Clew Bay

Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:43 pm

I hope to fish Clew Bay out of Newport this weekend on a charter boat. Never fished this part of the country before so I don't really know what to expect. Can anyone offer any advice on tackle, rigs, bait (and chances of catching mackarel) etc?
Thanks
Jonny

Newport

Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:57 pm

The son fished down there 2 weeks ago in the Irish Youths Championshiops and there was plenty of fish caught. Boats anchored for the day and there was a good number of Ray, Bull Huss and Doggies caught. Mackeral was the only bait needed and was caught on the way out. He enjoyed himself as did the rest of the lads.
Damien

Thu Jul 29, 2004 4:54 pm

Depends on what kind of fishing you do...

If you are drifting over the reefs (Deacy's Rocks etc) using baited mackerel feathers will pick up Pollack, Ballen & Cuckoo Wrasse, Coalfish, Mackerel and Scad, Pouting, Codling right on the bottom and I mean right on the bottom (forget it if there is a big swell), and all sorts of smaller weird stuff like Dragonets, Octopus, etc. oh and Red Gurnards as well....

Anywhere with a bit of current and you have a chance at small Ling. If you fancy something bigger, use a mackerel flapper on a 6/0 at slack water on at least a 2 metre trace and use a rotten bottom link. Huss & Conger the main targets, the Huss moreso to the east of the Bay, nearer the islands.

Over sand expect Doggies, Huss, Rays (mostly Thornbacks but Mary Gavin Hughes may find you Homelyns), and you can go for a Skate provided everyone is prepared to use big traces and wait all day for one to come along.... not likely! Grey and Tub Gurnards tends to prefer muddy sand....

There are forty species out there and most will be available by now...

Hope this helps....

Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:07 pm

Thanks for all that. Had a very enjoyable weekend - mostly dogs and a good number of bull huss. Quite a few ray caught too, but mainly small. One of the other boats decided to have a go for the skate and managed to land 3, including one to a junior!
I will definitely fish Clew Bay again - very comfortable fishing and plenty of fish.