1st Leg Munster Closed Shore.

Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:20 pm

1ST LEG MUNSTER CLOSED SHORE

DATE- SATURDAY 22ND JANUARY 2011

VENUE- ROSSBEIGH STRAND

FISHING FROM-1PM – 6PM

CHECK-IN FROM 10AM – 11:30AM
at The Glenbeigh Hotel, Glenbeigh, Co Kerry

This is a pre-entry competition competitors should approach the Secretary of their club for an application form.

ENTRY FEE- €25 OPTIONAL POOL €10

TO BE FORWARDED TO

Your Club Secretary together with the completed application form.

ENTRY FORMS MUST BE ACCOMPANIED BY FEES AND SUBMITTED BY CLUB SECRETARIES ONLY

€25 ENTRY FEE INCLUDES €5 TOWARDS MUNSTER TEAM

CLOSING DATE LAST POST-TUESDAY 18TH JANUARY 2011

PHOTOCOPIES OF THE ENTRY FORM ARE ACCEPTABLE

OPTIONAL POOL (50/50 ROUND/FLAT FISH)

Re: 1st Leg Munster Closed Shore.

Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:33 pm

drunk :cry: right on the door step and i am going to miss it :(

Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:06 pm

I wasnt sure if this post made it up on the site as a combination of bday celebrations and a contrary broadband connection. Hope to get a good turnout for this comp as its our first leg hosting. If it goes well then hopefully we can become regular hosts. Don't be scared to make the trip lads a bit of diversity is what were always moaning about.

Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:06 pm

great to see akerry club and a new venue,bit of a balls i wont be able to make it to this one tho would of loved to fished it :( pitty its in jan.

Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:31 pm

heard rosbeigh is full of weed lads any truth to this?

Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:58 pm

surely someone has had a look and can shed some light on this :cry:

Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:11 pm

Hi Guys, Anybody got a soft copy of the Munster closed entry form?

Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:37 pm

entry is closed now i think bud. if ya contact the secretary of the host club he/she might if they are any way human let ya fish. you could probably get the phone number on the tralee bay sac website. hope thats of some help to ya

Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:17 am

Circumstances prevailed I only discovered this comp was on following a phone call from a mate a few days before. In fairness, I hadnt checked online, however, diaries have not been sent out yet either. It was Friday morning before I could take a decision as to whether or not I could travel and after a phone call being placed to a friend in the host club who in turn contacted the person in charge of check in, my entry was refused. This is an absolute disgrace. This post is not intended as a slight on Tralee Bay SAC but whoever it was refused the entry needs to take a long hard look at themselves. Dont want the hassle of organising check in? Then leave it to someone else. In a time of diminishing attendances at matches, clubs should be doing everything they can to encourage people to attend open comps, not looking for excuses to turn them away. Closing entry for a saturday comp on the Tuesday beforehand is crazy, what on earth is that about? I appreciate that a club has to budget for prizes etc but how that should involve turning people away, I struggle to get my head around. Particularly when I was informed it was cash prizes on the day!

This was all discussed after last years crap attendance at the Munster Open. After that discussion I would have thought that organisers would have taken a more sensible view or do they just not listen to Joe Angler? Its poor enough that we are now looking at a €25 entry fee which in the times we are in I think is excessive but thats another argument, but to then turn people away because you cant be arsed putting 1 more peg in the sand is ridiculous. Want a solution, follow the BASS clubs lead for their hosting of the second leg. Its not rocket science. As host clubs for anglers travelling down away from the usual East Cork/Waterford venues everything should be done to encourage anglers to travel to fresher venues and I would be the first to praise teh kerry clubs for taking an interest in hosting these as its not too often we get the opportunity to hit the beaches in that area.

Can anyone give me a single valid reason as to why entries could not have been taken up to the night before? I have never, on account of lateness of entry ever been refused entry to a comp before. This is Munster, its a pretty tight community of anglers, all it ever used to take was a phone call, what on earth is going on that this has been changed?

Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:24 am

while also not wanting to point fingers or get into the blame game i fully agree with pete that this situation is absolutely insane. this has become something of a tradition in munster competitions over the last few years i think it stems from a precident set when clubs gave out prizes as opposed to cash taken in on the day. this must end now. there is no justifiable reason for turning anglers away from competitions. we are all responsible for the promotion not only of our sport but also of our organisation and if we cannot be accomodating to our own members how must we look from outside.

i would also like to congradulate Tralee Bay SAC on a well organised and well run first leg. i look forward to fishing the munsters in the kingdom in future just hope the fishing is better :P :D :lol: .

Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:29 am

d'oh :oops:
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=31574

I'll post up a more detail point of view when I get a chance

Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:32 am

rocketman wrote:.

while also not wanting to point fingers or get into the blame game i fully agree with pete that this situation is absolutely insane.

beware of the sunshine angler :roll: :roll:

Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:27 pm

any results?

Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:40 pm

Congrats to Ritchie Dalton Waterford on winning the first leg of the Munster Closed shore...

48 0f the 50 Anglers booked ,fished on the day...

A total of 32 fish were caught ,all flounder...

A big thank you to the host club Tralee Bay...Who looked after us, and made us feel very welcome on the day...

Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:47 am

Well done to all who fished ,congratulation to Tralee S.A.C on a very well organised comp looking forward to next year already unfortunately the weather was too good which reflected on the fishing being so poor(no surf)very unusual weather for ireland normaly its the opposite

As regards refusing anglers entry in this day and age is unacceptable for what ever reason or point of view.numbers are dwindling(thats a fact!)The majority of anglers are in financial difficulty(as is the rest of the country)in this current economic climate, living day to day and might not know till fri weather they can afford to fish.Having the closing date 5 days before the comp is crazy.The entry is also too expensive 25euro +10 euro optional pool maybe the munster council might look at reducing this maybe 5 euro optional pool and 20euro entry including the 5 euro towards the team which could also be looked at being reduced,times are hard and we need to move with them.
Prizes should be cash payments so with regards to clubs needing to know 5 days in advance how many anglers are fishing to get prizes is not an issue,if there are 5 anglers or 105 anglers your prizes reflect how much we give out in relation to how many anglers fish on the day.Tralee S.A.C had a raffel on the day and made there money for the club this way this is a great idea and hopefully more clubs will go down this route well done to them .As regards anglers entering and not turning up on the day they are a minority and what ever rules we put in place one or two anglers may not turn up because of unforseen circumstances anyway,but on the positive side if we are more flexable with the entry deadline we might get an extra 5 or 6 on the beach and thats what anglers want to see more on the beach and not being refused.
I would like to emphasize this is nothing to do with Tralee S.A.C they ran a terrific event fair play to them .This is a general observation over the last 2 or 3 years of the way the munster comps are being run. Hopefully things will improve.

Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:54 am

I my opinion the entries should go through the Munster Council and fix at an amount agreeable to the anglers and paid up front,then the Council will know how much is in the kitty and divide it between the 4 clubs who are hosting it on behalf of the Munster Council, The Optional pool is paid on the day of the Comp if the anglers want to enter in for it.
Just my opinion.... :wink:

Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:03 pm

I would like to echo the comments made by Pete,rocketman and Century above.

Tralee bay SAC ran an excellent comp and I hope they take a lot more legs in the future, but not letting anglers fish does not make any sense.

Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:13 pm

Completely agree with Century...25 euro is too much. If you include bait, diesel an all the rest your talking alot of money. It's the only reason I won't be fishing the munster comps this year.

Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:23 pm

Thank you all for the comments above.

This can be very simply sorted out with a set of directives issued from Munster Council as to how a club hosting a leg of the Munsters handles these issues. IE, legs of the Munster Closed be fixed at a specific price, with a specific cut off for entries, IE the day before or in the case of an evening comp by say 12 noon. Cash payout based on entries received only. There have been comps held in the past in conditions that were nigh on short of dangerous, you cannot blame anglers in the slightest for wanting to leave it as long as possible before making their minds up.

Again, I must reiterate, my complaint is not with Tralee Bay SAC, it is with the individual that decided to refuse the entry. You are not wrecking anything, you are not impinging on anyone by late entry. If you know the numbers prior to pegging, how is it an issue? Yes, clubs have to budget if they are giving tackle as prizes but thats a reason not to! Cash payout based on entries and this ceases to be an issue and a case of the more the merrier. As mentioned earlier, this preentry carry on resulted in entries being refused for the Munster Open last year and there was plenty of discussion which appears to have been ignored.

I will be writing to Munster Council expressing the views above and asking that a set of directives be issued that host clubs should follow. I was out of the loop for most of last years legs and prior to that, all it ever took was a phone call, and it didnt matter when. I cant understand what has changed. You cannot ask people in this day and age with other commitments to decide 4 or 5 days in advance what they are doing and expect them to cough up prior to that regardless. This is a set up that overly favours host clubs and not anglers and its not on.

As for entry fees, €25 is way over the top in this day and age and needs to be seriously looked at. 25 euro to stand on a beach.... C'mon!

Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:14 pm

if prices were cut prizes would go down would this effect turn out?maybe next year all the clubs should try it even 15 for entry and half the pool so peolpe can enter round and flat or just one? also the money for the team is a fiver to much maybe cut that to E2 the people who make the team would go even if they didnt get expences and prob would mind if it was cut?