Re: Boat fish off

Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:56 pm

CEng wrote:Jim,

By the way, are you Hired for the 'Fish Off's?

What has that got to do with the price of turnips in South Africa????

Of course the ideal solution is that the fish offs should be fished at the venue of the world event say the week before just get the entire pool of anglers off out to S Africa or wherever the event is to be held that year and have the FO's before the main event problem solved :twisted: :)

Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:59 pm

If you have a problem with the venue for the fish-offs perhaps you should make your views known either directly or through your club delegate at the IFSA National AGM on November 5th.

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:00 pm

Agree with you Jim C with regard to the small boats format - many's the good day I've had species fishing out of Cork. Look forward to a few more before the year is out. Beats fishing for Whiting and Dabs all day ( Dabs this year - the pin Whiting are scarce enough T.F). Good luck to those who qualify for South Africa.

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:56 pm

CEng wrote:Agree with you Jim C with regard to the small boats format - many's the good day I've had species fishing out of Cork. Look forward to a few more before the year is out. Beats fishing for Whiting and Dabs all day ( Dabs this year - the pin Whiting are scarce enough T.F). Good luck to those who qualify for South Africa.

I know many lads who put tremendous effort to their competition fishing in the hope of making the IFSA team. I have no doubt that they enjoy it too! As the fella said... you makes your choices.

It still doesn't take from the fact that Cork is a great venue for the time of year.
What happens if the weather is good... do the boats go out?

Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:18 pm

The weather was perfect last year but the boats stayed inside the harbour, just off the channel around the 'chapel hole'. The fishing there is predictable, predominately Whiting and Dabs - it will be no different this year, but with larger numbers of Dabs around at the moment but that could change before the Fish Off's. Maybe it should be fished outside the harbour where it is less predicable - at the moment the winners will be those who can speed fish better than the next guy - who says this is an attribute that will be required in South Africa - maybe an angler who can adopt to different situations may be a better asset for 2012. Just a thought. One other thing to remember, the Irish Team that faired best over the last few years was that which was selected directly from the Masters before the Fish Off system was introduced.

Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:01 pm

True but by keeping the boats within the harbour it is a far more level playing field if the boats go outside then it can depend greatly on what boat an angler is on- on the day, and that's hardly a good way to select a team.

Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:28 am

CEng wrote:One other thing to remember, the Irish Team that faired best over the last few years was that which was selected directly from the Masters before the Fish Off system was introduced.

That is correct in the 2008 Championships held in Holland Ireland came 4th overall which was a massive achievement but look at the venues the championships has been fished in since France, Montenegro and Italy all small fish venues where the Mediterranean teams will always come out on top. Ireland came 8th this year in Italy which in itself was brillant considering how different the style of fishing is over there to our own.
I dont think anyone doubts the suitability of Cork Harbour to hold the likes of the fish offs especially at that time of year however I do believe that there is a strong case to be made to having the fishoffs held the day after the Masters (on a bank holiday) so that it circulates throughout the four provences.

Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:32 pm

Results dont lie. The Munster anglers qualifying out of the fishoffs have a terrible record in the Worlds . Why is that? All the effort is going into practise for the fishoffs in Cork harbour ie dab and whiting while the guys in the other provinces have a more varied type of training ,hence these anglers are far more versatile when they get to the Worlds. The Munster lads are as good as any others its just the "Cork harbour factor" thats not allowing them to express their talent in its totality.

Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:11 pm

Thanks for you input Mohawk, I want to address some of your comments
[quote="Mohawk"]
No point in whinging n moaning on the forums about having to travel to Cork Harbour (Ireland's national stadium of boat angling :) ) if you feel you're simply either not good enough to compete at this level ........do not deserve a place on any national team!! [quote="Mohawk"]

You have hit the nail on the head, Im not going because im not good enough.
BUT I have however qualified for the fish-offs therefore it is possible for me to travel to Cork, avoid finishing in the bottom 10 or 12, and stay in the pool. Now I dont have to fish another comp all year, just show up in Cork the following year. Am I getting any better as an Angler? No!
But the current set-up will allow me to continue to do that until eventually I can wind 3 dabs or 3 whiting, in faster than the rest of the guys on my boat.

Personally I dont think that is the way to select the best anglers in the country.

You may call that whinging or moaning, however I have earned my place in the pool, and therefore fell I have a right to comment..........have you?

Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:38 pm

Ok Off to the AGM with this one :)