Most effective leader knot

A forum to discuss casting techniques and events. For the angler wishing to increase his distance and the tournament caster.

Moderators: paddyc, kstaff

Most effective leader knot?

Albright
7%
Grinner
19%
Bimini Twist
41%
Blood knot
15%
Other
19%

Total votes : 27

Most effective leader knot

Postby glengormley-gavin » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:13 pm

Right lads - I've used a few of these options and have my preference. I'll explain why later - lets have your opinions please.

When originally creating this thread, I was thinking along the lines of knots used for leaders specifically for casting. I may not have made that clear in the question but as I have posted it in the Casting section, I made an assumption that you would all think the same.

Jude
Last edited by glengormley-gavin on Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
glengormley-gavin

Postby m.b3 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:51 pm

bimini hitch...
m.b3
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 143 times
Blog: View Blog (8)

Postby Seancelt » Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:46 am

I use a tapered leader so I find the Blood Knot best, so far.
All fishermen are liars except you and me and to tell you the truth, I'm not so sure about you!
Seancelt
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby Mr_Green » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:56 am

m.b3 wrote:bimini hitch...

like mark said, the bimini hitch...since ive started usin this i noticed the strenght is unreal, and far surpasses any knot out thre..i had the leader knot snap b4 the loop did , which is savage strength :D ...wont be usin any other leader knot...
Mr_Green

Postby Lee337 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:55 pm

Bimini Hitch for fishing - every time. 8)

Lee
Even a bad days fishing is better than working.

[url]http://www.ulstercastingclub.org[/url]
Lee337
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby Mad Mo » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:08 pm

Probably gonna sound stupid here, but is the Bimini Hitch the same knot as the Bimini Twist? :oops:
If so i agree that the Bimini Twist is the best knot for fishing.
Mad Mo

Postby Lee337 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:09 pm

Mad Mo wrote:Probably gonna sound stupid here, but is the Bimini Hitch the same knot as the Bimini Twist? :oops:
If so i agree that the Bimini Twist is the best knot for fishing.

Same knot - different name. :D

Lee

Lee337
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby Mad Mo » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:10 pm

Cheers Lee :lol:
Mad Mo

Postby Rockhopper » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:26 pm

Pardon me, but is this thread not getting lost a bit....to me a leader knot is what attaches the leader to the main line.....both the Bimini Twist and the Spider Hitch are knots that hold a loop to form a double line. Neither to me are a leader Knot in the true sense.

BTW....I would never use a Bimini for shore fishing....you run the risk of putting your eye out.....the Bimini is only of real benefit to Big Game anglers offshore.

Tom.
Rockhopper

Postby scotchman » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:58 pm

OK...We'll pardon you. The Bimini is first and foremost a leader knot wether it be for boat or shore use. Please don't disregard this knot as U.S.
for the shore as it is unquestionably the best leader knot...bar none. However it's poor sister (easier to tie) the spider hitch is nearly as good but not quite as strong....Oh and knots don't take the eyes out of rods..Lads that can't tie proper knots and can't cast are a lot better at that trick.....Nough said.
It won't be long before it's a wee while.
scotchman
SAI Lug Worm

Postby Rockhopper » Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:26 pm

The Bimini stretches far to much for shore fishing mate!! if your sinker is snagged and breaks free when using a Bimini loop from the shore it will fire the lead back like a bullet.....that's one reason not to use it IMHO....the other is that the Bimini is not an advantage over the Spider Hitch on lines of less than about 30lb breaking strain.

One of the advantages of a double line for beach-casting is the way it cones the leader knot down, helping it to go through the guides easier. That said...to my knowledge a double line is not allowed in tournament casting anyways.

Tom.
Rockhopper

Postby Lee337 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:17 pm

Gents,

Think that the fact that the topic is in the casting section is causing a bit of confusion. I think the question was asking for opinions about the best main line to leader knot for fishing judging by the knots listed in the poll.

I started using the Bimini about a year ago and have not looked back since, incredibly strong if tied properly ( though it does take a bit of practice ).

Tom's point about it being unsafe is I believe in reference to a Carp angler that ended up with his lead embedded in his face after it sprung free from a snag. The problem here is that mono line in inherently stretchy and any well tied knot will allow the reel line to stretch, storing energy. The only way to reduce the risk is to look away from the line while pulling for a break.

Just my humble opinion.

Lee

Lee337
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby glengormley-gavin » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:49 pm

Yes - the bimini is very difficult to pull for a break - especially with heavy line and could cause damage if you manage to free your lead while pulling but I think that the knot's advantages outweigh this disadvantage.

I have edited my original post to elaborate further on the reason for the poll.

Jude
glengormley-gavin

Postby IDPearl » Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:10 am

As this is in the casting section, you are not looking for knot strength to be the highest priority - you are looking at smoothness of the knot to pass through the eyes.

A tapered leader is not allowed in tournaments - has to be equal diameter through entire length.

I use a blob knot on the leader - i.e. melt the end of the leader with a lighter - and then a 6 turn uni-knot to attach the main line. I actually use the same knot for fishing, but with 8 turns for some reason.

People keep digressing to fishing, even though this is a casting section. Probably because we are all passionate about our fishing too!
IDPearl
SAI Sea Dog!

Location: Was Dublin, then SW France, Warsaw, Hong Kong, Malaysia - Singapore!!
Have thanks: 1 time

Postby stevecrow74 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:57 am

dunno most leader knot names... but this is a drawing of the one i always use.. friendly on the eye's during casting... fairly strong for pulling rigs out of weed as well...
Attachments
leader_knot.jpg
usually between 7 and 12 turns of the reel line
leader_knot.jpg (22.85 KiB) Viewed 625 times
[url=http://galwaybuccaneerssac.com/]Galway Buccaneers SAC[/url]
[i][color=red]St Juniper once said; 'By his loins shall ye know him, and by the length of his rod shall he be measured.'[/i]
stevecrow74
Scomber Doorman

Have thanks: 58 times
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby petekd » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:44 am

Same one I use too Steve, I use a variation on this for attaching a mono leader to braid when spinning with the overhand knot made in the braid reel line instead. Works very well.
Fluff chucking is the new black..... Rampant Wreckfish is a fly angler in denial :D
petekd
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 114 times

Postby glengormley-gavin » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:28 pm

Haven't seen that one before Steve - will give it a go.

Jude
glengormley-gavin

Postby Lee337 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:30 am

For casting I use an overhand knot in the shockleader with a uniknot on the reel line. Makes a very small knot that has not given me any problems - so far anyway :lol:

Lee

Lee337
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby Spurs_boy » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:11 am

I agree with Steve. Easy to tie and strong. Dont recall the last time it let me down over the years.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/Lynford/TH/keane100.jpg
Spurs_boy
SAI Bait Ball

Postby glengormley-gavin » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:36 am

stevecrow74 wrote:dunno most leader knot names... but this is a drawing of the one i always use.. friendly on the eye's during casting... fairly strong for pulling rigs out of weed as well...

Steve - I tied this knot at the weekend on a FS set up - 18lb main line to 60lb leader.

I was suitably impressed and found the knot easy to tie - it held up well.

Thanks for the info.

Jude
glengormley-gavin

Next

Return to Casting