Casting Practise Results Day2

A forum to discuss casting techniques and events. For the angler wishing to increase his distance and the tournament caster.

Moderators: paddyc, kstaff

Casting Practise Results Day2

Postby Mr_Green » Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:27 pm

Went out again 2day for a bit of a follow up on yesterday...i started putting more power in2 it and also just concentrating on the OTG... found i was hitting it a bit to the left everytime, even tho my feet were facing ahead... following john holden instructions on his webpage gave me some clarity, and something to work on 2... i found my leader to be a bit short with a small 1 and a half foot drop on my 16ft rod...need to make allowance for the extra lenght... reel wise i was usin the mag xtra,super mag xtra and the sports mag...sports mag massive irreversable birdie 1st cast, supermag xtra birdie first cast but i worked it out...but the mag xtra isnt birdying at all, even with xtra power thrown at it..and i mean sheer bruteness (and i realise a simple flick would prob outcast me, as technique would win over strenght :D ) ..so i have something to work on, and in time i should be grand....

Dave
Mr_Green

Postby coaster » Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:51 pm

well Dave. if your cast is going left try slowing down your swing a bit. I would not get too hung up on distance. I saw you put a bait out the best part of 100 yards the other day and to be honest that's as good as most anglers and a lot more than you need most of the time.
Just my thoughts...
coaster
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby ckpainters » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:06 pm

with a 16ft rod I would just cast an overhead tump and it will go a long way.
ckpainters
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 3 times

Postby glengormley-gavin » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:16 pm

From experience - the reason you are going o the left is that your dropper length is too short.

Make your dropper at least half the length of your rod and try this.

Jude
glengormley-gavin

Postby hairyconger » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:19 pm

Last edited by hairyconger on Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
hairyconger
SAI Megalodon!

Re: Casting Practise Results Day2

Postby fishinmidget » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:19 pm

Mr_Green wrote: found my leader to be a bit short with a small 1 and a half foot drop on my 16ft rod

:shock: :shock: :shock: :?

im using a drop lenth of about 9 and a half feet on my 13'6" CM just to give you an idea about drop.
SACN number: 0688

Le rosbif......
fishinmidget
Casting Tart

Have thanks: 36 times
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Kraken » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:22 pm

glengormley-gavin wrote:From experience - the reason you are going o the left is that your dropper length is too short.

Make your dropper at least half the length of your rod and try this.

Jude

Hey Dave,
Watching your results with great interest as I too am out practising my ...ahem ...casting :oops: :oops:
As usual I am as impatient as ever and have skipped the OTG part of the learning mountain (couldnt describe it as a curve :lol: :? ) and have gone straight into a pendulum (type) cast :?

Would go with what Jude is saying - was using a short drop cos I was afraid of tangling myself up in knots but actually find it easier to cast now that I have increased to drop to the point where the lead is almost level with the top of the reel (reel in high position).
Have had no (yep thats right zero,nada,nilch) birdies yet but have had a splendiferous couple of crack offs which are down to my leader knot giving way on me (I think)
As posted previously am havin trouble grippin the spool in high pos. so am gonna go to the low pos tomorrow evening and give it a whirl
Word of warning to anyone thinkin of heading clonea direction tomorrow evening -

watch out ....theres lead about :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

john.
2009 Species:- Whiting, Dogfish, Bass, 3 Bearded Rockling

PB Casting Distances:- when I hit 200 I'll post it here

IFSA No.
SACN No. 0714

Steal a little and they throw you in jail.....Steal a lot and they make you King!!!!!!!!
Kraken
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 2 times

Postby hairyconger » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:39 pm

Last edited by hairyconger on Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
hairyconger
SAI Megalodon!

Postby stevecrow74 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:20 pm

looking at that you seem to be losing balance through the cast....
[url=http://galwaybuccaneerssac.com/]Galway Buccaneers SAC[/url]
[i][color=red]St Juniper once said; 'By his loins shall ye know him, and by the length of his rod shall he be measured.'[/i]
stevecrow74
Scomber Doorman

Have thanks: 58 times
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby hairyconger » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:21 pm

Last edited by hairyconger on Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
hairyconger
SAI Megalodon!

Postby Marty Harrison » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:59 pm

Hands are to far apart for a start
SACN Membership #0702
Marty Harrison
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 15 times

Postby burgers » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:02 pm

sorry to go off topic, but how do you measure how far youve casted? Do you just count the turns of the handle, and multiply it by the diameter of the spool,etc or is there a different way?
thanks.
burgers
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 2 times

Postby glengormley-gavin » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:08 pm

burgers wrote:sorry to go off topic, but how do you measure how far youve casted? Do you just count the turns of the handle, and multiply it by the diameter of the spool,etc or is there a different way?
thanks.

big strides towards your lead, wind in while striding and count your steps....
glengormley-gavin

Postby stevecrow74 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:55 pm

burgers wrote:sorry to go off topic, but how do you measure how far youve casted? Do you just count the turns of the handle, and multiply it by the diameter of the spool,etc or is there a different way?
thanks.

google earth works for me..

get on a beach with high res images and plenty of markers on the beach like weed clumps rocky out crops etc and stand at an distinctive mark and cast towards the weedy/rocky area or other markers that show up on google earth and use the measurement tool to measure the distance...

its a crude way of doing it but it works....
[url=http://galwaybuccaneerssac.com/]Galway Buccaneers SAC[/url]
[i][color=red]St Juniper once said; 'By his loins shall ye know him, and by the length of his rod shall he be measured.'[/i]
stevecrow74
Scomber Doorman

Have thanks: 58 times
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby hairyconger » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:05 am

Last edited by hairyconger on Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
hairyconger
SAI Megalodon!

Postby paddyc » Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:49 pm

Lidle did a line counter that clampes onto the rod but once the line is passed around the wheel you start winding in and it clocks up the distance achived in metres,,it will propably be back in with them again soon, well worth E5
Cast-Monkey :-)
-----------------------------
SPORTSCAST IRELAND
paddyc
Casting Tart

Have thanks: 179 times

Postby round_ourway » Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:34 pm

One yard is 3feet which is a normal walking stride.

so I roughly just walk it out on the beach and try and hit the 50 yard mark i have made then the 100 yard and then thats it lol
Boca Bearings .com - Orange Seal

Practice the Impossible
round_ourway
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 24 times

Return to Casting