Me havin a few thumps

A forum to discuss casting techniques and events. For the angler wishing to increase his distance and the tournament caster.

Moderators: paddyc, kstaff

Me havin a few thumps

Postby gearoid mc s. » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:39 pm

Few pics of me casting OTG with a g1 and my new elite. cast a few round 170yrds ran out of field after that!!!!
Attachments
Cast End.jpg
camera man was a little late with this one!!!!
Cast End.jpg (64.57 KiB) Viewed 968 times
Cast Middle.jpg
Like this one!!!
Cast Middle.jpg (39 KiB) Viewed 966 times
Cast Start.jpg
I know my feet arent the best positioned in this one!!!
Cast Start.jpg (47.47 KiB) Viewed 970 times
gearoid mc s.
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 73 times

Postby kstaff » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:20 pm

How ya,

nice pics, 170 yds is a great belt! Your head in the pics is looking at the rod tip, forget about it, as you're coming round get your head up into the clouds and keep it there, everything will feel smoother and effortless! You'll put yards on yourself!

Keep the pics comin.
Blue n White is the new Black!!!
kstaff
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 308 times

Postby gearoid mc s. » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:52 pm

kstaff wrote:How ya,

nice pics, 170 yds is a great belt! Your head in the pics is looking at the rod tip, forget about it, as you're coming round get your head up into the clouds and keep it there, everything will feel smoother and effortless! You'll put yards on yourself!

Keep the pics comin.

what exactly do you mean by head up in the clouds? looking skywards is it??
Thanks
gearoid mc s.
SAI Megalodon!

Postby JOHN LYNCH » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:35 pm

Ronseal ! it does exactely what it says on the tin!

In da middle pic there you have the rod brought half ways round but your head is only starting to come around, at this stage we should be able to see da side of ur face not da back of it. As soon as you initate the cast you should have your head up looking at where your lead will be headed.
JOHN LYNCH
Inactive

Have thanks: 2 times

Postby paddyc » Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:03 pm

Exactly, once you have everything laid out and ready to cast the 1st thing to do is turn your head and look up, high in the sky!! as the lead will only go where you head points, to and try keep your arms out away from your body more also your your left hand is very low comming around, 170yds is good not far to the 200.
Cast-Monkey :-)
-----------------------------
SPORTSCAST IRELAND
paddyc
Casting Tart

Have thanks: 179 times

Postby JOHN LYNCH » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:02 pm

I don't know about the 200 yards :) , you have lost a bit of power since you have been doing the accounts in that nicker factory :lol: . http://www.maidenform.com :wink: :wink: I think is the name of the place.

You had alot more power when lifting those 30KG bags of flour all day during the summer. We will get down to beal a few times during the summer to break that 200yard mark.
JOHN LYNCH
Inactive

Postby gearoid mc s. » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:28 am

JOHN LYNCH wrote:I don't know about the 200 yards :) , you have lost a bit of power since you have been doing the accounts in that nicker factory :lol: . http://www.maidenform.com :wink: :wink: I think is the name of the place.

You had alot more power when lifting those 30KG bags of flour all day during the summer. We will get down to beal a few times during the summer to break that 200yard mark.

working in an offfice which is often frequented by lingerie models...im livin the dream boy!!

maybe you can keep an oul housewife happy whan you go round to check her energy rating :wink:

Paddc in which picture is my arm too low?
maybe you could upload a pic of someone doing it correctly if you got a chance??
Thanks
gearoid mc s.
SAI Megalodon!

Postby JOHN LYNCH » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:00 am

I don't know wheter u can access youtube at work but this is a good vid for the OTG cast with Roger Mortimore.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KY1WVsBZU0E

Here is a dodgy clip of me trying the OTG of Kilteery pier in a gale last month. I do seem to get my head up nice and early atleast :o .

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Lg7OTGtSGlM
JOHN LYNCH
Inactive

Postby AG » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:22 am

JOHN LYNCH wrote:Ronseal ! it does exactely what it says on the tin!

In da middle pic there you have the rod brought half ways round but your head is only starting to come around, at this stage we should be able to see da side of ur face not da back of it. As soon as you initate the cast you should have your head up looking at where your lead will be headed.
john just looking at your two videos and you dont look up either and also you only use your upper body your feet get screwed up at the end of the cast !a Few yards could be gained for you here !
AG
Need your account moneys for new Zziplex

Have thanks: 45 times

Postby gearoid mc s. » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:30 am

AG wrote:
JOHN LYNCH wrote:Ronseal ! it does exactely what it says on the tin!

john just looking at your two videos and you dont look up either and also you only use your upper body your feet get screwed up at the end of the cast !a Few yards could be gained for you here !

thanks ag im gonna get mileage out of this!!!
gearoid mc s.
SAI Megalodon!

Postby JOHN LYNCH » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:45 am

:oops: I knew I should not of put that vid up but I suppose its the only way of getting a few pointers. Thanks AG . Its very hard to see what you are doing wrong yourself. Could of sworn my head was coming around fast enough.

AG will you be needing my bank and credit card details as payment ! :lol:

[quote="gearoid mc s thanks ag im gonna get mileage out of this!!![/quote] :x :x :x :x :evil:

Instead of getting Mileage out of it why don't you concentrate on getting yardage out of your own cast :lol: :lol: :lol:
JOHN LYNCH
Inactive

Postby gearoid mc s. » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:08 pm

JOHN LYNCH wrote::oops: I knew I should not of put that vid up but I suppose its the only way of getting a few pointers. Thanks AG . Its very hard to see what you are doing wrong yourself. Could of sworn my head was coming around fast enough.

AG will you be needing my bank and credit card details as payment ! :lol:

[quote="gearoid mc s thanks ag im gonna get mileage out of this!!!
:x :x :x :x :evil:

Instead of getting Mileage out of it why don't you concentrate on getting yardage out of your own cast :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote]

"personal best cast 189yrds. (5oz) OTG" I'm happy enuf with that!!
gearoid mc s.
SAI Megalodon!

Postby paddyc » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:11 pm

Im not great at geting pic's posted but if you look at some of the pic,s of a comp we attended last year (link below) look at the hand and arm positions on the final hit, esp on Danny's pic as he is the world champ (no:twenty eight)
Hope this helps.
http://www.myfishcasting.com/pictures/w ... ional-2007
Cast-Monkey :-)
-----------------------------
SPORTSCAST IRELAND
paddyc
Casting Tart

Have thanks: 179 times

Postby gearoid mc s. » Mon May 19, 2008 11:37 am

ok quick update on the casting situation....went down the field again yesterday and had a few casts while trying to get my head round quicker like ye said to....all i can say is wow..what a difference such a small thing makes..easliy addded 15 yards onto the cast and i wasnt even putting 100% into it (Field is 170-175 yards long...so after going through the ditch once and spending 5 mins getting my lead back i decided to take it handy)

Only thing that is holding me back from the 200yrds mark now is the reel tuning...
Its a green mag elite with red rocket fuel and 1 tiny brake block.....thing is while i was casting i had the mags on 0 and the lead still seemed to be "pulling" line of the reel...Yellow rocket fuel is on the way from veals as we speak aswel as ceramic bearings for my other 6500(Bearings in the new abu's are crap..2 sessions an they have begun to rust already.... :x )
The 6500 i was casting with is 7ish years old with original bearings and it still easily casts further than the new one.....
gearoid mc s.
SAI Megalodon!

Postby JOHN LYNCH » Mon May 19, 2008 11:52 am

That good casting Gearoid. You will have to buy a longer field :) . Thats still an OTG cast ??

My casting is gone to the dogs after spending the last few months lobbing baits out for flounder.
JOHN LYNCH
Inactive

Postby kstaff » Mon May 19, 2008 1:27 pm

Good Stuff Gearoid, it's incredible how many little small things help you cast, it's when you know them all you'll forget them and then the fun starts all over!
kstaff
SAI Megalodon!

Postby kstaff » Mon May 19, 2008 1:34 pm

Good stuff Gearoid, keep the head up and the extra power will come too, I might suggest a wee bit of playing with the end tension of the reel, just a quarter turn to start with will give a little more play.

I'd say 100% of all the best casting reels used by casters are old Abu's, they don't make em like they used to!
kstaff
SAI Megalodon!

Postby gearoid mc s. » Mon May 19, 2008 1:51 pm

John: ya that is still an OTG...my pendulum attempt also ended up in the ditch........the one on my right hand side :lol: :oops: :lol:

Kstaff: they sure dont im slowly rebuilding the new one i got...fitted old brake block system..new bearings..not mad about the v-spool either...

already have about 1mm of play on the spool tansion is that not enough??
gearoid mc s.
SAI Megalodon!

Postby kstaff » Mon May 19, 2008 1:56 pm

Ahh sorry thought you had it locked up tight, no that should be ok, the new fuel and bearings will help, but a good balanced spool is essential, then just try hurt the rod everytime! :D You'll start getting through the line sharpish though, hang onto that bulk spool of Sakuma, we must of got through miles of line yesterday at the meet.
kstaff
SAI Megalodon!

Postby gearoid mc s. » Mon May 19, 2008 2:40 pm

ya i think it is balanced fairly well but have a few questions anyway

1)what knot do you use and do you keep it to one side?
2)any line in particular recommended for this?
3)how long do i need to wind it on cotton like fashion?

Ill have to make a donation to SCI for all this info......

if Mod is lurking they mite clean up that triple post mess there...Thanks!!
gearoid mc s.
SAI Megalodon!

Next

Return to Casting