orig.525 stuck bearings

A forum to discuss casting techniques and events. For the angler wishing to increase his distance and the tournament caster.

Moderators: paddyc, kstaff

orig.525 stuck bearings

Postby hughcronin » Tue May 27, 2008 10:40 pm

I've an original 525mag and getting bearing out for tuning is tuff as they seem to get stuck. have tried swapin bearnings from other 525's and same happens. no probs other den dat. she's casting grand except last weekend when tuning her I noticed I'd damaged a shiny new ceramic bearing the prvious time pushin it out or in my frustration. why are they getting stuck?
is the spool on this real not uniform with all other 525's,including original ones? it didn't previously affect performance until I saw the bearing half bust and rusting!
whats the story like?
Thanks again,
hugh
hughcronin
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby Liamo » Wed May 28, 2008 8:51 am

Alright skin,

I have a 525 like that as well, and have seen a lot of them that way, it just seems to be the reel was machined that way - these bearings are meant to be a very tight fit anyways.

I find a philips screwdriver pushed in from the other end of the spool is great fior tapping out a stubborn one but you have to get the bearing out of one side of the reel first :-)

The next time you're down with me Hugh I'll show you a little tool here made out of some swg18 gripwire that should help cure all your woes

Liam
Liamo

Postby hughcronin » Wed May 28, 2008 9:48 am

ta Liam,
any sl..., I mean smuts above on east coast
hughcronin
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby MAC » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:40 pm

Hey Guys,

A nice tip for this is to use a chopstick. Chopsticks are tapered and you simplis push into the center of the bearing until it grips then pull the bearing our. Also very handy if you need to prod a bearing out from the opposite side as the wood is less likely to Damage the bearing shield.

Kev
><º> ><º>

><º>
MAC
SAC Treasurer

Have thanks: 178 times

Return to Casting