Tue May 06, 2008 10:18 pm

Thanks Kstaff.

Sounds like it was tough going. Alot of undersized fish ??

marco power whittle

Wed May 07, 2008 1:23 am

I am waiting on John o Brien to e-mail me the full results a soon as i get them i will post them. 8)

Comp

Thu May 08, 2008 11:53 pm

Would have to say that organisation of this competition was the worst that I have ever seen.

I was told that check in was from 7.30-10am. Fishing from 11am-3pm in 3 zones and 1-5pm at Passage. There was only 2 zones as Cheek Point was cancelled. Other people were told the same.

Did nobody know the times of the tides?

Weather was great. But having left Dublin at 6.30am and did not wet a line till 2.30pm I was knackered.

Not good enough lads. If you are organising a comp check the tide tables or take up golf!!!

marco power whittle

Fri May 09, 2008 2:15 am

Stan sorry that you were unhappy with the comp on sunday but i think you are a bit ungenerous to the organsing committee of which i am not one, the comp was to be fished in cheekpoint strand and due to the amount of cars, they had arranged to have the cars parked in a nearby field when they went to check the field there was no way down to the beach (cheekpoint is built on a hill) :shock: so they change it to passage east, crook and woodstown(3 zones). John and the organisers tried to contact as many people as possiable to inform them of the change of venue and time, :? as for the tides they were picked to suit cheekpoint at 11am as it fishes better at low tide up :) .So the tide in passage east was going to be later :oops: This Comp decided on 6-7 weeks ago after the untimely death at a young age 27yrs of Marco and the organising committe seured 10 holidays to the GAMBIA over E6000 what other competition around will you find such prizes.I hope this explains what happen on Sunday and hope to see you there next year as this will be an annule event 8) 8) 8)

Comp

Fri May 09, 2008 6:46 am

Before I would fish this competition again I would want definite times and I do think that it should be fished in an area that might have everyone fishing at the same time. The lads from the Borough left Dublin at 6.30am and were still stuck in Passage until 6.30pm. That meant that they did not get back to Dublin until 11pm.

I talked to another lad from Ballybrack. 3 of them just decided that they were not fishing because of the poor organisation.

I think that if the lads from Waterford came to Dublin to fish a comp that was so badly organised there would be little chance of seeing them again.

It may be a good cause but as you said there was 6-7 weeks to organise this and the week before the event times were still not decided.

If you are doing it again please bear in mind that it simply is not excusable to make such a mess of reading a tide-table.

Fri May 09, 2008 7:30 am

you should have read sharkys post on the 29 april

marco whittel-power

Fri May 09, 2008 3:26 pm

sharky wrote:Final arrangements for the competition courtesy of John O'Brien are: Fishing 1.30pm - 5.30pm. Check in from 10 - 12 noon at the Strand Hotel Dunmore East. Fishing at Passage East 2 Zones, and Woodstown 1 Zone. Optional Pool €10- Divided 50% Longest Round/50% Longest Flat. Return cards to the Strand Hotel after the competition where prize giving will take place. For further details contact John @ 0872235270
:oops:
Well said petewax forgot that message was there hope that clarifies things up. 8)

Fri May 09, 2008 4:14 pm

looks like stan is not going to the gambia

Sat May 10, 2008 2:37 am

Lads I would highly recommend to anyone that didn’t make it to the comp this year to make a point of attending it next time round,

There was a great atmosphere as it should be at such an event and as has been said already its for a very good cause,
And I’m happy to say I didn’t hear anybody around me moaning about the tide everyone just seemed to be chilled out enjoying the fine day we had for it, :D
Me I caught a flounder of 21cm so I was happy not to blank fishing a new venue and have learned a little bit about the area that should help me catch more next time,

So I would like to say thanks to john and the lads who organised the comp as I had a great day and you can put me down for next year for sure. 8)

Comp

Sat May 10, 2008 10:06 pm

I had no problem with the venue and enjoyed the crack of fellow anglers. It was also a worthy cause.

My complaint is purely with the organisation of the event.

I rang one of the two men who people were supposed to contact a week before the competition to check details and was told that I would be phoned back after a meeting of the organisers. Nobody rang back. I was ringing on behalf of a group of anglers. On the Sunday before the comp I tried ringing but could not get through. Eventually one of the lads in my club got through and was given the details as I outlined.

Reading tide tables is not rocket science and I make no apologies for criticizing the total lack of competence displayed by the organizers.

By the way I am only back from the Gambia and am going back again in October.

Re: marco whittel-power

Mon May 12, 2008 2:04 am

dogfish4896 wrote:
sharky wrote:Final arrangements for the competition courtesy of John O'Brien are: Fishing 1.30pm - 5.30pm. Check in from 10 - 12 noon at the Strand Hotel Dunmore East. Fishing at Passage East 2 Zones, and Woodstown 1 Zone. Optional Pool €10- Divided 50% Longest Round/50% Longest Flat. Return cards to the Strand Hotel after the competition where prize giving will take place. For further details contact John @ 0872235270
:oops:
Well said petewax forgot that message was there hope that clarifies things up. 8)

The only thing that went wrong was the tide your original complaint was the check-in 7.30am that was changed see above :D also that there were only 2 Zones when there was to be 3 see above :D as i can see the organisers did all they could to inform people of any changes through trying to ring people and posting it on SAi :D 8) :wink: as for tides they would say mea cupla and put up their hands to it. :oops: