Switch to full style
A forum to discuss casting techniques and events. For the angler wishing to increase his distance and the tournament caster.
Topic locked

always birdnest when the power is on??

Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:20 pm

Guys im a beginner to the multipliers, I have an Okuma magnetics and Im using a 14ft Penn Surfblaster Ruff Stuff and its very stiff. Does anyone have experiance with this rod and reel? Is it possible to hit 200 yards plus with this combination, I can only hit about 150. So everytime I go for the big one using an off the ground cast (not into the pendulums yet) I get wonder birdnests, I think it is because the spool is slipping under my fingers too early in the swing. Does this sound like the reason? The wieght goes out about 80-90 yards then I hear the spool cracklin, the wieght stops in midair an comes back towards me.

Re: always birdnest when the power is on??

Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:30 pm

if its 80 yards out its not spool slip. could be the mags are not full on ? or even down to line lay ? if your hitting 150 yards your cast must be ok so something like the above comes into play '

Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:44 pm

Your setup should be grand for 200yrds. I have the Outasight myself it has a lot less power but still capable of 200+.

Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:50 pm

thanks guys, yeah I think it might be line lay, I remember getting a bad snag before I went for the cast I will have to keep an eye on that to see if it occurs again after a cast. an sweet if I can hit 200+

Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:56 pm

You are more than welcome to take a run up to one of the Ulster Casting club meets. Should be able to give you a few pointers plus you will have a measured court to play around on.

Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:48 am

Cool thanks I will check the site out and get the details
Topic locked