Looking for casting pointers...

A forum to discuss casting techniques and events. For the angler wishing to increase his distance and the tournament caster.

Moderators: paddyc, kstaff

Looking for casting pointers...

Postby Liamo » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:41 am

Lads,

I don't know of any casting instructor down my way any more and I was hoping if I put a short vid up here one or two of you might take a look and hopefully give me a few pointers to improving my technique? Can't think of any other way of doing it. Would that be ok and can someone help me out?

Liam
Liamo

Postby MAC » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:50 am

I'm sure the lads will help you out. Try get a good quality video from behine as we can then see the swing plane and the arm position through the hit. If you can get on ein daylight all the better as you normally get better quality.

Kev
><º> ><º>

><º>
MAC
SAC Treasurer

Have thanks: 178 times

Postby paddyc » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:59 am

No problem Liam, id be glad to help, as long as your not giving that AWB too much abuse :lol: :lol:
Cast-Monkey :-)
-----------------------------
SPORTSCAST IRELAND
paddyc
Casting Tart

Have thanks: 179 times

Postby Liamo » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:38 pm

Paddy,

How are things lad, well funny you should mention it as I have a bit of video already and it's the AWB I'm using! Can I put a link to it here, it's ~2MB .avi file, if this camera angle isn't any good I'll try and get out again and shoot it from behind. Can you take a look for me?

Cheers
Liam

Details:

I just went out stuck the video camera on and went for 9 casts one straight after the other. I didn't feel there was any point only picking out the best casts to show as including everything would give a better feel for my level in general - so here it is.

Rod was an AWB 129, reel was a red 6500 high-speed tuned with yellow rocket fuel and mags set for "normal" fishing, .35mm line casting a 5oz lead.

I had a bluddy f3 wind blowing right to left across me which was annoying but like I said the mags were wound down, no blow-ups or lifting and I was averaging a consistent-ish (no. 5's too high) 170yds on these casts but that's the wall and I cannot get past it

pointers, what not to do's, advise greatly welcome, be gentle!
Liam

High reel, High Swing Pendulum (attempts) Link:

http://www.traleebayseaangling.com/test ... asting.avi

Liam
Liamo

Postby MAC » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:26 pm

Hi Liam,

Best way to link is to get yourself a youtube.com account. Upload your video there and then copy and paster the link into here.

Kev
><º> ><º>

><º>
MAC
SAC Treasurer

Have thanks: 178 times

Postby Liamo » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:25 pm

Hi,

Right here's the youtube link

[url]http://youtube.com/watch?v=RDdO30xzLr0[/url]

Liam
Liamo

Postby JOHN LYNCH » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:46 pm

170 yards with .35 line and a cross wind sounds fairly reasonable to me.

Not qualified to comment on the technique :oops: . I was getting a few lessons off Chris Nelms down on barrow (blue pool)on Sunday myself.

Is that one of the brandon bay beaches on the vid.

I like the way the victoria secrets casting shoot comes up on youtube when your clip is finished.
JOHN LYNCH
Inactive

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby m.b3 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:22 am

maybe slow down the swing a little, slight pause at the end of the inswing. put more turn into the cast and bring the rod around somewhat parallel to the beach until it is almost in front of your chest and then punch pull. slight changes could give you the extra kick to put it over 200.
m.b3
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 143 times
Blog: View Blog (8)

Postby paddyc » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:56 am

Looks quite good liam nice and smooth, only a few small things need tweeking, once the lead has come back past you on the inswing try not let the rod drift back with the lead at all, you can do this by trying to keep you right arm quite rigid and out away from your body, your left hand needs to go a little higher as you bring the rod around and keep it up there until its in front of you and your facing the target then add your punch pull. Also once the lead has come past you on the inswing ready for the hit try looking up a bit quicker as the lead will only go where your head is looking. Keep this nice and slow and just gratually build up the power. Consistant 170's is good it will take you no time at all to be over the 200 mark.
Watch andrew's hand/arm and head positions in the clip, it should explain it visually. Hope this helps

http://youtube.com/watch?v=cjI19ejW344
Cast-Monkey :-)
-----------------------------
SPORTSCAST IRELAND
paddyc
Casting Tart

Have thanks: 179 times

Return to Casting