Switch to full style
A forum to discuss casting techniques and events. For the angler wishing to increase his distance and the tournament caster.
Topic locked

google earth distamces

Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:00 pm

I`ve used google earth to measure the distance across a lake I use to cast by printing it off and using the scale. Is there any easier way to use this tool to double check this measurement.

Yesterday I manage to hit the edge of the lake at 170Ms from the method above using 0.4mm on a 525mag and my AA beach low with a 6oz lead on my second last cast with a pendulumn. This was a big jump for me so I`d love to confirm the distance. My last cast was snatched trying to repeat and the reel blew up :lol:

Donagh

Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:49 pm

just did some calculations as well ive hit 134 meters doesn't seem right :roll: :roll:

Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:44 pm

Donagh,there is a blue ruler icon on the top tool bar,you can use this to measure the distance between any two points on the map.

Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:35 am

Not too sure about using google earth, but if your looking for some measurments over water get your self a line counter from lidel (only E5) clamp it to your rod and after casting run the line around its wheel and reel in, its accurate to about 5metres.

Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:00 pm

Eric is that not right good or not right bad :lol:

Last cast I'll have a look at that and get back.

Paddy. It sounds the job. I saw them mentioned before on the site but didn't realise they were on sale all the time. I thought they were a special. In what section of lidl are they in?

Donagh

Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:00 pm

Donagh wrote:Eric is that not right good or not right bad :lol:

Last cast I'll have a look at that and get back.

Paddy. It sounds the job. I saw them mentioned before on the site but didn't realise they were on sale all the time. I thought they were a special. In what section of lidl are they in?

Donagh

not right good :roll: :lol:

Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:21 pm

Just to clarify I was using the google map. Downloaded google earth and used the measure to find the distance was 170 meters.

Rgrds
Donagh

Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:51 pm

nice casting donagh. im only managing 1 less than you......... about 70m :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:41 pm

I can cast 50 Yds with booms :lol: :o

Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:28 pm

I was reloading the reel that blew up last night and relised I had no 0.4mm line so it may have been .35 I was getting the distance with. I was scratching my head as to why the line level wasn't lower after casting. I'd be happywith 170meters myself if I was getting it all the time and not on one cast. My casting can be hit and miss especially when fishing when wind , darkness ground clearance and everything else come into play.

Donaghg
Topic locked