Re: closed gold medal venues

Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:11 am

Beelo wrote:benone is a typical north north west coast surf beach, as far as i can see it is no worse than the surf beaches in donegal sligo etc. i do agree that there is alot of comps fished on the venue and in fairness it can fish well at the right time of year. What i cant understand is why it is fished in january and february. There seems to be some kind of finna fail like following to the beach! but obviously by the amount of clubs that hold their opens on the beach some people must enjoy fishing it. I personally dont mind fishing benone in the autumn but dont understand twice. Anyways its good practice, as this years master angler is probably going to have similar type venues :D :shock:

One of the reasons in my opinion that benone is picked so often for open competitions is for money £2 or more from each anglers entry fee goes to the UPC for a levy so the more entrants the more money goes to the UPC any way thats just my thoughts

Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:27 pm

This is certainly not the case , We can get up to 50 anglers on any beach so it is not for the money !. The reason it is on Benone is that is where it is sanctioned at the AGM.

It makes absolutely no difference to me where it is held as I do not fish the Comp.

Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:29 am

paul it is the same every year people who dont attend the agm when the venues are picked wanting to have their say afterwards. the club delegates(of all that attended) voted for the venues end of story. Hopefully we shall see everyone at the agm this october and then all concerned will be happy

Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:01 pm

Thanks Codfather

It's good to hear from someone that's in agreement

Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:19 pm

I wasnt able to attend the AGM myself this year past, and am an officer on the UPC.
As said before, the venues were selected by those delegates who were present at the AGM, so therefore it rules out any possibility of venues being picked to suit individual anglers, this argument was raised in the previous 2 years because of a certain venue being selected...ie Ballykelly.
Ballykelly was originally chosen following a sucessful competition ran by loughs agency a few years ago, but alas, when it was tried in closed gold medal it didnt produce, most likely due to the time of year it was fished.... id say as it hasnt been chosen again, lesson was learnt.
last few times i have fished benone, its been poor, will it stop me going, no!
I know the potential this venue can have and indeed on some sessions last year while pleasure fishing it fished its nuts off, with numbers of counting fish per angler well into double figures.

its a 7 mile stretch of beach, with many areas on it not even fished normally.

in turn there are many venues that could be used if fished by zone.
over the years the format has changed, numbers of legs changed, venues have changed, but it is down to the delegates present to make changes to these things.
just a reminder that there is a UPC meeting this sunday coming in Burt Co.Donegal all Ulster clubs should send delegates

Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:21 pm

Phil

I know the meeting on Sunday in Burt is held mainly to facilitate our Clubs in Co.Donegal
but it is open to all Club Delegates , let's see how many turn up !

Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:36 am

baldy wrote:Phil

I know the meeting on Sunday in Burt is held mainly to facilitate our Clubs in Co.Donegal
but it is open to all Club Delegates , let's see how many turn up !

is there any chance of going to donegal and changing the closed gold medal venues i think not so whats the point it can wait till cookstown then things can be changed

Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:48 am

phil i know your not the original big phil the original big phil is the one from irish angler i should know ive known him for 52 years we are related i know this hasnt anything to do with the benone topic but i just thought id let you know

Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:28 pm

I thought maybe as it is a Delegates meeting all our Clubs would like to send at least 1 Delegate.

Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:23 pm

eddie wrote:phil i know your not the original big phil the original big phil is the one from irish angler i should know ive known him for 52 years we are related i know this hasnt anything to do with the benone topic but i just thought id let you know

eddie, its just been my signature on here for years now... just incase some newcomers to the forum got us muddled up, know the other phil and have fished with him myself. Just the name ive had in fishing circles etc for years.