Reel position

A forum to discuss casting techniques and events. For the angler wishing to increase his distance and the tournament caster.

Moderators: paddyc, kstaff

Reel position

Postby happyguy73 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:47 pm

Hi All,

I am new to using multipliers and have just bought a new Abu Suveran RX paired with a Slosh 20.

I just want to be able to cast reasonably and reasonable distances with time.

Should I position the reel high or low on this rod?

any advice would be a great help.

thanks

Adam
happyguy73
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 3 times

Postby donal domeney » Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:19 am

Beacuse of the large gear set up un the slosh 20 it's best used down the butt with your left thumb controling the spool
donal domeney
Head of International Security and Bringer of World Peace

Have thanks: 1248 times

Postby happyguy73 » Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:25 am

Thanks donal domeney!

really appreciate the advice. I want to start out using the multis on the best terms I can :lol: and anything that makes it easier will be a bonus!

plus since I am new to them it might be best to start with something comfy with regards reel control.

How much rod b butt below the reel would be good to have enough for playing fish? if I get one large enough that is :lol:
happyguy73
SAI Bait Ball

Postby donal domeney » Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:45 am

Not too sure on the set of the rod your using has it a reducer. A reducer is the bottom part of the rod about 14"/16" long that can be removed when casting. If the rod has a reducer then fit the reel about 6" above the reducer if it has no reducer fit it about 10" from the end of the rod. Remember if is the first time using a multi forget about getting distance just learn a style of casting that you feel comfortable with the distance comes later. Set the spool to run slow, use the cap under the star drag for this. To set it right for a learner attach a 4/5oz lead to the line, reel it in until the weight is at the top eye release the spool and you should visualy be able to follow the weight to the ground. the your style improves you can slacken ttis cap. It takes time and a lot of line befor you perfect it. When you do get it right it's the bizz. J
donal domeney

Postby donal domeney » Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:48 am

Not too sure on the set of the rod your using has it a reducer. A reducer is the bottom part of the rod about 14"/16" long that can be removed when casting. If the rod has a reducer then fit the reel about 6" above the reducer if it has no reducer fit it about 10" from the end of the rod. Remember if is the first time using a multi forget about getting distance just learn a style of casting that you feel comfortable with the distance comes later. Set the spool to run slow, use the cap under the star drag for this. To set it right for a learner attach a 4/5oz lead to the line, reel it in until the weight is at the top eye release the spool and you should visualy be able to follow the weight to the ground. when your style improves you can slacken this cap. It takes time and a lot of line before you perfect it. When you do get it right it's the bizz. Just one more note stick to day time use until you get to grips with thumbing on the line
donal domeney

Postby happyguy73 » Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:02 am

many thanks donal domeney

The rod has a reducer but I dont plan on using it just yet ( the rod seems pretty long as it is), might just be one more thing to be thinking about when learning to cast.

I plan on using the red blocks in the slosh and using it on the slowest setting and only lobbing it to start with till I get the hang of controlling it with my thumb.

Will try the tips you recommend and see how I get on as I know it will be such a different casting experience from the fixed spools I use.

Plan on packing my fixed spool in the bag too in case I do some night fishing as I think for a start I will need to visually monitor my casting and thumb control.

thanks so much for the advice

tight lines!

Adam
happyguy73
SAI Bait Ball

Postby donal domeney » Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:07 am

happyguy73 wrote:The rod has a reducer but I dont plan on using it just yet ( the rod seems pretty long as it is), might just be one more thing to be thinking about when learning to cast.

Adam

The big advantage of casting down the butt is it increases the lenght of the rod thus slowing down the speed of the cast and giving you more control over what your doing.
donal domeney

Postby happyguy73 » Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:27 am

Thanks donal domeney

At 13'6" I think the rod might be a handful for me to start with so will probably keep the reducer in the bag till I gain confidence.

Going to try the 10" from bottom to start with and see how that goes. I am going to just practive getting the lead to go in the right direction to start with, without losing control of line (I hope :lol: )

after a while when I get confidence I willl try to gain distance gradually.

Are reducers just for reducing rod diameter, or for gaining leverage when casting/fishing?

the name reducer is a bit miss leading to a newbie
happyguy73
SAI Bait Ball

Postby paddyc » Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:15 am

its there to reduce the dia of the rod to help grip the spool better when the reel is mounted on it, "IF" you get a good quality carbon one you can use it for "a bit" of leverage once its glued in place. Id start with the reel about 9-10inches up the rod and see how you get on.
Cast-Monkey :-)
-----------------------------
SPORTSCAST IRELAND
paddyc
Casting Tart

Have thanks: 179 times

Postby happyguy73 » Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:34 am

Cheers Paddyc

Thanks for the info, I will try the reel at 10 inches from butt to start as thats what most are recommending.

I dont think I will need the reducer, it will probably never see daylight :D
happyguy73
SAI Bait Ball

Postby chrisfeeney30 » Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:54 pm

in my opinion, i would use it down low!
chris
Galway Bay S.A.C member 2012
chrisfeeney30
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 5 times

Return to Casting