Tuning mag elite

Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:16 pm

I recently got one. I'm using one break block, I haven't oiled the bearings as of yet and have the full compliment of magnets set at 4. I'm using 0.35mm suffix titanium line which is a couple of mils down from the lip after losing line but now have 0.33mm sakuma crystal bright in the hope of extra distance. I was just wondering what forum members do to their mag elite to get extra distance?

Donagh

Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:03 pm

donagh,
i haave mine set up exactly the same but use berkley trilene. i wouldnt call it set up for distance though as i can only hit about 90m at best, but il catch anything within that range i swear :wink: :wink: , really need lessons, any takers

Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:00 am

try two blocks and mags at 50% and use yellow rocket fuel, on a good day no mags but windy day full- 75% ok .using one block throws spool balance out and can lead to birdsnests fill the spool to the brim and as it will settledown after a few casts have mine years and they are a good reel for clean ground bar the problem with the reel not engaging after the lever wares out they are great fishing reels . for extra distance go for lightest line u dare 15 lb maybe, clipped down rigs and lose the blocks altogether just use mags but only when u are confident with the reel and most important KEEP IT SMOOTH a jerky or wippy cast = birds nest :oops:

Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:42 pm

if its just for fishing you want it for i would not bother tuning it up as the mag-elites are capable of the bones of 200yrds straight out of the box. Is it a CT or CS model, new or 2nd hand,? if its the CS just by getting rid of the level wind alone will add to your distance. By dropping to .33 will also give you more yards. I cast 150g on .31 and rarely use .35 unless im casting 175g. Id start off with full magnets and just work on your casting style to keep it all smooth, backing of on the mags each cast untill its boarder-line fluffing up, then bring it back one notch, having confidence in your reels will help your distance, you would be suprised.

paulocallaghan- the casting club is the place to get to.....see the "tournament casting" thread on this site for details.

Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:00 pm

Really only used 525mags up to now with mags set at around 5 and red RF. Mag elite new before chrismas and its a CT. With one break block and being using it at 4 with 0.35mm. When I go to 3 it starts fluffing up. The TG rocket fuel site says they have yellow on the bearings and the abu oil in the box is yellow as well. I've been trying backing off the mags mid-flight but it takes practise. It was bought for clean ground fishing mainly at distance but some of the venues it will be used at will require 175gramme weight.

Paddy should I not go below 0.35mm if I'm using a 175gramme weight and if so why?

Thanks
Donagh

Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:18 pm

for fishing you can use any dia line you want, the weights and line dia,s i quoted are the official requirments for casting comps so thats what i practice with, when im fishing i use .35 daiwa tournament or .33 Rhino protector. I always clean out the bearings on any new and 2nd hand reels i get and re-oil as you dont know if they have been contaminated by anything before you got it, once thats done id keep the mags on 4 with the one block in place and see how you get on, and not adjust the mags mid cast as there is no real need to when fishing.

Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:55 pm

dont claim to be good at tuning but i bought a mag elite second hand it had one or two mags removed i think a tiny brake block fitted and rocket fuel in the bearings and it is unbelievable for casting 12lb line and a clipped trace and i can almost empty the spool down to the backing. . ....

Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:29 pm

Thanks for the replies.

I'll clear out and oil the bearings but I only have red RF and liquid grease but no yellow. I read somewhere that the white tube of abu reel oil with the reel is equivalent yellow. Is this correct?

Donagh

Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:46 pm

Hi Donagh,

Far as I know the oil supplied by Abu is yellow RF. If you give the bearings a good clean out using lighter fluid and then leave them for a good while so that there are no traces of petrol left in them before adding a few drops of oil to each bearing.

Also, clean the brake blocks in lighter fluid and dampen a cotton bud before running it around the braking ring located inside the right hand end plate.

Lee

Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:20 am

Donagh,

Just for distance casting, I have 2 mag elites, both running VXB ceramic hybrid bearings, shields removed, flushed out with lighter fuel and left dry (Don't normal bearings dry though!). No brake blocks, line filled to brim, .28 for 125g and .31 for 150g, Night Chrystal line.

Both now have the Chris Macey mag conversion which I need more practice with! :oops:

[img]http://i2.tinypic.com/sol7xe.jpg[/img]

[img:1280:960]http://homepage.ntlworld.com/christopher.macey/Elite%20end.JPG[/img]

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/christopher.macey/[/img]

Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:52 pm

Lee I've oiled up my 525 bearings but I've been using normal petrol. I hope this doesn't damage them. From reading I know lighter fluid is the way to go. I've been off the fags about 6 years but from memory it evaporates alot easier. I didn't realise the blocks had to be cleaned. I've had to search the carpet for an hour or so more than once finding the yokes after the dropped out when I've disassembled the reel.

Ian nice conversion. Are these a field thing only or does anyone use them for fishing?

Donagh

Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:35 pm

Donagh,

Using petrol will not damage the bearings but lighter fluid is more refined and does not leave any residue if left long enough to dry.

The reason for using lighter fluid to clean the brake blocks and the braking ring is that over time they will become contaminated with excess oil thrown out of the bearings ( when this happens the blocks change colour from a beige colour so a chocolate brown ), again, just leave them to dry before refitting to the reel. The bearings only need a few drops of oil and one of the easiest mistakes to make is to over oil them.

Hope this helps

Lee

Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:46 pm

Donagh,

I just use these for casting, they are a bit of an overkill for fishing though.

Ian