Sunday's Practice

Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:07 pm

Here is a clip from Sunday's practice session where we have Luke using his Kompressor S and David who is new to casting overheads. Great work from Dave who after only two sessions with the Overhead has been able to achieve 160+ meters.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=mRb97jPPkfs

Comments or suggestions welcome :D

Re: Sunday's Practice

Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:11 pm

I jealous as hell of the nice weather.....ohh to be in a field in the T shirt having a cast.....

Keep that left arm up Jeremy...... looks a little low on the first throw.

David's looking good and you can see why he's hitting the160 mark..... excellent use of the left arm.

Keep the clips coming guys, it will be a while before we get a chance to put a few up from our side.

Kev

Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:01 pm

Kev your right on the money , since I have been fishing over the last few months I have gotten into a few lazy habbits that I am getting out of once again.

The weather here has turned to @#$$ with howling S/W of 25 to 40 knots and rain over the next few days. Hopefully it will clear quickly so that I can hit the field again and do a bit more video .

Regards :mrgreen:

Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:33 pm

hello jeremy , the guy casting off the ground , left arm way to high,
that is a cast in its own right, high inersha ground cast more akin to
a brighton-cast for casting in a confined amount of space, i see he is
casting reel high would drop it low for sure,especially on a 13ft 10 rod,
needs to be set up right for the cast foot positioning in particular, at the
minute he is not using proper body rotation, just using upper body
strength to acheive the cast,he is coming over the top with the cast,
should be around and through, transverence of body weight will
cetainly help with this, have a look at tommy farmer perfoming this cast
probably the best exponent of the ground cast in the world,
regards steve.

Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:50 pm

Steve ,

Thanks for the feedback and I understand the points that you are making.

Dave hasn't used overheads before and these clips are of only his second session with the cast as well as him trying out a new rod that he built up. I will pass on the feedback for him as well as give him some of the footage of Tommy that I have from the Big danny event etc.

regards :mrgreen:

Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:59 pm

JPS wrote:Kev your right on the money , since I have been fishing over the last few months I have gotten into a few lazy habbits that I am getting out of once again.

Could be the bigger step throwing you off a little again, hard to tell from the vid. I suffer from the very same problem.. Can't open the body enough for the hit without a bigger step. With the bigger step I seem to let the right shoulder drop a little as I am looking for some extra juice and body rotation. I'm still trying to get to grips with casting myself, but I love looking at different swings and styles in detail.

Keep em coming..... I'll try get out with Kstaff a bit over the coming days and get a few away.

Kev