Off-the-ground with a light rod

A forum to discuss casting techniques and events. For the angler wishing to increase his distance and the tournament caster.

Moderators: paddyc, kstaff

Off-the-ground with a light rod

Postby jalfrezi » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:21 pm

hi folks,
wondered what you think about off-the-ground casting with a rod and reel more suited to lighter beach fishing? i'm looking to improve my distance and cover a wider range but for the moment my equipment is not ideally suited to surf casting style.

i have a beastmaster 11ft heavy bass spinning rod (!?) with a tica 4000 reel, my rig is set up at the moment with 14lb mainline and 22lb leader casting weights between 2 and 3oz. until i get myself more suited tackle i'm hoping to learn a bit about casting in this way. is it even advisable to attempt otg with this set up, is there a chance of damaging my rod? or should i stick to an overhead thump - i'm defo not going to try a pendulum
jalfrezi

Postby kstaff » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:01 pm

Hi There,

the first thing I would do if you are going to cast with leads instaed of lures is put on a 50Lb Shockleader. Vital!

Once that's done start casting! No problems at all!
Blue n White is the new Black!!!
kstaff
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 308 times

Postby jalfrezi » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:30 pm

kstaff wrote:Hi There,

the first thing I would do if you are going to cast with leads instaed of lures is put on a 50Lb Shockleader. Vital!

Once that's done start casting! No problems at all!

right, yeh, thought my leader might be a little light for this. i guess the same applies with really big lures (100g or so) too no? stronger leader. you've given me some reassurance, cheers mate.
jalfrezi

Postby paddyc » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:23 am

Weather it be a lure or lead for every 1oz being cast you need 10lbs of shockleader (3oz-30lb) as kstaff said this is vital to be safe while casting anywhere, your rod will let you know how much it can handle
Cast-Monkey :-)
-----------------------------
SPORTSCAST IRELAND
paddyc
Casting Tart

Have thanks: 179 times

Return to Casting