help, sports mag

A forum to discuss casting techniques and events. For the angler wishing to increase his distance and the tournament caster.

Moderators: paddyc, kstaff

help, sports mag

Postby coaster » Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:38 pm

I'm not getting the distance I feel I should be with my sports mag.
I took it apart a while back and cleaned and oiled the bearings.
When I put it in free spool and spin it on the table, it only spins for about 7 to 10 seconds max.
Some times when adjusting the spool tension I get it to the point that there is almost no side play but after giving it a shake I can feel a little click and it has to be tightened quite a bit again.

Any ideas, Thanks in advance.
Paul
coaster
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby fishinmidget » Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:53 am

Well first off i would say if your reel can spin for more than 20 secs then it is unnecessary unless on the field. yo said you loosened the reel? take the end cap off completely and then spin it. if it is till going slow then you might have a bent spindle or something in the bearings that shouldn't be there i.e. sand. then check the mags are off(at setting 0) if, after all that, it still refuses to spin fast its a serious problem and one i would recommend getting someone who knows alot about reels to look at it for you.
SACN number: 0688

Le rosbif......
fishinmidget
Casting Tart

Have thanks: 36 times
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby gd » Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:50 pm

why dont you get the reel serviced most good tackle shops can arrange this for you or put you in contact with someone who can sort you out :D
gd
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 43 times

Return to Casting