new rod

A forum to discuss casting techniques and events. For the angler wishing to increase his distance and the tournament caster.

Moderators: paddyc, kstaff

new rod

Postby gravel » Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:46 pm

hi lads
went on the park today to try out my new rod and reel, the rod is a century komp sport, the reel is a penn 525 xtra, im not an expert caster, and im new to multi reels, but there was a definate difference with distance i did get in a few tangles trying to tune the reel, but i think i coped quite well, i found that if i kept everything simple, and didnt push things to hard the casts were better distance etc, the reel position was at the butt end of the rod which is also new to me, i got a few funny coments but who cares :lol:
gravel
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby paddyc » Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:38 pm

what rod n reel were you using before hand,,?
what distances were you putting down both before and after,,?
Cast-Monkey :-)
-----------------------------
SPORTSCAST IRELAND
paddyc
Casting Tart

Have thanks: 179 times

Postby gravel » Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:01 pm

the rod i was using before was a 14ft k2 with a ultegra 1200 fixed spool loaded with braid, the fixed spool seems more user friendly as im just getting used to the multi, i was probably getting around 100 yards on a good cast, like ive said im no expert, but the new combo feels as though im getting further, i should have taken both rods with me to compare.
im happy with the k2 and the fixed spool reel, but the century feels different, using the heaver lead etc, and i think i done well using a total different set up, i do need more practice though and i know things will get better, ive learnt, keep things simple, and smooth. i would say im getting about 125 yards, with the new set up, so things can only get better.
gravel
SAI Bait Ball

Postby paddyc » Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:11 pm

Yes indeed and you have the idea spot on, keep things simple, smooth gradually building up the power. Its a big jump on its own just changing from FS to Multi and on top the reel position, fair play to you, keep up the good work.
Cast-Monkey :-)
-----------------------------
SPORTSCAST IRELAND
paddyc
Casting Tart

Have thanks: 179 times

Postby gravel » Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:34 pm

cheers paddy, anyone got any news round malin head as im there in a few weeks.
gravel
SAI Bait Ball

Postby glengormley-gavin » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:25 pm

Hi gravel,

glad to hear that you are enjoying the casting mate. I must say - that is a very heavy set up you are using for your first go at a multi. I also have the Kompressor Sport and it is a beast of a rod - I use mine for conger and rough ground work, but rarely try to thump it out far.

I find it very hard to put a good bend into this rod - the more you can compress (hence the rod's name) the rod, the further you can chuck the lead.

If you can get your hands on a lighter rod, and use the same technique you are using now, you will see a big difference in your distance.

Good luck.

Jude
glengormley-gavin

Postby ROADRUNNER » Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:17 am

You should talk to Jonboy abt Malin Head as he lives quiet close to there,He is THE man for innishowen

Tight Lines
Danny
ROADRUNNER

Return to Casting