Switch to full style
"It was bigger than dad's!" For all you juniors who delight in showing us up from time to time, get your pictures and stories in here. Not forgetting you old fogeys who may have a picture or two kicking around from a bygone year of your first catch......
Topic locked

reel for 7yr old

Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:32 pm

Can anyone recomend an easy reel to use for a 7yr old to use i was thinking of buying a small baitcaster reel has anyone any experince with these

Re: reel for 7yr old

Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:34 pm

any small fixed spool will do the job just match the reel to the rod

Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:07 pm

i bought a small telescopic fladden rod and reel in woodies for 29.99 i think,
it was ideal size for an eight year old, though we smashed it eventually winding pollack
and wrasse up a pier, i use a drop net now. not bad value for 29.99
It is a fixed spool, kids can use these fine

Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:26 pm

I picked up an ugly stik kit last week for €30. 6ft rod, the reel is about a 1000 size and came with a few spinners, floats, jig heads and jellies. Dont think the reel is upto much and will probably be replaced in time but still good value for the money.
Any small fixed spool will do but match it to the rod. No point in a 1000 sized reel on a 10ft rod.

Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:44 pm

red wrote:I picked up an ugly stik kit last week for €30. 6ft rod, the reel is about a 1000 size and came with a few spinners, floats, jig heads and jellies. Dont think the reel is upto much and will probably be replaced in time but still good value for the money.
Any small fixed spool will do but match it to the rod. No point in a 1000 sized reel on a 10ft rod.

i got the same ugly stick and reel and its the job i have it about 3 years and the reel only needs to be replaced now its a great bit of kit for kids

Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:00 pm

Thanks i have a 7ft ugly stick just need a reel maybe a small fixed spool will be easier to use

Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:57 am

john86 wrote:Thanks i have a 7ft ugly stick just need a reel maybe a small fixed spool will be easier to use

a 1000 0r 2500 sized fixed spool would be fine but the 1000 might be better suited. try to get something with 2 spools as it gives more options.
Topic locked