Casting?

A forum to discuss casting techniques and events. For the angler wishing to increase his distance and the tournament caster.

Moderators: paddyc, kstaff

Casting?

Postby scubaSteve » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:53 pm

Hello
Im kind of new to the whole beach fishing sence for years i was only interested with mackeral off the local pier in the summer time i recently bought a abu stigma beach caster and a abu 6500 mag elite(the red one)
having trying for months to get a good cast i had little/no success with the pendulum cast and i seem to ihave a pretty good off the ground cast but the distance im getting i can get with a fixed spool. So just a few questions and your answers would be greatly appriecated at which point on the pendulum should i begin to cast? and also a lot of the videos i have seen the reel is at the base of the rod i do have a adjustable reel seat so does lowering the reel have any avantage? even if the reel is in the wrong hand?
thanks very much
scubaSteve

Re: Casting?

Postby fishinmidget » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:53 pm

if your not getting more distance on the OTG than you are with a normal cast with a fixed spool, you aren't ready to try a pendulum.

keep going with the OTG for the moment, practise being smooth through the cast and gradually build up the power.

as for reel position, its personal. i have the reel low because it make the rod feel slightly softer(in my opinion) but i know someone who uses the reel high and is getting better distance than me.

if you can post up a video of yourself OTG casting theres a few people on here that will be able to tell you exactly what the problem is.

Alex
SACN number: 0688

Le rosbif......
fishinmidget
Casting Tart

Have thanks: 36 times
Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: Casting?

Postby paddyc » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:50 am

Sound advice there from Alex, master the OTG before moving on to the pendulum, it will serve you well.
scubaSteve wrote:lowering the reel, any avantage? even if the reel is in the wrong hand?

Go with what ever is most comfortable for you.
Cast-Monkey :-)
-----------------------------
SPORTSCAST IRELAND
paddyc
Casting Tart

Have thanks: 179 times

Return to Casting