IFSA Home Nations Shore Championships Results

Looking for a club? Looking for members? Advertising a competition?
If you are not an established SAI poster your post may have to be approved.

Moderators: donal domeney, Rampent Wreckfish

IFSA Home Nations Shore Championships Results

Postby Bass Dad » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:07 am

Is there anybody on SAI who can tell me why there are no results from the recent Home Nations Shore Championships on the IFSA website ?
Bass Dad
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 49 times

Re: IFSA Home Nations Shore Championships Results

Postby donal domeney » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:28 pm

Attached, scroll down to read all.
Attachments
Book1.pdf
(235 KiB) Downloaded 176 times
Boat species '15 (31) Shore species (21) Total species 40 Specimen: (B) Bluemouth .92kg,(B) Spotted ray 6lb,(S) Painted ray 12.4lb
Boat species '16 (30) Shore species (17) Total species 36
Boat species '17 (35) Shore species (22) Total species 37 Specimen: (B) Bluemouth, (S) Flounder
donal domeney
Head of International Security and Bringer of World Peace

Have thanks: 1248 times

Postby Bass Dad » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:27 pm

Thanks very much Donal you're the man for the info.

I've only been into the match fishing properly for the last 2 years, fishing all my club matches annually and a few opens etc One thing I've found is the results part of the scene has quite often been frustrating with some competition results very slow in coming (if they come at all) or hard to find.

I've been a bit more surprised that the Home Nations Results were not put up on the IFSA website. Wales and England have results up , I can't find a Scottish set either though.

Is it just a lack of interest in Ireland ? Does anyone else find it strange ? Surely its the second biggest competition on the shore calendar each year ? I know a lot of effort goes into preparing the teams for the events and that taking part can cost a considerable amount especially if family members are travelling with younger anglers. I'm not looking to start a witch hunt , I'm just wondering if this is what can be expected and should I just get used to it?

The lack of funding for anglers representing the country at International level, a country which just reported angling was worth 3/4 of a billion to the economy, is something else I find astonishing but is a bigger issue to discuss right now , surely though putting up results on a website is not a lot to ask ? ........ Any thoughts please gentlemen ?

Please keep it clean I am hoping for some constructive debate on this issue or any other related issue concerning our shore match scene and don't want to start attacking individuals, thanks.
Bass Dad
SAI Bait Ball

Postby Bass Dad » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:22 am

Thanks for the couple of PM's atleast I know I'm not totally alone in my thoughts :)

Obviously the response ,after the number of views the thread has had, answers all my questions for me.....

Mods may aswell delete the thread cheers.
Bass Dad
SAI Bait Ball

Postby donal domeney » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:54 am

Bass Dad wrote:Thanks for the couple of PM's atleast I know I'm not totally alone in my thoughts :)

Obviously the response ,after the number of views the thread has had, answers all my questions for me.....

Mods may aswell delete the thread cheers.

177 views and 86 downloads on an IFSA related posts looks ok to me. Please explain further ?
Boat species '15 (31) Shore species (21) Total species 40 Specimen: (B) Bluemouth .92kg,(B) Spotted ray 6lb,(S) Painted ray 12.4lb
Boat species '17 (35) Shore species (22) Total species 37 Specimen: (B) Bluemouth, (S) Flounder
donal domeney

Postby corbyeire » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:04 am

It comes down to time and the IFSA being a voluntary organisation

There are so many other things that have to be dealt with that posting results unfortunately is always something that can wait

i find your so busy organising a competition over the weekend and then catching up with spreadsheets, lodging money, phonecalls emails etc. on the following week nights and weekend - it could be weeks before you think of putting results up

thanks for posting results donal

For this message the author corbyeire has received thanks:
EricH (Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:48 pm)
corbyeire
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 680 times

Postby Bass Dad » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:28 pm

corbyeire wrote:It comes down to time and the IFSA being a voluntary organisation

There are so many other things that have to be dealt with that posting results unfortunately is always something that can wait

i find your so busy organising a competition over the weekend and then catching up with spreadsheets, lodging money, phonecalls emails etc. on the following week nights and weekend - it could be weeks before you think of putting results up

thanks for posting results donal

If no one is bothered then it may aswell be left off the "to do list", its obviously just me as no one else seems to have an opinion on the matter.

"177 views and 86 downloads on an IFSA related posts looks ok to me. Please explain further ?" Quote Donal ,.........For explanation please refer to my original question on the first post, I asked why there was no results and no-one answered or gave an opinion to that question despite, as you point out, 177 views .

In the last 2 years match fishing I've had to listen to everyone complaining about the lack of competitors and general interest in the scene. Obviously the recession will have had a big effect on numbers taking part but I can't help thinking improvements could be made, or atleast an attempt to halt the slump.

The media side of things would have a big part to play in that by trying to create a buzz . Whats the harm in giving those youngsters that fished over in Wales a bit of credit and a moment in the limelight with a decent report on the governing body's website , delegate it to someone who has more time on their hands if others are too busy to deal with it.
The response to the Home Nations (shore) by the IFSA is hardly going to inspire other youngsters to want to become a match angler. If that attitude is at the foundation of the sport in this country then I personally think that is bad enough but to have it totally excepted and almost expected by all members and participants, well I think that's a real shame.
Bass Dad
SAI Bait Ball

Postby danbrosnan » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:06 pm

Bass dad you are dead right, it's just lack of interest from governments over the years, they will spend 900,000 grand a year on biscuits but fishing is not funded at all...

I think it all comes down to fishing been a pastime not a sport and if fishing was accepted into something like the Olympics then there would be massive changes, that's the bigger picture...

The national problem with the ifsa seems to be a big problem, I am no expert because I have only started match fishing this year, but from talking to people everyone has bad opinions on them.. I suggest you go further and try and get involved its your enthusiasm that'd needed...
I'd rather be fishing..

2013 : Bass, Flounder, rockling, rainbow, sea trout, sliver eel, flounder, plaice, brown trout, pike, conger, salmon, sea trout, mackerel, pollack, undulate"first".

2012 : Salmon, Sea Trout, Thornback, Ling, Pollack, Mackerel, Spanish Mackerel, Cod, Bass, Dog fish, Sole "From derrymore!", Pike, Roach, Dab, Turbot, Brown Trout.
danbrosnan
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 64 times

Postby corbyeire » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:19 am

angling is not a spectator sport - none of the media outlets have any interest
the irish team won gold at the world shore championships 3 years ago and it got no coverage in national media
if it was any other sport youd suddently watch the national interest spring up over night

at best you might get a local paper to publish something - its so hard to promote and generate sponsorship to creat a buzz about these events

believe me people within the IFSA contacted all the relevant people - we had one taker and then there was a car crash somewhere and that was the end of that - no coverage of one of the greatest achievements by the federations anglers

at best if you have a picture with kids or women with thier catch then you have an angle and a chance of getting a small article in

as regards the IFSA - it seems loads of people complain about it - and thats all they do
as dan said above why dont you, bass dad do something about it and take up a position?

there are too many people in multiple roles and every year the vote comes in november at agm and there are no new candidates

the match anglers expect professional circumstances - the main body of the IFSA membership expect certain levels of organisation
yet the federation has so little time, resources and more importantly money to put towards these things

bass dad and others join a provincial council or the central council - see what we are trying to do
and then when youve experienced what we have to deal with then by all means come on here and criticise our efforts

For this message the author corbyeire has received thanks:
EricH (Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:59 pm)
corbyeire
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 680 times

Postby donal domeney » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:49 pm

corbyeire wrote:Bass dad and others join a provincial council or the central council - see what we are trying to do
and then when youve experienced what we have to deal with then by all means come on here and criticise our efforts

Sadly Bass Dad would want to get his own house in order first. Something about stones and glasshouses come to mind

So when you are finished with your rant on here you as the club secretary of the host club might forward the full results of the 2nd leg of the Munster Closed Shore to the Provincial Secretary (me) so I can put them on record.
Also the Provincial Recorder is still waiting for the "recorder form" to be returned. This is meant to be sent back within 14 DAYS we are now into day 53 :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=43407

For this message the author donal domeney has received thanks: 2
corbyeire (Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:30 pm), nige (Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:10 pm)
donal domeney

Postby Bass Dad » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:45 am

I started this thread with a genuine and ,I thought ,a reasonable question not a rant . As stated I'm new to match fishing and had noticed the IFSA website had not put up results of an international competition even though it had local competition results on its website. I was looking for peoples opinions on the matter and I stated very obviously that I didn't want people personally attacked.
Is that a bad thing to do or wrong of me ? I thought this was a forum where people discussed angling related issue.

I now see that I have been personally attacked for a completely unrelated issue..........ok ? In answer to the question of match results for the Munster Closed .At the time of the competition I was informed that the Munster Secretary Jackie O'Keefe had resigned even though the IFSA website states, as I write this post, that Jackie is still secretary ,so as there was no acting secretary at that time we gave the results to the Munster Chairman who was present at the match James McCartan and no-one had informed me or anyone else at West Cork and District SAC of a problem with that until now and strangely using the medium of a forum!.... , for any further related issues please contact me using my email or phone number both of which can be found on the link at the bottom of my posts, thank you.

"I suggest you go further and try and get involved its your enthusiasm that'd needed..." quote danbrosnan
"corbyeire wrote:
Bass dad and others join a provincial council or the central council - see what we are trying to do
and then when you've experienced what we have to deal with then by all means come on here and criticise our efforts"

I honestly do not have the spare time. As a member of the lifeboat crew in Kinsale I am kept busy doing excercises , training , meetings and rescues , I've a casualty care course to replace all my fishing time for the whole month of August which will bring me up to paramedic standard. I work up to 60 hours a week, have 2 teenagers, am club secretary to West Cork and District and try to do bass guiding and write a blog (not updated recently for obvious reasons) . It is my only respite that I am actually able to fish the odd match.
If I did have the time and I put myself forward for a job within the IFSA (rather than being pressured into taking it) I would certainly apply myself as best I could, as you can see by the link provided on the last post I get my match results up very quickly.

With writers in the country as good as Steve Brennan of Irishsportfishing and the lads at Ullcatch who make a great effort to give us some decent media coverage, it's a shame there is not more interest in the sport.............now I know that that is what it is, a lack of interest along with maybe a bit of apathy , I can now see that I'm better off keeping my opinions to myself.
If any of you happened to be pegged next to me in a match though please don't moan to me about the poor turn out anymore, thank you.

P.S The Home Nation Shore results are now up on the governing body's website ,................. the information age :?: .

For this message the author Bass Dad has received thanks: 2
red (Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:34 pm), snots (Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:54 am)
Bass Dad
SAI Bait Ball

Postby kstaff » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:42 pm

Agreed Bass Dad and well said, if you havn't the time to do your assigned job you shouldn't be the one doing it in the first place!!!

Nobody has time to do anything but when asked they can go to great lengths to explain why!

Uploading results on a website all of 2 mins MAX, no excuses period!!!

National team, national website so info should be done before anything else, representing your country is voluntary too but those involved go above and beyond to give it their all so stop the crap about we hadn't time and take responsibility.
Blue n White is the new Black!!!

For this message the author kstaff has received thanks: 2
Bass Dad (Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:30 pm), red (Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:34 pm)
kstaff
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 308 times

Return to Clubs and Competitions