Virtual angling competition - any takers?

Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:44 am

What would you all think of a 'virtual' charity fishing comp on Boxing day (for example)? The principle's simple (if insane) enough.

We all fish whatever venue suits us each individually on the day, and so long as you either start or finish your session on Dec 26, 2005 and have paid your fee in advance, you're in.

Winner gets to nominate the charity receiving the proceeds (or do we have a poll etc) - so if you cheat to win, enjoy - what would be the point?

Rules might be: (feel free to suggest otherwise etc...)

1. Entry fee ?10 - or ?15 - payable before start date (would it be possible to use the SAI club PayPal account?).

2. So long as you are fishing at some time on Dec 26, 2005, you're in.

3. One fish, one point. 20cm minimum overall length (No 2nd/3rd party verification needed - honour system / catch & release)

4. All reports posted by 18:00 on Dec 27, 2005

5. Any bait, lure etc allowed. 3 hook limit per rod. 2 rods max.

If nothing else, how hard-hearted would your missus have to be to complain about you going fishing if it's for charity?

Or would New year's day be better? I know I need somewhere to hide from the turkey leftovers. I doubt I'm the only one....

Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:52 am

Nice idea Sandman, Ill be up for that. Seeing as its being run on an honour basis (and after all we're all a pretty honourable lot :D ) think winner should be able to nominate their own charity. Come on lads, tis the season of goodwill and all that, what price €15.00 for an excuse to get out of the house at this god forsaken time of year!!

Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:01 am

One other idea, divide number of points by hours fished and winner is person with highest average points per hour? After all, someone scoring 10 points after 4 hours surely beats someone scoring 12 points after 6. Just a thought.....

Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:38 pm

how about extending it to any 5 hour session you fish between christmas day and new years day?? give more people a chance to get out - half the proceeds to kieran to help pay costs of running the site, the other half to charity of best results choice??

Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:18 am

I would go along with petekd's and BigPhil's refinements to Sandman's proposal:-

Points per hour

Session between defined dates

Distribute proceeds between www site and nominated charity.

This, hopefully, would encourage maximum participation in this goodwill event.

Peter

Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:39 pm

how about max of 3 hooks between the two rods ie 2 on 1rod, 1 on the other or else 1 rod 3 hooks?
perhaps all fish count?
Daylight only?

or because of short notice perhaps hold it off to new year and have the comps fished at regional meets on same dates???

doesnt seem to be many takers on the proposal so far for the amount of viewers....could i suggest moving this topic to another forum??perhaps shore Q+A?it may get more replies that way?make it sticky?

just suggestions, ill leave it all up to sandman.....this one is his baby!

Bigphil

Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:54 pm

Me and Lee are fishing with you on the 29th , possibly beachcaster too , so im sure that would count. plenty of not so independant witnesses too :)

Andy

Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:51 pm

Some good suggestions there, but I think we're a bit late getting it organised for over the holidays. Could probably have used a higher profile on some of the other forums, as mentioned. Everyone ok if we leave this one until the new year then? I'll post it up on the shore angling q/a forum when I get organised.

I'll just have to find another excuse to get the rod out on Boxing day though. :lol:

Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:51 am

Another excuse??? Here are a few reasons why we must all get out there on Stephens day :lol:

1) Battery operated toys.
2) Lovely cold dried out congealed turkey.
3) Yet more sprouts. Why do we do this to ourselves? Its like we eat these things once a year as some form of penance for sins committed!
4) Visits from partners relatives
5) Visits from your own relatives
6) Being press ganged into going visiting yourselves.
7) Being made to tidy up.
8) Kids flying up and down outside your house on new bikes, scooters etc
9) Being forced to scrub yesterdays trays which were, ahem, "left to soak".
10) Crappy television.
11) Pubs packed to capacity with underagers being sick from 3.00 on
12) And finally, worst of all, suggestions of early "sale shopping" AAARRRGGGHHH!

Merry Christmas lads, I know what I'm doing Stephens day, Its not too late to save yourselves! :D