magging a 6500

A forum to discuss casting techniques and events. For the angler wishing to increase his distance and the tournament caster.

Moderators: paddyc, kstaff

magging a 6500

Postby lumpy » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:44 am

hi all, i was wondering if anyone has an internal picture of a magged 6500, my fathers a precision engineer and i was thinking of magging one of mine. i'm just looking for the manner in which the adjuster is attached etc.

cheers neil
shore species 2008(25):dogfish(3.1lbs), bull huss (12lb 2oz), bass, shore rockling, coalie, whiting, pollack, conger (22.4lbs),flounder, thick lipped mullet (4.8lbs),turbot,ling (11.2lbs),ballan wrasse(4.5lbs), cuckoo wrasse, pouting, poor cod, cod (9.5lbs), dab, 3 bearded rockling, long spined scorpion fish, corkwing wrasse, plaice, trigger fish, sea trout, garfish

regards neil
lumpy
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 17 times

Postby paddyc » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:14 am

Its very simple really, the easiest one is the single mag unit and this just involves drilling a whole in the left side plate in an appropriate spot for the adjuster screw to pass through its own threaded reciever allowing the magnet acces to the spool, here is chris maceys web page with full diagrams on both single knobbys and centre mag units, and for the money he charges it would be IMO the best way to get top quality conversions.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/christopher.macey/
Cast-Monkey :-)
-----------------------------
SPORTSCAST IRELAND
paddyc
Casting Tart

Have thanks: 179 times

Postby lumpy » Tue May 01, 2007 7:59 pm

thats relatively straight forward alright.as i said my father owns a precision engineering business so should be fairly straight forward to do. i'l keep you posted
shore species 2008(25):dogfish(3.1lbs), bull huss (12lb 2oz), bass, shore rockling, coalie, whiting, pollack, conger (22.4lbs),flounder, thick lipped mullet (4.8lbs),turbot,ling (11.2lbs),ballan wrasse(4.5lbs), cuckoo wrasse, pouting, poor cod, cod (9.5lbs), dab, 3 bearded rockling, long spined scorpion fish, corkwing wrasse, plaice, trigger fish, sea trout, garfish

regards neil
lumpy
SAI Megalodon!

Postby paddyc » Tue May 01, 2007 8:46 pm

Cool, best of luck with it. Here is another site from Mike Benfield.
he does some great work esp his super wide conversions on both the Ultra-mag series and Abu 6500,s. I had one of his wide mag3,s and it was sweet he even makes his own spools up and always has time for passing info on if you want to chat..
http://www.benfieldconversions.pwp.blue ... k/home.htm
Cast-Monkey :-)
-----------------------------
SPORTSCAST IRELAND
paddyc
Casting Tart

Have thanks: 179 times

Postby lumpy » Tue May 01, 2007 8:50 pm

thanks again paddy. have a good interest in precision machinework, have drawings done in CAD for a spool for a 525 but never had the chanco to machine it.

regards neil
lumpy
SAI Megalodon!

Return to Casting