Back to basics

A forum to discuss casting techniques and events. For the angler wishing to increase his distance and the tournament caster.

Moderators: paddyc, kstaff

Back to basics

Postby JPS » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:30 pm

Well after some less than satisfactory practice sessions I have decided to go back to the basics again to get some better form.

The video clip shows me doing some OTG with the WR300 casting my practice weight which is a canvas tube with sand in it. The reell is a standard ABU 6500 CT sports rocket with a LOT of reel grease in the bearings.
This allows me to totally focus on what I need to with no worries about the reel backlashing or that the weight may break of and hurt anyone.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=02eMnZNHRvs

I will stick with this and a modified pendulum for a while before really trying to add in the power.

Comments welcome :mrgreen:
JPS
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 18 times

Re: Back to basics

Postby THE BROW » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:43 pm

sry to sound stupid now but im new to beach casting and find it hard to get a good cast wit a 13ft rod heard of otg cast but didnt think it would be like that would u do that wit bait wit that kind of power
THE BROW
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 25 times

Re: Back to basics

Postby JPS » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:46 am

Brow ,

When I am fishing from the beach I generally use a flatter style pendulum with not as much rotation . It also depends on what bait I use as to the power that I can put into the cast. With Squid and the tougher fillet baits I belt them quite a bit but with Pippies or Mussel baits I take it a lot slower and softer. I generally use my Century TTLD when casting with softer baits as it loads up well with a slower progressive cast.
The Kompressor S and Zziplex XTR sport are generally used for the larger and tougher baits when fishing :mrgreen:

Regards :mrgreen:
JPS
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 18 times

Return to Casting