Self Teaching

Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:52 pm

Right lads, time is a premuim these days and I was wondering is there any technique I can self teach myself to pendulum cast.

any help greatly appreciated

cheers
stevie

Re: Self Teaching

Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:12 pm

An empty beach or field and a plain lead is all you need, oh and obviously an idea of how to do it.

I'm sure if you search you-tube, there will be a videos of it being done, then just try to visualise it for when you hit the beach/field, alternatively try to get out fishing with a few guys who can cast that way and just watch how its done.

Thats how I picked it up, but must admit I've still got to fine tune my technique somewhat :oops:

Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:16 pm

I watched Eric and DBrock pendulum casting at the weekend. It looked effortless. It look class.

Definitely going to put some effort into learning how to do it.

I reckon probably the best way is to get a video camera set up and see exactly what I am doing because my cast feels awful tbh

Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:02 pm

try the total sea fishing web site there is a vedio on how to pendulum cast. i would put up a link if i new how :oops: :oops: :oops:

Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:15 pm

Follow this set up for a start, the groundcast is a solid base before mastering the pendulum, arms away from the body,get your head around early look up, but not to where the lead is, and be slow and smooth with the hit. Don't worry about the distance at first work on the set up.

Keep at it until it until it's natural, easy and the lead goes far with no effort!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=f12rBB-mgDU

Lesson 2 will follow this first one! :D

Remember this is for practise, you don't need to do it when fishing, use a tennis ball over your lead to save you walking!

Regards,

Kstaff.

150 plus yards with ease!!!

Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:50 pm

Video link not working Keith :cry:

Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:16 pm

link ok now, thanks to Mr Holden!

Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:13 am

cheers lads. going to get out to the field and practise. there is a field up behind us i might take a dander up tonight before football and practise for while

Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:43 pm

the main problem with of the ground casting is that I dont get the opportunity to do it enough because my baits are always clipped down and flappers only go 30 yards into the surf. so If I need distance I end swinging the lead like a donkey and just hitting an over head thump. Maybe I am better getting some tuition on this one!!

Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:12 pm

Hi Steve, why not come out to fairyhouse this sunday, we usually start around 11:00/ish, membership is only E50 and you will get to see everything 1st hand, along with all the advice/pointers you will need to start off on the "right" foot and not develop any bad habbits that will be hard to shake off later down the line..

Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:43 pm

Cheers for the offer paddy. Im based in belfast here... too far for me to travel...... thanks for the offer mate

Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:21 pm

Paddy wouldn't be great at the Geography now but he's a great casting teacher! :D

Forget doing it fishing just do it practising!! Don't try run before you can walk!

Time spent doing it correct now will mean you end up doing it well all the time, not a half right ass style that gets you by occasionally!!

Regards,

Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:11 pm

Thorniefish wrote:Cheers for the offer paddy. Im based in belfast here... too far for me to travel...... thanks for the offer mate

the Ulster casting club is closer mate, www.ulstercastingclub.org/index i am sure we'll help you, you may even become addicted to casting

Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:58 am

hears the link http://www.totalseamagazine.com/Videos/ ... /video_45/

Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:17 pm

MC wrote:
Thorniefish wrote:Cheers for the offer paddy. Im based in belfast here... too far for me to travel...... thanks for the offer mate

the Ulster casting club is closer mate, http://www.ulstercastingclub.org/index i am sure we'll help you, you may even become addicted to casting

Cheers. mate. I reckon I need to get this casting sorted out soon.

Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:49 pm

I got a bit of practise done over the weekend. i noticed that my left arm was swinging too far around to the left and it was more like a U shape. so I have a lot to sort. I will try and get a camera set up so I can have a proper look at my technique.

Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:31 pm

Is it ok to do pendulum swing on a fixed spool?

Thanks

Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:28 am

No problem whatsoever, wear a finger guard though!

Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:12 pm

alright go easy on me here. I have been in the local park trying to pendulum cast. I know there is quite a bit to go.
The problems I have noticed are
My Feet are crazy legs
I think I'm hitting it too early
Im not letting the ball/weight hitting the top of the swing
Im not looking up up early enough

http://youtube.com/watch?v=j-_KEiKIwXI

Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:26 pm

i thinks its pretty good for a first attempt at the pendulum,