Re: A.G.M

Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:30 am

I’ll say at the outset that I am not an IFSA member. I was a member for years but went my own way as the Federation did not suit my preferred angling. I also had a belly full of the politics of clubs/federations. I do have a deal of respect for the few committed and hard working guys I have met that are involved. I have also met a fair few of knobs!

It strikes me as odd that chaps would be debating rule changes that have already been made. I don’t think that there will be another AGM/EGM on the matter. The result means that you have little choice but to accept the decision of the majority or opt out.

You must appreciate that the club that proposed the “bait” motion thought they were doing the right thing for IFSA angling in Ireland. They obviously had more support than the people who thought it is a retrograde step.

As with all clubs/organisations there is always going to be wheeling and dealing done behind the scenes. Groups within the organisation that have an agenda will ensure that they have the necessary support to push their agenda through – such is the nature of these things – always has been – always will be.

Clearly from the posts here many are passionate about angling and the IFSA. If you support the IFSA and believe in “the system” but are looking for change you have little choice but to organise and get involved. Get yourself into a position within your club where you can be part of the decision making process. Communicate/Meet with like-minded clubs and individuals and get yourself heard. Make sure you know what is being proposed in good time and organise to support or reject it.

Debate now? I hear the stable door closing…..

Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:48 pm

There is certainly huge opposition in the i.f.s.a to the system of fishoffs that have been put into place by forward thinking anglers, who were fed up with Irish Teams being the whipping boys..
I think that the result of the Irish Shore Team winning the world championships is their vindication......
Maybe now the same few who are so violently against this system for their own small minded reasons, will hold up their hands and acknowledge what it has achieved.........

Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:54 pm

Dave Jolly wrote:There is certainly huge opposition in the i.f.s.a to the system of fishoffs that have been put into place by forward thinking anglers, who were fed up with Irish Teams being the whipping boys..
I think that the result of the Irish Shore Team winning the world championships is their vindication......
Maybe now the same few who are so violently against this system for their own small minded reasons, will hold up their hands and acknowledge what it has achieved.........

Hopefully there will be an even bigger attitude change after the success of the 2010 shore team.
Once we get the Home Nations team selected from the fish offs we should be looking at a new era for Irelands
International Teams.

Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:04 pm

maybe we should go back to the old ways :lol: :lol: .great result well done to all the lads super stuff.it will be great for angling in the country :D

Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:05 pm

I agree 100% with you Dave, picking both teams from the fish offs is the only way to go if we want to win consistently, Lets see if what I suggested in my long post will be proposed at the agm in 2011, but then again there are so many small minded people who want to see us revert to the way it was, that such a proposal may never pass, never mind the 3 munster clubs who put in proposals every year to end the system of fish offs ???????????

Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:14 pm

Times are a changing.. our motion to put the Closed Gold winners and Jimmy Smith winner into the fish offs was rejected by the usual suspects this year.

But I believe with a year of effective campaigning ahead of us we can gain enough support to see the remainder of
the reforms next year...

Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:43 pm

Agree with you ,if we want to continue winning gold medals we must push for the new proposals.

Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:55 pm

The Problem is Dave if things dont change i can see a split happening and thats the last thing angling needs in this country

Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:08 pm

There wont be a split when about 80% IMO are in favour of progress,,, The Backward lobby are in the minority.The only problem is the Backward lobby are usually the only ones attending AGM's. This is going to change.
End of the day....it's a democracy.....We will just have to wait till next November..........

Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:15 pm

i was asked to find out by a lady angler if the motion for was passed
[each provincial council will put forward a ladies team to represent their province ] :?:

Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:23 pm

Yes this motion was Passed :D

Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:31 pm

thanks for that . do u have any idea where or when they will fish for the team in leinster , i am only asking because that will be the next question .

Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:58 pm

the differance with bait supplied at international comps is it usually the right bait

Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:05 pm

did anything hapen at the ifsa meeting at the weekend about the bait being supplied :?:

Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:30 pm

think it was a central council meeting at the weekend, only members of it will be able to in form us what happened at it.

Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:47 pm

ive just read through this whole thread for the first time
i love fishing, i have the best fun when fishing
i like to think im pretty good and almost always catch at least something

but if i took it as seriously as some people are i dont think i would enjoy it all.

i never fished a sea competition only fly comps at my local trout lake. i won some, lost others but ive never enjoyed fishing a competition as much as i have when im just out to wet a line

i mean, its fishing its supposed to be fun, enjoyable, relaxing. there seems to be lot of stress\anger\frustration being vented on this thread, stress\anger and fishing dont go hand in hand, frustration maybe sometimes but not stress and anger. You wouldnt think it by what ive read here. if its upsets you so much that the rules and regulations of a comp have changed....dont enter. go fishing somewhere else...the only difference is you wont get the prestige of winning a comp (if you win) and it will be a lot cheaper.

im not trying to offend anyone and true i dont really understand the competition circuit\mentality or whatever but what im saying is if you take something too seriously, no matter much you love it, you will eventually suck all the fun out of it.

and if its no fun then whats the point? you may as well be at work

Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:40 pm

yngkmd wrote:
im not trying to offend anyone and true i dont really understand the competition circuit\mentality or whatever but what im saying is if you take something too seriously, no matter much you love it, you will eventually suck all the fun out of it.

and if its no fun then whats the point? you may as well be at work

Ah, but this is the internet don'tcha know.... Its pretty much the birthplace of taking things too seriously. We will see who is really upset by this rule when the next AGM comes around. Those people will attend and try to change it.

Just to contribute to this thread a bit, i think people should calm down and wait and see what happens. Theres nothing you can do about it till the next AGM, so how about people just wait until the first big comp and see how the system works? If it doesn't work well, then make a note to try to change it at the next AGM, or before if the chance arises. If it does work well, then everyone can shut the hell up.

Seeing as this hasn't been put into practice and its only theoretical at this point, i'm going to go ahead and say i think that in theory its a good idea. The bait is given to you in international competitions, and guess what? Its not always the right bait, and you have to use it anyway and make the most of it. If anyone remembers the home internationals in Youghal 2007, you will know what i'm talking about. Lug, rag and mack to fish a crab only venue, what a great idea that was. I think its good to give the anglers much the same scenario that they will be faced with in the international competitions.

I get why people are so annoyed, as Paul Mason mentioned earlier, bait supply for a large competition will be difficult, but i think it can be done. Some people also mentioned the shortfalls in the selection system, but thats a different debate i think.

In summary, how about we wait and see how it works out before everyone starts getting angry? Whats done is done, we have to make the most of it for this year at least.

Alex

Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:05 pm

i think the bait provided for the shore master angler has been deffered for one year

Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:16 pm

I think you are right.

Bait supplied deferred to Master Angler 2012 in Ulster

Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:36 am

thats great hope a motion will go in to change it back next year anyway.