistake. I remember that evening on greystones, weather was atrocious and the fishing wasnt much better!
I require a tremendous amount of calcium

http://www.saisac.org/
Seaniebo
Unstoppable....

Have thanks: 83 times

Postby BigPhil » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:34 am

this may sound stupid but would it be an idea to try to get something running and off the ground at a provincial level? i dont mean like an interprovincial competition but perhaps put something out through all clubs that if anyone is interested in developing something at a casting level at a few lessons are organised first and then some small competitions between each other at these?
it would perhaps be a start of something?
surely there would be some venue in each province which would suit the like?someone who knows an obliging farmer with flat land, out of harms way??
i am by no means a big caster but i know that i would love to improve my distance with both fixed spool and multiplier set ups as it would be a help to angling on certain venues.
if the thing got up and going properly, who knows, ireland might well have produce a team capable of beating some of the other home nations eventually? i know we currently have some guys who are more than capable of it and if they could help bring some others along with them and instruct etc well and good.perhaps its something to be looking at for the months of better weather?

a lot of ideas there but its maybe better leaving it to someone who has been involved in the like before to give us more positive feedback and advice?

at the end of the day it is now another branch of our sport so why not try to get involved and see what comes from it??? :?
Not the BigPhil from Irish Angler mag, I'm the original, i swear!!!!
BigPhil
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 13 times

Postby m.b3 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:09 am

i fully agree Phil. trying to get info on it at present with the hope of organizing something. is there enough interest though?
m.b3
SAI Megalodon!

casting

Postby AG » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:39 am

i ran casting for over 10 years hear . lack of interest killed it . i would love to see it back but i dont have the time anymore but i would love to cast again . i am casting in the uk with john henry this year . i will be at the show at the airport next month to give advice etc
AG
Need your account moneys for new Zziplex

Have thanks: 45 times

Postby beachcaster » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:37 pm

mb3 when you improve your distance it is usually your technique and timeing are improving so my advice is to keep the practise up and it should stay.one of the most important casts in practise is the off the ground cast which is the basis of the full pendulm,so a lot of work on the off the ground cast will pay of in the long run.on the tournament field they cast with a wide range of weights ranging from 18grm to 175 grm and the odd 200 grm lead aswell.there is no one i know who makes these moulds anymore so they are difficult to get???the 3,4,5,6 oz leads are not the same at all and make a big difference.the ulster federation where to arrange a day for casting and i can get some very good casters to attend but it seem to have fallen through,the thing to do is go to enjoy you self and dont take it to seriously.i would be prepared to arrange a meet but it would have to be on a beach as i dont know any farmers with a field in the right place and big enough.
Last edited by beachcaster on Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beachcaster
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 1 time

casting

Postby AG » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:09 pm

it might be worth a go but i think the ifsa are willing to cover casting with there insurance if the casting was run as a part of the ifsa?
AG

Postby RobertMcClean » Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:57 pm

I would be interested in starting this up again, if Andrew G would provide a few pointers for us :lol: :lol: There is a Country side and alliance policy you can purchase for €25 which covers such events. Andrew, correct me if I am wrong but when you use to give the lessons on Sandymount did IMASA cover insurance?
Thresher
Call Sign: EIDV5
RobertMcClean
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 8 times

Postby AG » Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:01 pm

yes . imasa is long gone but cips run an international event each year and everyone bar us sends a team . the ifsa should have all the info for you
AG

Postby x » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:20 pm

I think there would be enough interest. After all, how many anglers do you talk to who are happy with their distance? Distance casting is no guarantee of fish, but having the potential in reserve gives you an option that others around you might lack so it's a useful addition to the arsenal. I think what it comes down to is having an event near you - it's a convenience thing. So even if you only had a handful at any given event, it'll probably grow to fill in the blanks around the country.

I think a lot of people are turned off by the idea of just casting - it's (IMHO) like reading cricket results cricket or watching it on the TV - sends me to sleep instantly. I always skip the casting section in the mags. But I used to play cricket at school and it was good for a laugh. So I'd say if there were more local meets, more people might get into it - maybe not for the sake of casting, but to get a bit more distance for the beach.

If we could cobble together a few local 'clubs' and start a bit of 'friendly' competition, it might just lead to the finding of some real talent and a few international contenders.

I'm taking LSD (:lol:) and going to the next northern casting event. (Purely to see if K2 really does get the shakes, seperation anxiety, and binge eat to compensate when he's away from the 'Dee pier for more time than it takes him to nip home to post results - my casting is probably beyond mortal help anyway :lol: )

If nothing else, somebody who knows how to cast should be able to try my kit and show me what theycan do in the right hands or laugh and tell me to get some real rods. That'd be a good start for me. Any casting tips I pick up will be a bonus.

Anyone else interested in similar events around the country? If so, where?
x

Postby Drew » Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:56 pm

Sandman wrote:
I'm taking LSD (:lol:) and going to the next northern casting event. (Purely to see if K2 really does get the shakes, seperation anxiety, and binge eat to compensate when he's away from the 'Dee pier for more time than it takes him to nip home to post results - my casting is probably beyond mortal help anyway :lol: )

Bring Sandwiches. :wink:

I was down there tonight, in the rain, it was fun.
2015 Lure: Pollack, Herring, Whiting, Sand Goby, Poor Cod, Pouting

42 Species to beat 2011 & 2014
Drew
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 101 times

Postby RobertMcClean » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:45 am

Andrew, why don't you and Henry place a date for this in the near future?
Thresher
RobertMcClean
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby MAC » Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:02 pm

If it was to be a beach venue then maybe somewhere off the M1 so people from different areas could attend. I'm thinking Gormanstown or some where like that. Should be very few people around these beaches this time of year. I think we should look at a date and just go for it.

Kev
><º> ><º>

><º>
MAC
SAC Treasurer

Have thanks: 178 times

casting club

Postby AG » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:03 am

the ifsa has given the green light to set up a casting club in ireland to be affiliated and there insurance will cover all events held here . it gives a great start to set up a new official castin club here and hopefully an irish team to send along with the fishing team to the world championships. they ask of a minimum 12 members cost is around 250 euro a year so the moe members the cheaper it gets ,
AG

Postby RobertMcClean » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:05 am

Good stuff Andrew :D :D
Thresher
RobertMcClean
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby Cooke » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:21 am

Andrew