wreck coordinates

Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:43 pm

Just wondering does anybody know if there is somewhere that I could get the coordinates of wrecks that lie of the coast around the Ardmore/Youghal area.

Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:04 am

you could try looking up irishwrecksonline.net haven't looked up that area my self. with the quality of fishing in the youghal area i cant understand why you would be bothered looking for wrecks.done some trips down last year 1st time we had 14 species on first day ling to 15lb doubles of conger 9lb cod hake the list goes on that was on day 1 next trip even better there was 1 treble shot of 10.5lb + 12lbcod+7lb pollack on the one trace and not a wreck in sight. you will end up looking for wrecks and wont get a line as wet as it should. :wink:

Re: wreck coordinates

Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 am

Stan wrote:Just wondering does anybody know if there is somewhere that I could get the coordinates of wrecks that lie of the coast around the Ardmore/Youghal area.

Probably your best bet is local commercial fishermen, Or you could try the local dive club, There are a lot of wrecks around Youghal /Ardmore / Mine Head areas.There are at least 3 charter boats in the area catering mainly for divers and they would also have most of the wrecks.

Jim

wreck coordinates

Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:12 am

Thanks lads. I have fished 1 or 2 wrecks in the area and they can be brilliant. I just want to try more.

Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:16 pm

This topic seems to be a better fit in here, so I've moved it.

Unless someone wants to fish a wreck from the shore. Come to think of it, someone was talking about actually trying that sometime last year. Down around Cork/SE area, maybe. Wonder how he got on?

Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:32 pm

you could also try Wrecks Office
United Kingdom Hydrographic Office

http://www.admiraltyleisure.co.uk/diveSite.asp

wreck

Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:03 pm

By far and away the best source of information is commercial fishermen, gill-netters rather than trawlermen.

Divers tend to know only inshore wrecks where it is possible for them to dive safely.

The Admiralty will want money for co-ords! They will charge per co-ord over a given geographical area. Most of their numbers are from the charts, which can be wildly inaccurate.

Many of the wrecks down that way are well flogged by boats based in Duncannon, probably your first port of call.

Are you fishing from your own boat?

wrecks

Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:26 pm

Thanks Jim. I will be fishing in my own boat. I don't think that the angling boats from Duncannon come across as far as Ardmore bay. They seems to just go straight for the Milwalkee and another one whose name I have forgotten. By the time June/July comes they have taken all the fish.The boats from Helvick and Dungarvan mainly just fish the reef. I have fished 2 of well know wrecks, the Folio and the 2 mile wreck off Mine head. Both can be excellent. I will ask the local fishermen if they know of any others.

Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:38 pm

i will p.m a few of them to you monday evening when i dig them out stan

Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:07 am

Stan , The Admiralty will charge you £30 sterling for seven wrecks , lats & longs from irish wrecks site can be a bit vague , hope this helps

Andy

Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:09 pm

Don't know if this is too far west for you, but look at this site - click dive sites. http://www.aquaventures.ie/