Open Casting Competition/Carlingford/11-12th Aug

A forum to discuss casting techniques and events. For the angler wishing to increase his distance and the tournament caster.

Moderators: paddyc, kstaff

Open Casting Competition/Carlingford/11-12th Aug

Postby paddyc » Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:58 pm

We have very kindly been sent an invite form our friends in the Ulster Casting Club to come along for an open casting comp that is taking place in Carlingford next weekend as part of the loughs agency lure and fly comp:

http://www.loughs-agency.org/angling/ne ... 111&sid=73

this is a two day festival and ALL are welcome to come cast on either or both days, what ever suits yourselves, we are waiting on the final details to arrive but as far as we know it they will be casting all the diff weight catergories.
As we are still awaiting word on our own venue this would be an ideal time to meet up with members of sportscast ireland as you can get to grips with the whole set up of tournament casting.
As i said ALL are welcome and we look forward to seeing you there.
Cast-Monkey :-)
-----------------------------
SPORTSCAST IRELAND
paddyc
Casting Tart

Have thanks: 179 times

Postby Lee337 » Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:42 pm

As Paddy has already said, the Loughs Agency are holding their saltwater festival next week at Greenore, Co. Louth on Saturday and Sunday and have asked us to run a casting competition for them. This event is open to EVERYONE and casting tuition will be given to ANYONE who would like to improve their capabilities.

Prizes include Zziplex rods and Abu Garcia reels, along with a perpetual cup for the longest cast and medals for 1st, 2nd and 3rd in category. All competitors get a certificate recording their acheivements.

Entry fee is 5 Euro.

The Competition and Tuition will be held in Greenore
[url]http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ie=UTF8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&q=&ll=54.03036,-6.137924&spn=0.196409,0.462799&z=11&om=1[/url]

We will be here, at the green fields on the right of the picture.
[url]http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ie=UTF8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&q=&ll=53.999597,-6.109257&spn=0.024569,0.05785&t=h&z=14&om=1[/url]

Hope to see you all there

Lee
Even a bad days fishing is better than working.

[url]http://www.ulstercastingclub.org[/url]
Lee337
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby MC » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:42 pm

hope to be there and get to meet all the great casters from this site, you never know i may even learn something
MC
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 379 times

Postby Marty Harrison » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:57 pm

Yip must say im really looking forward to this one myself. A bunch of us will be camping out for the weekend too and will be having a bbq etc on the sat night, all welcome. As ever im sure the craic will be mighty.

Hope to see alot of you guys from Sportscast Ireland up for what is in effect Irelands first open casting comp for a long long time. With everyones support this could be the start of bigger things to come and promises to be a great weekend for Irelands casting community, lets hope it continues to grow.

Final details on format etc to come asap.

Marty
SACN Membership #0702
Marty Harrison
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 15 times

Postby Jonny » Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:28 am

Should be a good couple of days craic.Looking forward to it :D :D
My Photos

Casting Related Photos

Better to understand a little than to misunderstand a lot.
Jonny
Wayward Legs

Have thanks: 4 times

Postby Marty Harrison » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:20 am

Ok folks heres a simple map to show you where field is in relation to Greenore. There will be signposts out on the roads to help you find it on the day.

[img]http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/9580/castingmapvb0.jpg[/img]

The Format looks to be the following:

2 competitions along side each other. One for the serious casters that want to cast several weights over two days (or one if that is all they can make) and an open class for novices/ members of the public that dont want to cast against the serious guys. The competitor decides which group he would prefere to enter.

Were aiming for 8 casts a day, 150g Sat and 125g on the Sunday. Your best cast on each weight goes to you final distance total. If you can only make one day of the event you can have 4 casts on each weight to get a total and be in with a chance. The competition will be run to USKF rules and standards.

The open/novice class will be allowed to cast the weight of their choice aiming to achieve the max distance possible. It is open to the competitor to decide how many attempts they will have on the day but all casting will take place along side the rest of the casters in rounds so a max of 8 casts will be possible. Gear used will include a minimum 12lb main line and appropriate shockleader, either fixed spool or multiplier.

Marty
SACN Membership #0702
Marty Harrison
SAI Hammerhead

Postby Norfolk and Goode » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:54 pm

Sounds like fun :wink:

Is it like some competitions whereby the organisers are not allowed to enter? Or is it open to all?

Just for the record and those who might be reading this post who are not used to this casting format:

A. Do you bring your own gear?

B. Are the weights supplied (certified?)

I'd love to have a rattle at it myself but I broke my thumb in 2 places last sat so I'm out of action for a while, and it's my reel thumb too! A real bummer I know.

Steve
***Tight lines to one and all***

SACN number 0728
Norfolk and Goode
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby Marty Harrison » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:23 am

Hi Steve, The organisers are allowed to enter the competition, any of them that do will cast in the tournament group not the novices. Without them the entry might be a bit low as they constitute a large percentage or Irelands tournament casters

Regarding gear yes bring your own to use, line and shock leader will be provided on the day if necc. Certified weights will also be provided for all competitors, in the novice cat. you will have the choice of 75, 100, 125 & 150g to cast.

Hope this helps, any other questions just ask.

Marty
SACN Membership #0702
Marty Harrison
SAI Hammerhead

Postby Norfolk and Goode » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:34 am

Thanks for the quick reply Marty.

I was just asking the questions for those people who might be thinking of coming down but are unsure of the format.

Are the prizes (Zzipy's and reels) more for the tourny casters competition or would someone who is there as a novice for the day and happens to take a crack be able to win a rod or reel of that caliber too?

Steve

SACN number 0728
Norfolk and Goode
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby Marty Harrison » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:22 am

Prize allocation is down to the Loughs Agency Steve and is summit im not sure about, tbh the zippys wouldnt be much use to anyone but a tournament caster anyway as they are not fishing models from what i can gather.

Marty
SACN Membership #0702
Marty Harrison
SAI Hammerhead

Postby scara » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:15 am

I see from the Lough Agency's website that there going to hold a similar event up at Lough Foyle in September. will it take the same format as this one.
Sinking Fast.
scara
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 2 times

Postby Lee337 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:49 am

scara wrote:I see from the Lough Agency's website that there going to hold a similar event up at Lough Foyle in September. will it take the same format as this one.

This is the first competition that the club has organised so we will be taking on board the comments/suggestions of everyone in attendance so we can hopefully improve it. The Foyle competition will be advertised as soon as we finalise the details, shortly after the Carlingford competition hopefully.

Lee
Even a bad days fishing is better than working.

[url]http://www.ulstercastingclub.org[/url]
Lee337
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby MC » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:55 pm

cant make the casting comp Lee, but if you need a hand with the foyle one i will help anyway i can

good luck to all taking part and i hope it goes well for the club
MC
SAI Megalodon!

Postby paddyc » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:41 am

The results are as follows:
http://www.ulstercastingclub.org/phpBB2 ... .php?t=424
The event was a great success thanks to the efforts of Marty and Co of the UCC and Terry and Mark of the Loughs agency.
Conditions on the saturday were good with the wind blowing straight down the court for most of the day but the rain put in an apperance too which was not ideal, the sunday seen the wind swing round creating a fairly stiff crosswind which kept the leads from reaching the distances achived on the sat
SPORTSCAST IRELAND
paddyc
Casting Tart

Postby paddyc » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:49 am

http://www.ulstercastingclub.o......php?t=424
The event was a great success thanks to the efforts of Marty and Co of the UCC and Terry and Mark of the Loughs agency.
Conditions on the saturday were good with the wind blowing straight down the court for most of the day but the rain put in an apperance too which was not ideal, the sunday seen the wind swing round creating a fairly stiff crosswind which kept the leads from reaching the distances achived on saturday the but some good cast were recorded along with some PB's too.
It being Irelands 1st open casting comp in some years i thought there would have been more in attendance especially in the novice catagory for anyone one who did
SPORTSCAST IRELAND
paddyc
Casting Tart

Postby paddyc » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:52 am

http://www.ulstercastingclub.o......php?t=424
Conditions on the saturday were good with the wind blowing straight down the court for most of the day but the rain put in an apperance too which was not ideal but did not dampin the spirits, the sunday seen the wind swing round creating a fairly stiff crosswind which kept the 125g's from reaching the distances achived on saturday the but some good casts were recorded along with some PB's too.
It being Irelands 1st open casting comp in some years i thought there would have been more interest/attendance especially in the novice catagory! there is another open being held in mid sept hopefully there will be a bigger turn out for that one.
SPORTSCAST IRELAND
paddyc
Casting Tart

Postby MC » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:23 pm

hopefully i'll make that one and get to meet you mate
MC
SAI Megalodon!

Postby Norfolk and Goode » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:47 pm

Hi Paddy, for some reason I cant seam to get the link to open?

Am I doing something wrong just clicking on it?

Steve

SACN number 0728
Norfolk and Goode
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby paddyc » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:37 pm

if you log on: http://www.ulstercastingclub.org and go into the casting sec on the public forum and check the "Loughs Agency Competition, Carlingford 12th & 13th Augus" thread the provisional results are in there..
SPORTSCAST IRELAND
paddyc
Casting Tart

Postby Marty Harrison » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:41 pm

SACN Membership #0702
Marty Harrison
SAI Hammerhead

Next