European Open Beach Championships (Bridlington Open)

Looking for a club? Looking for members? Advertising a competition?
If you are not an established SAI poster your post may have to be approved.

Moderators: donal domeney, Rampent Wreckfish

European Open Beach Championships (Bridlington Open)

Postby highwatermark » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:35 pm

Is anyone....individual/group/club thinking of going to the above comp ? Bridlington to Spurn Head, 43 miles ! Posted about this few years back to zero response :( and despite best intentions since, never made it over.......yet. Described as lottery fishing at its best and it probably is but having said that bloody better chance of winning something than the lotto or euromillions :roll: :roll: and I reckon a right bit of of craic one way or another. 3 days fishing, flattie bash, catch and release and 2 days comp. Fri. 4 March to Sun 6 March. It's a 4 hour plus drive from Holyhead so realistically a Thursday to Monday job door to door minimum. It's a big open so more about the craic, atmosphere, opportunity to fish North Sea and maybe a big cod too.

Anybody thinking of it or inspired by above :roll: feel free to drop a PM.

Yorkshire East Riding Council website below:

http://www.eyevents.co.uk/events/open/
highwatermark
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 15 times

Re: European Open Beach Championships (Bridlington Open)

Postby jonny gilbert » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:53 am

This will be my 10th year at this comp. great craic every year and I just treat as a holiday and if I catch it's a bonus lol finished a respectful 27th out of 1600 last year with a few big whiting 40cm plus, a cod of 3lb and a 3lb bass. Fished most of the beaches worth fishing and learned a few good tips about it. Big tides fish north of withernsea and small tides fish south of withernsea is the golden rule on the holderness coast of you manage to get over. It's a big tide for this years comp so I'll be fishing north of withernsea on Aldbourgh beach

Jonny
2010 species list: coalies, flounder, whiting, pollock, cod, doggie, sea trout, pouting, poor cod, short spined sea scorpion, long spined sea scorpion, 3 breaded rockling, shore rockling, 5 breaded rockling, tompot blenny, mackie, placie, dab, bullhuss, conger, ballan wrasse, corkwing wrasse, goldshinny wrasse,thronie, lesser weaver, bass, tub gurnard, red gurnard, grey gurnard, shanny, rock goby, turbot,

CONGER COUNTER: 42
BEST CONGER : 32LB 1OZ

For this message the author jonny gilbert has received thanks:
MC (Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:27 pm)
jonny gilbert
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 6 times

Postby highwatermark » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:15 pm

Jonny,
Many thanks for the info.....I didn't really expect to hear from anyone, either no one here is travelling or they don't want company lol. You approach is exactly what I have in mind, bit of craic and fishing holiday and as you said........a fish is a bonus. 27 out of 1600 is a very respectful finish by any standards, well done. Thanks for the tip on the tides, I hadn't come across that before.
Cheers
highwatermark
SAI Bait Ball

Postby cormyb » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:32 am

Looking into going myself. Anybody have info on accomadation?
Any tips on bait. Do you guys bring your own or can you get it there?
cormyb
SAI Bait Ball

Postby highwatermark » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:39 am

cormyb, lottsa info on whitby sea anglers site and holderness also regarding bait, I fear you're not gonna get much here lol. Accommodation shouldn't be a problem either at the holiday campsites or B&B's local, altho with the numbers that attend you probably wouldnt want to leave it too late to book something. The ferry is expensive and its a good run over to the coast so all in all.....not a cheap few days.
highwatermark
SAI Bait Ball

Postby jonny gilbert » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:04 am

highwatermark wrote:Jonny,
Many thanks for the info.....I didn't really expect to hear from anyone, either no one here is travelling or they don't want company lol. You approach is exactly what I have in mind, bit of craic and fishing holiday and as you said........a fish is a bonus. 27 out of 1600 is a very respectful finish by any standards, well done. Thanks for the tip on the tides, I hadn't come across that before.
Cheers

Anytime buddy, I've been chatting with a few of my mates over there and at the minute they're hitting Ray's if the sea is calm and some nice cod about averaging the 6lb mark so fingers crossed the weather gods calm down a wee bit for the weekend lol
2010 species list: coalies, flounder, whiting, pollock, cod, doggie, sea trout, pouting, poor cod, short spined sea scorpion, long spined sea scorpion, 3 breaded rockling, shore rockling, 5 breaded rockling, tompot blenny, mackie, placie, dab, bullhuss, conger, ballan wrasse, corkwing wrasse, goldshinny wrasse,thronie, lesser weaver, bass, tub gurnard, red gurnard, grey gurnard, shanny, rock goby, turbot,

CONGER COUNTER: 42
BEST CONGER : 32LB 1OZ
jonny gilbert
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 6 times

Return to Clubs and Competitions