Technique (or lack of)

A forum to discuss casting techniques and events. For the angler wishing to increase his distance and the tournament caster.

Moderators: paddyc, kstaff

Technique (or lack of)

Postby beebub2 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:18 pm

Hi,

New to fishing and got myself a 12ft beach caster. My casting is not great to say the least and I have a tendancy to cast to the left for some reason and I don't know why. I cast cack handed (right hand on bottom of rod, left hand higher and over my left shoulder). Clearly this is part of the reason why it goes left. Any suggestions? Is it possible I'l letting go too soon? I tried to let go later last time out but either held on too long or got my fingers caught in the line as I had a crack off.

It got worse in the wind. Wind was blowing right to left with reasonalby big surf (for the beach I was at). I couldn't seem to get it far enough out as it always went left and then got caught in the current/ waves and ended up almost at 90 degrees from the rod. This means I couldn't have been more than 50 feet from the shore in the middle of the sizeable waves.

Only twice in a 2 hour session did I get it far enough out to miss the waves, even then it continued to drift left (though not as much). I had 6 Oz gripper weight in the line.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Species 2010 (12) Whiting (40), Coalfish (4), Pollack (9), 3 bearded Rockling (1), Codling (4), Ballen Wrasse (1), Pouting (1), Dab (4), Alien (1), Red Gurnard (2), Tub Gurnard (1), Mackerel (35)
beebub2
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 2 times

Re: Technique (or lack of)

Postby gfkelly1969 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:39 pm

hi beebub2
don't worry you will get better,post the area that you fish and i am sure some members on this site will be able to give you some lessons
lifetime species fishing and rock pool
1 dogfish,2 whiting,3 flounder,4 two spot goby,5 mackerel,6 pollack,7 common blenny,8 European eel,9 butterfish,10 Deep-snouted pipefish,11 rock goby,12 poor cod,13 corkwing wrasse,14 coalfish,15 turbot,16 tompot blenny,17 dab,18 dragonet,19 shorerockling,20 thornback ray,21 three bearded rockling,22 sandeel,23 grey gurnard,24 sea scorpion,25 scad,26 plaice,27 ballen wrasse,28 bullhuss,29 conger eel,30 blue shark,31 blonde ray,32 cod,33 pouting,34 topknot,35 Fifteen-spine Stickleback,36 mullet,37 Sand Goby,38 Montagu's Blenny,39 Three-spined Stickleback,40 goldshinny wrasse,41 painted goby,42 five bearded rockling,43 Sand-Smelt,44 Small-headed Clingfish ,45 sole

http://clifdenfishing.webs.com

http://clifdensearay.webs.com/
gfkelly1969
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 223 times

Postby paddyc » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:45 am

There are a few reasons that can cause this,
most likey bringing the power in too soon and cutting the corner (Chopping the cast) try lengthening your drop by a few inches and slow down the whole cast,, another is giving it to much of one arm (i.e left arm if you are going left).. Hope this helps
Cast-Monkey :-)
-----------------------------
SPORTSCAST IRELAND
paddyc
Casting Tart

Have thanks: 179 times

Postby beebub2 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:11 am

Thanks guys.

Paddy, that sounds like it could be my problem. I've had the swivel at the top of the rig pretty close to the end of the rod and I have a tendancy to whip the rod too fast. I'll try your suggestion next time.

Cheers.
Species 2010 (12) Whiting (40), Coalfish (4), Pollack (9), 3 bearded Rockling (1), Codling (4), Ballen Wrasse (1), Pouting (1), Dab (4), Alien (1), Red Gurnard (2), Tub Gurnard (1), Mackerel (35)
beebub2
SAI Hammerhead

Postby beebub2 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:20 pm

Update.

I tried some of the suggestions above and they appear to be working.

I also realised that casting in a gale (as I was when the rig was going sharply left) is going to make it all the more difficult to cast straight. I was in the same place last Sunday in a gale with the wind going the other way and the line went sharply to the right!

I tried lengthening the drop a few inches and cast more slomly. I also read somewhere that I should watch the end of the rod as I'm casting. I tried all 3 on Wednesday from Bray harbour in not inconsiderable wind and was getting it pretty straight 9 thimes out of 10.

Thanks again for the tips; I suppose now it's just down to practice.
beebub2
SAI Hammerhead

Postby paddyc » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:09 am

beebub2 wrote:I also read somewhere that I should watch the end of the rod as I'm casting.

Not the case, once the lead has come back from the initial out swing the first thing to do is turn your head up to your target, (45 degrees high in the sky in the direction you want it to go) this is vital as the lead will only go where your head is looking.
When casting in strong winds you can try cast at a slightly lower trajectory and slightly more in the direction of the wind, its the same in golf you have to take wind speed into account, so if its blowing from left to right you will need to cast slightly more left to allow for the wind to vere you right and on to your target. If you still stuck im in greystones (not far from bray) give me a shout.
SPORTSCAST IRELAND
paddyc
Casting Tart

Postby beebub2 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:35 pm

Further update:

Eric very kindly offered to give me a lesson in casting or at least look at my shambolic efforts to see where I was going wrong. So we met up the other night, he came down especially just to give me a hand. He showed me a few simple ideas to start me off on the right road to casting properly. By the end of the night there was a marked difference in not only the distances I was getting but also with the smoothness with which I was casting. He gave me a few bait tips also which were great to get.

I just wanted to publicly thank Eric for taking the time to help me out. It was very much appreciated.

He also managed a pretty amazing feat in the midst of his instruction. To make things easier and just for demonstrating casting technique he suggested I take off the rig and the gripper weight and just put an ordinary, non-gripper weight (sorry I don't know the proper terminology - anyone??) on the lin on its own. He managed to not only get the ordinary weight snagged but also lost it on the first cast. I didn't know it was possible to get snagged without a hook. I suppose it takes years of practice??
beebub2
SAI Hammerhead

Postby eric » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:57 pm

many many years of practice and perhaps one day too, you can achieve such amazing results!! glad to be of help to you richard, pleasure meeting you and steven
species for 2009 (42)
species for 2010 (27)
species for 2011 (12)
species for 2012 (8)
[i][b][color=#0000BF] best advice for catching species is girls dont like fishing and its hard to catch fish when you sell all your gear'[/color][/b][/i]
eric
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 13 times

Postby dbrock » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:01 pm

fair play eric well done
fintasticaquatics
http://www.ecrsac.com
EAST COAST RAIDERS MEMBER 2011
SPORTSCAST IRELAND 2011
dbrock
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 58 times

Postby JOHN1 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:09 pm

good man eric :wink: fair play.

thats what its all about,

making money how much an hour do you charge :lol: :lol:
Species Target (1) Anything will be a Bonus.

BALLYBRACK SAC.
EFSA.
SouthShore SAC.
JOHN1
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 598 times

Postby eric » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:01 pm

JOHN1 wrote:good man eric :wink: fair play.

1 million dollars :lol: , a hug and a cuddle is more than enough,

for real advice talk to paddyc for tuition, he's very patient and will have you casting decently within the hour
species for 2009 (42)
species for 2010 (27)
species for 2011 (12)
species for 2012 (8)
[i][b][color=#0000BF] best advice for catching species is girls dont like fishing and its hard to catch fish when you sell all your gear'[/color][/b][/i]
eric
SAI Megalodon!

Postby JOHN1 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:18 pm

eric wrote:
JOHN1 wrote:good man eric :wink: fair play.

1 million dollars :lol: , a hug and a cuddle is more than enough,

for real advice talk to paddyc for tuition, he's very patient and will have you casting decently within the hour

:lol: :lol: :lol: i take it that was directed at me.

looks like you had to turn to him yourself for a bit of tuition.
ah it must be great to be young as you have a lot to learn :wink: :lol: :lol:

you should not be offering hugs and cuddles to older men over the internet :lol: :lol: :lol:

BALLYBRACK SAC.
EFSA.
SouthShore SAC.
JOHN1
SAI Megalodon!

Postby eric » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:49 pm

actually i did get a lesson of paddy, and yes he did help, (il put a laughing smiley here for no reason i guess) :lol: :lol:

hate to be as old as you, cause youl never get to learn all the things i will :wink: :lol:

and i like old men as the generely friendly folk, 'can i have some more sweets sir?'
species for 2009 (42)
species for 2010 (27)
species for 2011 (12)
species for 2012 (8)
eric
SAI Megalodon!

Postby kstaff » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:01 am

Fair play Eric very good of ya!
Blue n White is the new Black!!!
kstaff
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 308 times

Postby beebub2 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:00 pm

a hug and a cuddle is more than enough

I'd just like to categorically state for the record that at no point on Killiney beach in the dark did my gratitude to Eric for helping me with my casting extend in any way to anything approximating a hug or indeed a cuddle.

Whatever happened after Eric left us and headed for home on his own on Killiney beach in the dark is entirely his business.
beebub2
SAI Hammerhead

Postby eric » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:05 pm

beebub2 wrote:
a hug and a cuddle is more than enough

I'd just like to categorically state for the record that at no point on Killiney beach in the dark did my gratitude to Eric for helping me with my casting extend in any way to anything approximating a hug or indeed a cuddle.

Whatever happened after Eric left us and headed for home on his own on Killiney beach in the dark is entirely his business.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
species for 2009 (42)
species for 2010 (27)
species for 2011 (12)
species for 2012 (8)
eric
SAI Megalodon!

Postby AG » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:38 pm

paddy likes to dish out alot of man love when teaching :shock: oh hello sailor boy :lol:
AG
Need your account moneys for new Zziplex

Have thanks: 45 times

Postby dbrock » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:06 pm

AG wrote:paddy likes to dish out alot of man love when teaching :shock: oh hello sailor boy :lol:

dear god ill def not be looking for advice now :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
fintasticaquatics
http://www.ecrsac.com
EAST COAST RAIDERS MEMBER 2011
SPORTSCAST IRELAND 2011
dbrock
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 58 times

Postby JOHN1 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:27 am

eric wrote:actually i did get a lesson of paddy, 'can i have some more sweets sir?'

i think you might have opened a

can of jelly worms young eric :lol: :lol:

BALLYBRACK SAC.
EFSA.
SouthShore SAC.
JOHN1
SAI Megalodon!

Postby paddyc » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:07 pm

beebub2 wrote:I'd just like to categorically state for the record that at no point

I too would like to issue the same statment before this gets out of hand
SPORTSCAST IRELAND
paddyc
Casting Tart

Next

Return to Casting