Terry Carroll - Brighton Cast

A forum to discuss casting techniques and events. For the angler wishing to increase his distance and the tournament caster.

Moderators: paddyc, kstaff

Terry Carroll - Brighton Cast

Postby Rockhopper » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:46 am

Andy Miller just sent me this link of Terry Carroll aka Mr Zziplex showing Barny Wright from Total Sea Fishing how the Brighton cast is done and why

http://www.totalseamagazine.com:80/index.php

Tom.
Rockhopper

brighton-cast

Postby weaverboy » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:57 pm

great stuff tom, super little clip, kept simple , basic dynamic of casting,
sorry about the pun, lots of terrys rods suit it though.

steve,
weaverboy

Postby paddyc » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:03 pm

Excelent!! Great to see terry still doing a bit.
Cast-Monkey :-)
-----------------------------
SPORTSCAST IRELAND
paddyc
Casting Tart

Have thanks: 179 times

Postby kstaff » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:35 pm

How easy does he make that look!! Nothing can beat sound technique!!

What was the rod and where can I get 1 of those patches? :D
Blue n White is the new Black!!!
kstaff
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 308 times

Postby MC » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:35 pm

dont want another zziplex, dont want another zziplex, dont want another zziplex, well not for another 6 months, but that patch i would take now :lol:
MC
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 383 times

Postby Kraken » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:08 am

Terry was on about using a "thumbie"

I reckon i know what they are but where do I get one of them??

Have had probs lately with gripping spool when line is wet - hands must be shrinking cos it never used to happen before :roll: :roll: :D :) :D :roll:

john.
2009 Species:- Whiting, Dogfish, Bass, 3 Bearded Rockling

PB Casting Distances:- when I hit 200 I'll post it here

IFSA No.
SACN No. 0714

Steal a little and they throw you in jail.....Steal a lot and they make you King!!!!!!!!
Kraken
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 2 times

Postby Rockhopper » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:05 am

John,

Some guys use a kitchen type rubber glove, you can cut 25mm sections out of the fingers and get enough "thumbies" to last a good while....if you get a good grip it will maximize the power load your putting into the cast, it only take a little slippage to lose a lot of the power.

Dont put the thumbie onto the pad of your thumb, put it around the joint, then if you need to thumb the line at the end of the cast you wont damage the line (only your thumb) :lol:

Tom.
Rockhopper

Postby Jonny » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:26 am

I use this stuff.

[url]http://www.screwfix.com/prods/34666/Sealants-Adhesives/Tapes/Building-Tape/NN-Self-Amalgamating-Rubber-Tape-19mm-x-10m[/url]

Very comfortable and brilliant grip.
My Photos

Casting Related Photos

Better to understand a little than to misunderstand a lot.
Jonny
Wayward Legs

Have thanks: 4 times

Postby paddyc » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:50 am

I use some inner tube from a bike, easily got and can be cut to any size, and cheap.
Cast-Monkey :-)
-----------------------------
SPORTSCAST IRELAND
paddyc
Casting Tart

Have thanks: 179 times

Postby okuma » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:24 pm

using this cast for a while now,the only difference i wont let the lead lay down on sand,i do swing it and on inswing i let lead go higher than a rod itself and on outswing i lift rod up and back a litlle to get more tension and just chuck it....to be honest rod bends more than doing pendulum
okuma

Postby Kraken » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:48 pm

Cheers for the info lads -

tried this cast today and have to say its nice and smooth - almost effortless in fact - still get good distance too

john.
2009 Species:- Whiting, Dogfish, Bass, 3 Bearded Rockling

PB Casting Distances:- when I hit 200 I'll post it here

IFSA No.
SACN No. 0714

Steal a little and they throw you in jail.....Steal a lot and they make you King!!!!!!!!
Kraken
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 2 times

Re: .

Postby Rockhopper » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:01 pm

okuma wrote:using this cast for a while now,the only difference i wont let the lead lay down on sand,i do swing it and on inswing i let lead go higher than a rod itself and on outswing i lift rod up and back a litlle to get more tension and just chuck it....to be honest rod bends more than doing pendulum

You can hit the rod almost anytime the lead is heading back towards you and be reasonably safe, let the lead come higher than the rod and sooner or later your going to break the tip off a rod.

What that video doesnt tell you is that with that kind of overhead thump you need a powerful rod. You can even hit the rod while the lead is going away from you and still get power into the cast....but to do what you say (if I pick you up right) is heading for a broken rod.

Tom.
Rockhopper

Re: .

Postby okuma » Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:03 am

Rockhopper wrote:
okuma wrote:using this cast for a while now,the only difference i wont let the lead lay down on sand,i do swing it and on inswing i let lead go higher than a rod itself and on outswing i lift rod up and back a litlle to get more tension and just chuck it....to be honest rod bends more than doing pendulum

You can hit the rod almost anytime the lead is heading back towards you and be reasonably safe, let the lead come higher than the rod and sooner or later your going to break the tip off a rod.

What that video doesnt tell you is that with that kind of overhead thump you need a powerful rod. You can even hit the rod while the lead is going away from you and still get power into the cast....but to do what you say (if I pick you up right) is heading for a broken rod.

Tom.
im hitting then its going back,only then its higher than the rod i lift rod up and back up a bit
okuma

Postby Rockhopper » Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:52 am

I think I know what you mean, that type of cast is what the American call the Hatteras cast. I have always used a type of moving Brighton cast and found it easy and safe (to others) but for max power you need to get the tip of the rod low, as the lead comes back (with a 4ft or 5ft drop) inside between the tip and your hand its easy to get the tip down and then hit it, you will find you pick the lead up instantly.....if you get the right height in the sky you will always get a good cast off.....far easier to master than the pendulum.

Tom.
Rockhopper

Postby okuma » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:03 pm

thanks for info
okuma

Return to Casting