SL30 reel problem

A forum to discuss casting techniques and events. For the angler wishing to increase his distance and the tournament caster.

Moderators: paddyc, kstaff

SL30 reel problem

Postby Donagh » Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:46 pm

I posted a while back that I had an problem with my SL30 in that it was screaming and wasn't casting any distance. The spool would not come out and there was no latheral spool movement no mater how light the tention was set. I got advise from lee on how to get the spool out but I only tried to get it out today.

I opened the handle side and with a light tap of a mallet on this end of the spindle the spool came out. The bearing part 69 was stuck to the spindle leaving its clip part 76 in the body. From playing around with the reel I can see the fact that this bearing is jammed on the spindle is the most likely the cause of all my problems.

I saw some discolouration of the around the bearing that was rust coloured but this has been wiped off with lighter fuel so I don't know if this is what caused it. The bearing looks fine but there is no movement on the spindle. Whats the best way to remove the bearing?

Donagh
Donagh
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 27 times

Postby Donagh » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:13 am

I got the bearing off using a claw hammer. This worked out well getting the bearing off with the least chance of damage. There was more corrosion on the bearing which I washed off.

My problem now is that while I can get most of the reel together I don't have a notion about the 3 pieces of the anti reverse mechanism as they fell out when hammering out the spindle.
The diagram shows the perspective from the left hand side so its unclear.

Anyone any photos of the anti-reverse mechanism assembled?

Donagh
Donagh
SAI Megalodon!

Postby Lee337 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:02 am

Hi Donagh,

I am heading out fishing now but if I get a chance when I get back or tomorrow I will strip my sl30 and send you a pic of how it goes together.

Lee
Even a bad days fishing is better than working.

[url]http://www.ulstercastingclub.org[/url]
Lee337
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby Donagh » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:28 am

Hi Lee,

Thanks if you can. All I'd need to see is the anti-reverse parts 20 to 23 I think. I can reassemble the rest.

Donagh
Donagh
SAI Megalodon!

Postby EricH » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:39 am

Donagh,
I took my Slosh 30 apart for a grease and an oil and the anti reverse fell out . . .I couldnt get it back together . .

I rang Daiwa told them the problem, sent them the reel with a letter (and parts) describing what needed to be done . . .few days later they sent it back, serviced and working . . .FOC!!

Brilliant service!!

This might be the best bet . . it was for me anyway!
EricH
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 14 times

Postby Donagh » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:12 pm

Rocker

I'll see if I can get this done myself as I find it interesting tinkering around with reels. Its a petty I was lazy with this one and allowed it to go into disrepair. Thanks for letting me know theres a get out clause and I might still tap them up for a new bearing.

Donagh
Donagh
SAI Megalodon!

Postby EricH » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:18 pm

No bother, I am decent enough at taking the reels apart, but this thing just stumped me . . . .
EricH
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 14 times

Postby Mad Mo » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:44 pm

Hi Donagh

Take a look at this link i got from another site, it might be of help.

http://s139.photobucket.com/albums/q310 ... %20SL20SH/

Good luck
Mo
Mad Mo

Postby Donagh » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:52 pm

Just what I'm looking for. I'll try getting it back together tonight.

Thanks
Donagh
Donagh
SAI Megalodon!

Postby Donagh » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:55 pm

Reel is back in working order. The level float can now be adjusted again so at least the major symptom is gone though the bearing is probably corroded. When I get a chance I see if casting distance is back to normal.

The real test will be for the cliff in Dunlickey in co. clare mackerel bashing where theres a 100 foot cliff and 30lb of line gets fully emptied on a cast.

Thanks
Donagh
Donagh
SAI Megalodon!

Postby paddyc » Tue May 01, 2007 9:40 am

if the reel is back working and the bearings are corroded it equally as abd a prob and your distancer will still be down, so just get a new set,
what size are they..?
Cast-Monkey :-)
-----------------------------
SPORTSCAST IRELAND
paddyc
Casting Tart

Have thanks: 179 times

Postby Donagh » Tue May 01, 2007 12:01 pm

The reel had before being taken apart no latheral movement due the problem bearing being fused to the spindle I think due to bearing corrosion and was rubing against the side. I'm fairly confident I've dramatically improved things by unsticking the bearing from the spindle. After the bearing was cleaned a few small dots can still be seen on the outside of the bearing. Its hard to if the beraing was damaged on the inside but an awful lot of muck came out of the bearing when it was soaked. I'll see how well the reel behaves next casting session.

I don't know what the size of the bearing is but on the slosh reels the spindle runs on two outboard bearings one small placed in the end cap and one very large placed beside the gearing. I'd guess it's around 2cms in diameter. The large bearing was the problem one and I don't know its size but there doesn't seem to be a big market for repalcing slosh bearings from what I can see on the net so I was going to go straight to Daiwa. I've never replaced any bearings before so I don't know if there's another way to go.

Donagh
Donagh
SAI Megalodon!

Postby paddyc » Tue May 01, 2007 2:48 pm

Those little marks on the bearings are "pitting" from the corrosion eating away at it and id be 99% there on the inside of it too making it in-effect usless, as the SS balls are not gliding around in there proper path they would be hitting the little build ups and cousing them to spin out of sinc and causing viberation, i would deff bin them both and install a new set for sure. Try looking on the VXB site im sure they have them, as they have most sizes, or Daiwa should help you out direct.
Last edited by paddyc on Tue May 01, 2007 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cast-Monkey :-)
-----------------------------
SPORTSCAST IRELAND
paddyc
Casting Tart

Have thanks: 179 times

Postby Donagh » Tue May 01, 2007 3:38 pm

Thanke Paddy,

I'll defintately get them replaced now.

Donagh
Donagh
SAI Megalodon!