Any fish on the North Coast

Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:32 am

Anybody know if there are any fish being caught off the North Coast this time of the year? Thinking about going out next weekend!

Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:47 pm

fishing is poor from what i know at the moment :roll:

Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:11 pm

there have been decent catches of flats on benone etc in daylight in recent weeks, but as forthe boats, i have heard ballycastle has been slow enough but some fish showing, there should be plenty of whiting etc all around the north coast if you were drifting with smaller baits etc....

Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:36 pm

From past experience the weather is the main problem, plus the fact that most boats are out of the water at this time of year.
Historically, when the local commercial fleet had to fish all year round or starve, there was no significant drop off in catch except for the limitations of weather.
If anyone had the time and effort to spend trying such marks as the Shamrock Pinnacle, or the deep water off Bull Point I suspect they woulde find it well worthwhile.
If youre interested Phil the old timers talked about catching single "calliagh" [ common skate] big enough to fill a horse drawn cart in Feb/ March time.

Boyd