Me having a cast.

A forum to discuss casting techniques and events. For the angler wishing to increase his distance and the tournament caster.

Moderators: paddyc, kstaff

Me having a cast.

Postby fishinmidget » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:22 pm

Now i aint a great caster(in fact im crap) but can you tell me what is wrong with this cast of what could be improved?

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_kH5o1dLbw[/url]

Thanks
SACN number: 0688

Le rosbif......
fishinmidget
Casting Tart

Have thanks: 36 times
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Mr_Green » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:25 pm

wow he really is a midget :P
Mr_Green

Postby stevecrow74 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:15 pm

balance... foot position... your too small.... rod position...
[url=http://galwaybuccaneerssac.com/]Galway Buccaneers SAC[/url]
[i][color=red]St Juniper once said; 'By his loins shall ye know him, and by the length of his rod shall he be measured.'[/i]
stevecrow74
Scomber Doorman

Have thanks: 58 times
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Mr_Green » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:27 pm

stevecrow74 wrote:balance... foot position... your too small.... rod position...
:lol: :lol:
Mr_Green

Postby JOHN1 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:16 pm

you will wear that team ireland jacket out :lol: :lol:

dont know if is me but at around 27 seconds of the clip i can hear a ratchet! turn it off you might be surprised. you should try to master the off the ground cast much more user friendly especially if you fish at night
from the position you were standing try placing the sinker at about 2 o clock and keep your drop to around the 5ft mark.dont forget to keep tension on the drop at all times keep reel about chest hight hold tip close to ground arms out away from chest just turn into it keep it slow to start give it a try.
JOHN1
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 598 times

Postby hairyconger » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:28 pm

JOHN1 wrote:you will wear that team ireland jacket out :lol: :lol:

dont know if is me but at around 27 seconds of the clip i can hear a ratchet! turn it off you might be surprised. you should try to master the off the ground cast much more user friendly especially if you fish at night
from the position you were standing try placing the sinker at about 2 o clock and keep your drop to around the 5ft mark.dont forget to keep tension on the drop at all times keep reel about chest hight hold tip close to ground arms out away from chest just turn into it keep it slow to start give it a try.

turbos make that wiring noise :roll: :!: :D
hairyconger
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby roger de dodger » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:36 pm

did you know u were flying low :D
bet that camera was set for a mini clip :D
try using a big rod them 6 foot ones dont cast far
roger de dodger
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 716 times
Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby fishinmidget » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:03 pm

Now why does this happen every f**king time, im looking for advice not abuse....and 7ht turbos dont have a ratchet.

Le rosbif......
fishinmidget
Casting Tart

Postby hairyconger » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:05 pm

fishinmidget wrote:Now why does this happen every f**king time, im looking for advice not abuse....and 7ht turbos dont have a ratchet.

there supposed to make that noise :D i think its class mines sounds like a souped up car which i obviously cant drive properly :lol: :lol:
hairyconger
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby rab01 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:03 am

u'd have made a fortune in lord of the rings!!
rab01
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby JOHN1 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:26 am

looked at that clip again.didn't notice first time it was a turbo! but did notice you wiping bait juice all over the front of that team Ireland jacket instead of using a towel. :lol: :lol: :lol:
JOHN1
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 598 times

Postby IDPearl » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:29 am

You're a big man in my book for putting up with the amount of abuse you get from these guys!

Nice set-up for casting you've got there.

OK, first up, well done for putting a video on here. It lets you see where you need to improve and lets others give comment.

Looks to me like you're rushing things. You need to slow down. At the moment, the drop of your lead is too short, so lengthen the drop until the sinker is near the your top hand - you could widen your grip a little too.

When you turn back for the initial swing, try to get more rotation - ie try to turn round to your right even more. This allows your body to twist like a spring. Use this force to unwind into the cast.

When you bring the lead back towards you, as it passes your body, count 1,2 turn to look up at your imaginary target and pull the rod through with your left, trying to keep your arms away from your body. When you turn to look, your body starts to unwind adding power to the cast. Your push pull is actually not bad, so you should be able to get more distance.

As an aside, when I was at the swords show a few years ago, a couple of real small guys came to do some casting along with Andrew Gormley. These guys were probably around 4 feet tall, but they still cast further than anyone else on that day - easily 200 plus! It was all about technique!

People use to tease me at school after footy or hockey. Kept calling me Donkey Dong, King Dong, Long John Silver etc, but when I eventually started dating, none of that mattered any more! :lol:

Keep it up and post another video. Next time, raise the camera a little so you are in the lower half of the frame. This will let us see the cast a bit better.

Good luck.
:wink:
Ian
IDPearl
SAI Sea Dog!

Location: Was Dublin, then SW France, Warsaw, Hong Kong, Malaysia - Singapore!!

Postby dbrock » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:31 am

def as your trning to cast dont jump forward like you did with your leg as i personally find you lose momentum built up in the cast ,, im sure paddy or ag will be able to help you
dbrock
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 58 times

Postby paddyc » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:59 am

Firstly, fair play to you for putting the vid on here and seeking comments, i know its not easy. Secondly there is not much i can say that ID-pearl has not mentioned already, he is spot on in his breakdown of how it should be, don't get me wrong its not bad at all, just a few things for you to work on, lenghtinyour drop to just above your right hand grip, hand spacing should be the with of your shoulders with arms out stretched in front of you and add 1/2 inches on your right arm, slow the whole cast right down, add more rotation, and get your head around as soon as the lead passes you on the back swing. Keep your arms out away from your body especially your left, out and up..Plant you feet shoulders widthapart turn,plant,and Wang!!!
ID,that little guy at the swords show was jimmy an excellent example of great technique and smoothness.. Are you still in casting in poland?
Cast-Monkey :-)
-----------------------------
SPORTSCAST IRELAND
paddyc
Casting Tart

Have thanks: 179 times

Postby fishinmidget » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:17 am

Thanks for that....i see i have a bit(understatement) to work on. hopefully i will have the use of a proper camera and a good tripod over the weekend if the weather improves. I am using the 125grm just because i find it easier to move the rod than with the 150grm. Would the 150grm help me get the technique right or would it make no difference?

Le rosbif......
fishinmidget
Casting Tart

Postby IDPearl » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:25 am

If you're using the 125g at the moment, stick to it. If you get the timing right, the rod will feel quite heavy as you bring it round for the hit. A 150g will pull your shoulder out if you're not ready for it!

Paddy: - I'm in Hong Kong now, and my rods are in Malaysia - cast there in Feb, but converted my reels with Chris Macey's conversions before the day & kept messing up on the mags, so distance was way down to 168.5 meters on the 125g! :oops:

Too much hastle to bring the rods here, so I use a 5.4m ISO rod with a 25g weight for fishing.

You don't have a video of Jimmy casting do you? Would love to see that again!

Ian
IDPearl
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby paddyc » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:53 am

No sorry i dont as ive not cast with jimmy in a few years now, but we have a new club on the way over here now and ive been in touch with jimmy and he is on for joining again along with some others from the old crew too, so we should have some vids to post soon once we start,,, chris macey is the man alright he has done alot of work for me over the last year, although mike benfield is producing some very good complete side plates with intergrated mag systems for 65,s and UM,s, the one for the ultra-mags which incorperates getting end float on the left side too, swwet peice of kit,very smooth,,, will try put some pics up soon,, how is the fishing over there,, plenty of weird and wonderfull fish to be had,,,?
Cast-Monkey :-)
-----------------------------
SPORTSCAST IRELAND
paddyc
Casting Tart

Have thanks: 179 times

Postby IDPearl » Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:19 pm

Mostly small stuff around here as it's overfished. There are some bigger fish if you know where to go - I don't!

Just got back from a trip out to the rigs...

http://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/bull ... hp?t=10219
Malaysia/Singapore Species list: Grouper, Catfish (Salt water), Puffa fish, Barracuda, Sea Pike, Gar Fish, Giant Trevally, Leopard Murray Eel, Grass Carp, Sardine, Rainbow Runner, Chinese Mackerel, Flying Fish, Stingray, unidentified reef fish, Dorado (Dolphin Fish), Gelama, Ketuka, Flathead, Striped Tuna, Chicken Fish, Red Snapper, Fingermark Snapper, Emperor Snapper, White Snapper, Golden Snapper, Sweetlip, Blue Spotted Ray, Sailfish, Parrot Fish, Whiting and a whole bunch of others!
IDPearl
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby paulocallaghan » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:01 pm

alex,
a vertically challenged friend of mine always uses the saying "i will grow but u'll always be an a*****e" never fails to shut people up about his height :lol: :lol: :lol:
paulocallaghan

Postby round_ourway » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:36 pm

I'm 6ft 5'' and can safely say ur casting technique is better than mine.

I'm only starting to use the reel low so it still feels arkward.
Boca Bearings .com - Orange Seal

Practice the Impossible
round_ourway
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 24 times

Next

Return to Casting