A.G.M

Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:27 pm

Anyone know how the A.G.M went on Saturday i.e shore team selection etc......???

Re: A.G.M

Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:12 pm

I heard that the bait will be supplied for the master angler comp and the fish offs that should be good !!!

Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:39 am

if this is ture its a huge step back for angling.part of the skill of angling is having the best bait and right bait for the venue.what will happen if this is true is everyone fishing the masters will get a few lug and frozen mackerel.its a joke and if is the case then everone should have the same traces too ect.....

Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:21 am

What bright spark or sparks came up with this idea!!! We were going in the right direction with the way you had to qualify for the team and now this. Madness!!!

Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:34 am

i heard it was frozen bait only.
i can see it now on the slob bank with a frozen mack and a packet of sandeels.
it has turned master angler into a joke

Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:24 am

Unless baits that actually catch a few fish are going to be supplied i.e maddies, wraps etc it will results in poor catches, blanks and turn the comp into a bit of a lottery! I know bait is supplied for a lot of the boat comps and it appears to be working but it won't work on the shore. It can be difficult enough at times to catch fish from the shore when you have all the baits without making it more difficult baning baits, restricting baits etc...

Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:19 am

but the international comps are fished with bait provided so surely we should be trying to emulate that set up :?:

Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:30 am

id like to know who put this forward and who voted in such a stupid motion?? will it be like the boats and entry for the masters and go up by 50 euro to supply the bait??its costly enough as it is at the moment.

Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:39 am

it would be very hard for a club to get/buy enough lug,rag , maddies and crab .
it is hard enough to get a club to hold master angler with out this
would a club want to take on that extra job :?:

Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:40 am

Bait is provided in world champs, home internationals etc but if we want our best anglers on the teams for these comps we'll stop baning baits/restricting baits. In my opinion you create a much higher chance of a 'weaker angler' making the team when baits are restricted as you end up with less fish being caught, more blanks........

Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:55 am

If everone has the same bait ,then they all have the same chance
and not the person that can afford the best bait (ie)time or money
its how you use the bait that makes you the better angler

Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:12 pm

Well give all the anglers the baits that actually catch fish i.e maddies, wraps, crab, whites etc... But the bait that will probably be provided will be a few rag/lug and a mackerel! Resulting in a lottery!

Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:39 pm

corney wrote:If everone has the same bait ,then they all have the same chance
and not the person that can afford the best bait (ie)time or money
its how you use the bait that makes you the better angler

i think this is bull by lazy anglers i know for some people money is no problem or is time,i know myself it is a stretch to go to these comps with cost wise but i can still do it, and i also got my own bait and didnt have to buy it ,it did take a lot of time and hard work but that is what its all about putting in the time and effort to get the results .if some one is not interested in putting in the time and effort they should not be there.
after a year of hard effort of getting good bait for club competitions to end up at the masters with frozen mackerel and a few rag.SOME REWARD FOR WINNING YOUR CLUB MASTER ANGLER.
as some one said earlier its hard enough at times getting fish with the best of bait.

i also think this will lead to more people using bait additives.

Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:21 pm

As far as I know Bait Additives are to be banned :lol:

Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:21 pm

Apart from the 'bait being supplied' fiasco/joke!!!! What happend in relation to how you qualified for the home international shore team???? Didn't some people want to change how you qualified for this team (couldn't make the team by simply winning one comp!)

Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:51 pm

Give people the wrong bait for the wrong venue which WILL be the case , and you turn every comp into pure LUCK!
Example: The master angler in Munster with out crab !! Clever .... Not
About 80% of all master anglers take place on flounder venues ,, Lets see how this go's with no live bait !!

Mully more went down in history as being probably the worst Master angler in recent years.,,and that was allowing the right baits to be used..
But the powers that be , put next years Master angler back there !! The daylight venues for next year will Have minimum of 50 % blanks or higher each day with what ever frozen bait the IFSA supply in IMO.

Even if the IFSA planned to supply live bait ,, with about 40 worms as a standard being needed for an average comp
you would need over 12,000 Rag etc for a master angler weekend ... well we all know that wont happen !!
And just say by some miracle it did ? Is every angler going to get the same size worms ? The same quality ? I think not..
How many anglers want to use some one else's bait.

Yes bait is supplied at International events,,, the bait supplied at world events will nearly always include Maddies or a similar worm WHY ? Because they are a regarded as a universal bait which suit all species and most situations. And by the time you get to that stage you should have your best anglers there so that they can work effectively with the bait supplied.
The Bait quota system as used in some countries might work where anglers are only allowed bring a certain amount of certain types of bait.
The entry fee for the master angler is also likely to go up at least 50 euro per head.

Lads we put forward a good lot of motions at this years AGM with a view to bring about a long needed change in the federation.
We were successful getting 10 out of 14 passed , the Master Angler , Jimmy smith and the Fish offs are now a lot more competitive and the element of luck has been reduced.

We have an International Panel (Squad) in Ireland as do the rest of the world.. The difference between Ireland and the rest of the world is we only use it to choose
one of are International Teams (The World Team) Does that make sense ..? NO
Ireland have a very poor reputation Internationally ,, always have done,,Yes Ireland have had the very odd good result.. buts lets face it if your going to turn up every year your going to get lucky now and again.
One of the first things i overheard at the one And only team i travelled with a few years ago was " Great the Irish are here " " well at least we wont come last" and that came from pretty average country !

Taking England and Wales as an Example ,these countries teams are at the top of the game , Countless worlds champions and super results with consistency , Are they that far ahead of us ? Are there top anglers that much better than are own ? Maybe a long time ago that would have been true NOT ANY MORE , Ireland have some of the best anglers in the World
The only problem we have is getting them on the same team ! and for that to happen the entire structure of are team selection process needs to be as hard to get through as we can make it.

Because certain Provinces are Short sighted thinking of themselves instead of the overall BIG picture, Are Home International Team will still get selected through the old dark age system where pretty much any Joe Bloggs can make that team.

Access to ANY of Irelands International teams must be done through competing against the Countries top anglers in the International Squad.
Could you imagine the outcry if are International football team was selected in a similar fashion ? Yes we are an amateur sport.. but have we no pride ?

Anglers talk and talk about change , year in year out the same old conversations take place about what needs to be done..
Just look at the Negative reaction on this post... How many of you guys came to the AGM to make your vote count ??
Well change HAS started, things ARE beginning to move forward , How is this taking place ? Because a large number of Anglers turned talk into ACTION ! for once !

One day a year ! not even that ,8 hours a year is all it takes.... if enough forward thinking anglers get behind change . IT WILL HAPPEN

Are sport has been in decline for a great number of years, a lot of this i put down to BAD management.
Are so called representatives try to Block change at every turn.. if this were a business that refused to change and keep with the times HOW LONG DO YOU THINK IT WOULD LAST ?

I Personally made the comment at this years AGM that IMHO a lot of the older members of the IFSA are holding back the next Generation of anglers.
When are these anglers going to really take a hard look and ask themselves , what are they going to leave behind ??

A lot of the anglers around at the moment are that of the core group still around from the 80's and 90's
If the current low trend of Junior anglers continues, in 15 - 20 years time WE WONT have an IFSA.
There are such clubs as Rinnashark and Tralee sac who as far as i am concerned are at the forefront of promoting and catering for younger anglers , the work done by these clubs
is to be highly commended. Results such as the Double gold at this year Home Internationals really shows what can be achieved by Irish Teams.

I have seen so many enthusiastic and promising young anglers leave the sport after reaching senior level because of sheer frustration at hitting a brick wall as they put it regarding
the senior team system... this can not be allowed to continue.

With the right people in the driving seat and with the right ideas being implemented we can turn things around and wipe out this constant air of negativity , dissatisfaction and bad feeling that as lingered in the IFSA for so long.

Next years AGM will have about 8 motions from us going forward , as well as some ANGLERS going forward for positions on the Central Council.
The first motion will be to reverse this cop out rule of a bait supplied master angler and fish off.
The AGM is the ONLY place this can be put right !
Anglers need to start attending the AGM's.

This is are sport...
The future of it is in OUR hands... if its going to be a bright one its up to all of us...
Dave Roe.

Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:55 pm

not sure but think most of the thing were voted in like people in the pool pick the venues and the manager. also i just heard of another joke that you only now need 10 for 2nd master angler not 25? how many will now be fishing the master angler now 200+ who is going to want to hold the master angler now and supply bait for 200 anglers we dont have the beaches bar maybe the east coast for that many anglers. was there any forward thinking gone in to some of these.

Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:09 pm

Agree 100% with the issues/points Dave raised including his point about turning up at the A.G.M (which I didn't).

Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:26 pm

I agree with what Labyrinthfish has said, and as far as the bait supplied this is not logistically possible think of all the counting, sorting, distributing and where is all this bait coming from, as far as I'm aware there is no one in Ireland capable of supplying that amount of bait.

See below and this is an conservative estimate of what would be needed.

Maddies @ 900 per angler 300 per session given that 100 anglers fish = 90000
rag @ 120 per angler 40 per session " " " " " = 12000
Mackerel @ 6 per angler 2 per session " " " " " = 600
Sandeel @ 9pkt per angler 3 per session " " " " " = 900
Lug @ 120 per angler 40 per session " " " " " = 12000
Crab @ 60 per angler 20 per session " " " " " = 6000

This proposal can not be implemented it impossible.

Madness I say.

Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:36 pm

well paul if they if they give that as bait i think its a great idea :lol: :lol: :lol: ,but you worked it out for 100 anglers the new rules with a 2nd angler after 10 not after 25 there will be a lot more then 100 anglers more near 200. personally i think 25 in this day and age i think 25 is a bit high maybe 20 for a 2nd angler.