Keeping juniors at the sport

Looking for a club? Looking for members? Advertising a competition?
If you are not an established SAI poster your post may have to be approved.

Moderators: donal domeney, Rampent Wreckfish

Keeping juniors at the sport

Postby cathald » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:18 pm

Lot's of clubs are wondering why there club numbers are falling and I believe it's because there is not enough to lure children away from their xbox's
I've been taking my nephew to competitions for the last 3 years and he love's the craic and banter among fellow anglers
I fished a boat comp at the weekend and Dylan won the junior section which I was delighted for him but unfortunately when I seen the prize he had won my blood boiled and I let the organizers know my feelings.
It cost the young lad(who is only 13) €70 to fish both days which is a bit steep to start with but the prize he received was awful a crap fixed spool reel which you can buy for I'd say €10-€15 and that's me being generous and this was given to them so they didn't even have to pay for it.

Not all clubs are like this I have to say Culdaff, Killybegs, Foyle to name a few have put up great prizes for the junior sections in the past and I hope they keep doing so.

I think clubs who run competitions and have a junior section should at least stick up a decent prize to tempt the young boys and girls to pick up a rod and enjoy the sport we all love.These kids are the next generation of anglers that perhaps someday get into the irish teams

rant over sorry but it needed to be said.

mods if this is not in the right section can you move please
2011 species so far
coalfish,plaice,dab flounder,turbot,sea trout,thornback ray,pollock,ling,mackeral

One day.. Facebook, Youtube, Myspace and Friendster will come together as one. It will be called, FookYouMyFriend.

For this message the author cathald has received thanks: 2
gfkelly1969 (Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:50 pm), MC (Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:22 am)
cathald
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 37 times

Re: Keeping juniors at the sport

Postby corney » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:35 pm

Very well said Cathal
Blue Wave. Sea Angling Club

For this message the author corney has received thanks:
cathald (Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:13 pm)
corney
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 4 times

Postby paul mason » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:24 am

You have a very valid point!!! and not enough is been done. In the Southshore SAC which I'm a member we have free entry to all competitions for juniors and we give every junior a good prize irrespective of them catching a fish. It's important to encourage juniors after all they are the furture of the sport.
Kstaff has always been the new black in my eyes anyway!!!!!!!

Indomitable spirit - never giving up or wanting to give up.

http://www.adverts.ie/shops/east-coast-tackle/

http://www.eastcoasttackle.ie

East Coast Tackle

For this message the author paul mason has received thanks:
cathald (Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:13 pm)
paul mason
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 145 times

Postby BigPhil » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:20 pm

I have seen it first hand, through my time being a junior, and then running competitions as a senior for juniors, in which you try to get the best prizes possible for them.

I have seen the time when juniors were reached everything under the shining sun at prize presentations, given free bait for competitions, free transport to cometitions , you name it.... and guess what, very few of them still out fishing competitions regularly. Sometimes it doesnt matter what you do, this then makes those seniors who made all the effort wonder why the bothered, and the generousity sometimes stops..

I know cost is a major issue but i can remember when as juniors a few of us regularly fished boat competitions, (3 or 4 of us in Ulster alone were capable of holding our own at that age group on a home nations level im sure) indeed giving many of the senior anglers onboard a spanking! but unfortunately there was no team for us to make, which at the time i have to admit was very disappointing, i realise there are all sorts of implications involved re guardians etc but it will all boil down to money.

we always tried to run senior comps on a cash payout, based on the senior entry. all donated prizes from sponsors always went to juniors, indeed money from club funds was also used to boost the junior prize table and junior entry fees kept to a minimum.

a key thing i think is not to have juniors brainwashed with thinking that the aim of angling is making teams winning prizes, trophies, money etc, more pleasure angling and learning should be involved where possible i believe to let them get the true love of the sport and maybe in turn keep them at it.... its not all about competitions!
Not the BigPhil from Irish Angler mag, I'm the original, i swear!!!!

For this message the author BigPhil has received thanks: 3
cathald (Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:13 pm), jd (Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:36 pm), mitch (Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:23 pm)
BigPhil
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 13 times

Postby kstaff » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:01 pm

a key thing i think is not to have juniors brainwashed with thinking that the aim of angling is making teams winning prizes, trophies, money etc, more pleasure angling and learning should be involved where possible i believe to let them get the true love of the sport and maybe in turn keep them at it.... its not all about competitions!

Point well made! The first priority with Juniors is to ensure they are put on venues where the fish are and plenty of them, they will enjoy their day far more and want to go again if the fishing keeps them busy and interested in the sport, letthem develop at their own pace if they wish to do so.
Blue n White is the new Black!!!
kstaff
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 308 times

Postby cathald » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:16 pm

Most of our fishing is pleasure fishing and Dylan really enjoys that and has a keen interest,I know it's not all about competitions and winning prizes but when we do enter comps and win a section you do expect a decent offering instead of a piece of crap
2011 species so far
coalfish,plaice,dab flounder,turbot,sea trout,thornback ray,pollock,ling,mackeral

One day.. Facebook, Youtube, Myspace and Friendster will come together as one. It will be called, FookYouMyFriend.
cathald
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 37 times

Return to Clubs and Competitions