THE MASTER ANGLER SHORE RESULTS ANOTHER BLOODY MESS

Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:58 pm

The following post is in no way intended to discredit the hard work done by Connaught Council, the host club and the excellent stewards the made the event a huge success.
This is about the total f### up that was made of the results

On the Saturday night of the masters the results of the first session were posted up for anglers to see.
Within no time anglers noticed that there were errors in the results and the results were later removed. On the Sunday morning the results of the first two sessions were not posted for anglers to see.
Why?
Once again rumour was rife of another cock up at this the premier angling event in the angling calendar.

This is not the first time that errors have been made at the masters we all remember the debacle of last year. Add this to the cock up in the boat fish offs where the winner was name before the anglers had to point out that the results were wrong and they had to be corrected and a new winner was announced.

Do we as anglers deserve this?
The usual excuse and apology from the same person is not good enough.
Sadly this time it was one big cover up

I downloaded and saved the result from the I.F.S.A. web site on the day they were put up.
These results have since been amended with no cover note to point out this fact and not apology to the anglers.

1 edit done as a requested from a member of the top table

WE AS PAID UP MEMBERS OF THE I.F.S.A. DESERVE BETTER WE NEED TO SEE A HEAD ROLL FOR ALL THESE COCK UPS.

Excuses are no longer acceptable. Otherwise this debacle will keep happening over and over again.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: THE MASTER ANGLER SHORE RESULTS ANOTHER BLOODY MESS

Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:07 pm

The amended version of the amended version arrived in the post this morning and stills no letter of apology or even an excuse.

Do they take us all as a bunch of dopes?

I am a member of 3 angling clubs and have handed over €90 to the IFSA coffers for people to be wined and dined at mine and you expense for this. 1 edit done as a requested from a member of the top table

Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:59 pm

i agreed with you donal,and if you didnt post this it would have more than likely went un-said,the amount of time,money and effort put into not only getting into the master angler but then travelling up to fish it seems to go unnoticed by some but at the end of it all you would expect at least the results to be right. people now will just start to think will they even bother fishing the comp if this keeps up,and i thought we should be encouraging people to fish rather than drive them away with silly mistakes that can potentially decide if they get a chance to fish for their country.

Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:44 pm

Thats a complete cock up :oops: :oops: :oops: why the hell would you even want to get involved with the like of this......competion angling i dont think so......not for me

Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:57 pm

The results posted above were the first edition : :oops: :oops: :oops:

The ones posted on IFSA web site http://www.ifsa.ie/ are the second edition Download them and save them :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

The ones I got in the post are the third edition :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Will we ever see the final edition

What a joke

Any result you see now can be taken with a pinch of salt

Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:33 am

AGM is november the 5th - use the organisition itself to correct the problems you see within it

no point in re-inventing the wheel

these problems are well known in IFSA circles and hopefully will get aired on the 5th

Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:01 pm

donal domeney wrote:The results posted above were the first edition : :oops: :oops: :oops:

The ones posted on IFSA web site <A class=vglnk title="Link added by VigLink" href="http://www.ifsa.ie/" rel=nofollow vglnk_1319712456907="1">http://www.ifsa.ie/</A> are the second edition Download them and save them :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

The ones I got in the post are the third edition :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Will we ever see the final edition

What a joke

Any result you see now can be taken with a pinch of salt

How hard can it be to get the results correct!!!! They had all of Saturday afternoon/evening to get the first session correct before they put them up in the hotel reception, all of Saturday night to get the second session correct, and then all they had to do was get the top 12 correct after the third session (save everyone having to wait around for hours)!!!! They could have then released the FULL RESULTS a day or two later after making sure everything was 100%

Roll on the AGM!!!!
Last edited by onlyacod on Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:08 pm

fair play donal needed to be aired.fell bad for anyone whos results were wrong it is a joke it was a costly weekend and well run by the lads up there.
i think there needs to be 4 people one to check the zones so each zone is checked 4 times,anyone who runs competitions knows how easy it is to make small mistakes when dealing with loads of cards esp if there wet.
i hear there is also an issue of to many anglers with some clubs witch entreis were take for the money,this is wrong too.
it will be aired at the agm and should be sorted there.

Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:39 pm

corbyeire wrote:AGM is november the 5th - use the organisition itself to correct the problems you see within it

no point in re-inventing the wheel

these problems are well known in IFSA circles and hopefully will get aired on the 5th

Donal is 110% right to express his opinions here, what he has to say is in the interest off all IFSA members not just those who will attend the meeting. I pay 2 IFSA fees every year and i want to know my hard earned money is being put to the best possible use.

Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:32 pm

i understand you want to air your views bigsod - but this is an IFSA problem

i was not saying - you shouldnt air your views - i was implying the method to solve it

year on year the same stuff comes up - we tell people go to your club - make a representation to your provincial council and get the issue raised at the IFSA agm

they are not going to change anything if we bitch about it here

more likely it will get into libel territory etc. and we will have to pull the thread to protect the site

i personally have any amount of things i would like changed with the IFSA
its a big tanker thats so slow to turn around, but you have to start somewhere

these same issues cant flare up and die away each year and nothing happens

get up to the agm or your representative and get them voting

be organised with your proposals well in advance of next years AGM etc.

i have total sympathy for the anglers, club and volunteers at these flaghip comps and many others who in the end can get tarnished through some mistake not of their own making

Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:18 pm

To try and brush this under the carpet is unacceptable, the least bit of criticism always results in the old favorite "well go to the AGM/make a motion to your provincial council"
Donal brought to our attention and he should be applauded for this, people deserve to know the truth. This is not intended as a bitch at the IFSA. Im fully aware my ramblings here have absolutly no impact at the AGM, I just felt compelled to reply to Corbyeires respose to what I feel is very relevent information from Donal.

Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:05 pm

Good man Shane! :D

Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:15 pm

bigsod wrote:To try and brush this under the carpet is unacceptable, the least bit of criticism always results in the old favorite "well go to the AGM/make a motion to your provincial council"
Donal brought to our attention and he should be applauded for this, people deserve to know the truth. This is not intended as a bitch at the IFSA. Im fully aware my ramblings here have absolutly no impact at the AGM, I just felt compelled to reply to Corbyeires respose to what I feel is very relevent information from Donal.

fair enough bigsod - but it is very easy to have a go at a system "well go to the AGM/make a motion to your provincial council"
what is your alternative?

Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:45 pm

the problem with the old 'go to the agm' line is that it is as flawed as the ifsa itself. a major change was brought in democratically and following 'correct procedures' at the agm last year about bait supplied at the masters and we all know what happened there. the ifsa is currently a total joke and anglers are understandably frustrated with it.

Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:46 pm

My alterantive would be to do away with the IFSA and have seperate federations for Boat, shore and casting. The decision makers of these federations would be made up of people who have an intimate knowlege of each disipline.I admit that it might lead to some people being affiliated to 2 maybe 3 federations but at least their interests will be handled by people who know the disipline inside out.

Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:36 pm

Firstly to say I am not a member of the IFSA.

I would be interested to see the explanation of how the errors occurred. Since 2003 we depend on a computer based system to produce our results in the Cork Small Boats Festival. The system has be subjected to rigorous testing. Over the years we have built in “automatic error checking” where we can. Each year we review the operation of the scoring system and see what improvements can be made to automatically check on the data input.

As with all computers, garbage in = garbage out. During testing we eliminated any “system” errors. Now we find that any errors are “errors of input”. There is an element of risk when using excel to sort results. Unless the workbook is controlled automatically by “macro” there is always the possibility of an “operator error” in sorting. The operator must be capable and the layout must compliment easy operation.

It is terrible that errors like this would occur at national level at important events. Errors are always possible but a catalogue of errors is a bit much.

Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:00 pm

Having seen the 3rd edition of this fine mess there still is 7 anglers scores incorrect, bring on the 4th edition. these errors are not down to the programme or pc but down to the individual obviously nothing was learned from last years fiasco. Every angler from first to last is entitled to have their correct placing after paying 120 euro.
As for the AGM a notice of motion was passed as follows
that the full results be displayed for all sessions of The Master Angler Shore and Boat Championships, to include the number of fish and points scored by each competing angler.
this was implemented at this competion and what do we find
a series of discrepancies that were not detected by the recorder. One has to ask the question are there more errors contained in the master sheets which were transferred to the results sheet.
Well done dominator for highlighting this mess our club will not be sending a master angler next year and more than lightly we will not affiliate to the ifsa who by way after 4 years have still not ratified its rule book. Roll on the local pub club.

Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:57 am

im not a member of the i.f.s.a & have'nt been for some years now(thankfully),but by the look of it things have'nt changed much since the last time i fished a master angler,bout 10 years ago i think...it was up in achill island & there was a storm blowing for the night session,they told half the anglers it was'nt ok to fish & the other half it was,so you had 60 odd anglers on the beach fishing for about 2 hours before they had reilisted they had made a cock up & il always remember gettin back to the hotel & you'd all the fat cats(full of free grub & grog) lookin at the anglers that they had sent out as if to say the anglers that braved the elements were wrong....needless to say it was the last time i fished a i.f.s.a competition...

Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:20 am

The only way things are going to change are if people are willing to step forward and be elected to the boards of the IFSA and provincial councils. People can talk here for days weeks months etc etc but if your not willing to go forward and put the effort in then nothing is going to change.

Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:55 am

nige wrote:The only way things are going to change are if people are willing to step forward and be elected to the boards of the IFSA and provincial councils. People can talk here for days weeks months etc etc but if your not willing to go forward and put the effort in then nothing is going to change.

I realy am getting sick of this go to the AGM line. Many individuals have gone to AGMs with very forward thinking proposals and they have fallen on deaf ears. The only way things will change is if enough like minded people get together and make the decisions that effect the compeditive side of our sport. I for one will be willing to stand up and be counted.