closed gold medal venues

Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:05 am

was told a few days ago that the ulster closed gold medal is to be fished at benone east strand and again at benone who decides the venues is it someone or somebodies that want to keep the number of anglers competing down so that the someone or somebodies have a better chance of keeping their place on the ulster team or trying to make sure of a place on the ulster team any one else got any thoughts on the matter

Re: closed gold medal venues

Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:38 am

eddie wrote:was told a few days ago that the ulster closed gold medal is to be fished at benone east strand and again at benone who decides the venues is it someone or somebodies that want to keep the number of anglers competing down so that the someone or somebodies have a better chance of keeping their place on the ulster team or trying to make sure of a place on the ulster team any one else got any thoughts on the matter

I dont really know anything about the ulster scene or the gold medal so I wont reply to you on those issues,but I do know that horrible desert that is benone. What a leech on your pocket and a tax on your brain that place is.
I reckon its the worst match venue in the country. I dont understand why people go back to it over and over again. Its just a complete lottery venue. ------- "Keys in a bowl"

Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:46 am

hate the place......has nothin going for it, :roll:

Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:58 am

Its a bit like Glenda Gillson, good to look at but nothing to offer :lol:

Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:26 pm

bigsod wrote:Its a bit like Glenda Gillson, good to look at but nothing to offer :lol:

Thats the quote of the year so far :lol:

Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:46 pm

benone beach/lottery....."keys in a bowl", I dont even want to think about that. :lol:

Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:01 pm

Those venues are a joke, as said they are complete peggy venues. I cannot understand why fairer venues are not chosen. You have the likes of waterfoot, carnlough or cushendun. Why not put a zone on each of these venues, cause at the end of the day thats what your fishing for your zone. That would probably just be to easy. :roll:

Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:55 pm

Maybe Benone has not fished up to it's true potential recently . What beaches have.

We all have beaches we don't like :(

When it fishes well , it fishes very well . We have had comps on Benone that took 9 spurdog to win . Turbot to 11lb , flounder to 2.5lb , bass to 10.5lb , mullet coley , lsd, even haddock. :lol:

Comps where over 300 fish at check in . Winner 19 fish.

Our team is picked over 3 sessions , anything wrong with that , the Sessions are picked at the AGM. Anglers choice. Not by any single angler

Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:23 am

i know the team is picked over three comps im on it for this years interprovincals but still dont understand why benone twice if the venues are picked at the agm they must have been picked by anglers who only have seen photos of benone and not fished it once never mind wanting to fish it twice surely it would be better to canvass all the ulster clubs and pick the three most voted for venues that way most of the club anglers would be happy as they picked the venues without having to go to dublin

Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:41 am

I agree about that place is. The amount of good marks about the coast you are spoiled for choice.
Last edited by nicki d on Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:50 am

If you want the venues changed the place to do it is the AGM !

Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:00 pm

Nothing wrong with Benone at the right time of year.

Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:28 pm

Cheers Pete :lol:

Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:30 pm

well i know the venues need to go to the agm to be changed but as you can see from the comments here that would be very easy to do but why not let the ulster clubs decide the venues first then at the agm the venues can be approved a lot of different club anglers that i have spoken to are saying that they wont be fishing this competion because of the choice of venues this year surely thats no way to encourage anglers to competions

Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:53 pm

I say again bring your ideas to the AGM in October!

Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:44 am

petekd wrote:Nothing wrong with Benone at the right time of year.

you are right there pete it was the right time of year for you two years ago when you won the jimmy smith at benone so nothing wrong with the time of year then and just to say i fnished 8th out of 106 anglers that day two weeks later at nearly the same peg area i had the proverbial blank

Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:48 am

baldy wrote:I say again bring your ideas to the AGM in October!

well paul you are right i will have to bring my ideas to the next agm and im sure ill have plenty of like minded anglers with me

Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:45 pm

I fished benone in the last closed gold and won my zone. The guy next to me stood and watched all day without a bite. He was using standard match tactics like myself but just could not catch.The guy to my right had one fish.I had 11 flats and a mullet. This is an extremly peggy wind blown beach with the majority of the time anglers blanking.(I had one 18cm fish a few weeks ago on
it.)Coming off the beach early I made my mind up never to fish it again unless I was forced to in a major comp. I certainally will not be fishing this coming closed gold on it. I will travel down to wexford were there is a chance of a decent comp.(if only they would fish 5 hours like us up here we would be down more often)

Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:25 am

petekd wrote:Nothing wrong with Benone at the right time of year.

All you got to do is cast out put on ur floatie and fall asleep for a few hours :twisted:

Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:48 pm

benone is a typical north north west coast surf beach, as far as i can see it is no worse than the surf beaches in donegal sligo etc. i do agree that there is alot of comps fished on the venue and in fairness it can fish well at the right time of year. What i cant understand is why it is fished in january and february. There seems to be some kind of finna fail like following to the beach! but obviously by the amount of clubs that hold their opens on the beach some people must enjoy fishing it. I personally dont mind fishing benone in the autumn but dont understand twice. Anyways its good practice, as this years master angler is probably going to have similar type venues :D :shock: