Penn no.49 deep sea reel

Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:06 pm

Ibought two of these reels and a penn no.65 long beach reel off a guy at a carboot sale about a year ago all reels were in perfect condition the no. 65 dont even think saw water. All three r very strong robust reels has anybody here heard of them or used them.

long beach

Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:24 pm

the long beach reels are fine reels, no frills but a honest, tough, reliable reel. they are the basis of many a charter boats "tackle for hire"

the 49's (if i remember correctly) are a narrow spool reel designed for fishing with wire, again a bit old fashioned but none the worse for that. they will give years of great service

Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:27 pm

Yip your rite the 49 is a narrow spool think she'd be fit for a skate? What was the idea of using wire on them

penn 49

Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:56 pm

this reel started its life before 1941 and only recently went out of production, the idea of wire dates back to the days before microbraid line, wire was none stretch and low diameter and an absolute b*llicks! if you kinked it it would break, if your skin was wet wire under tension would cut it like a razor blade (although braid will also do this).

from memory they were designed to be used with 30lb wire although I would be confident that they would handle heavier lines say 50lb. if this is the sort of line you were thinking of then the 49 will do well as would the 65.
check out

http://www.scottsbt.com/pennparts/reelspecs/penn49L.htm

http://www.scottsbt.com/pennparts/reelspecs/penn65.htm

Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:29 pm

Thanks for them links ray as usual with penn gear there solid and dependable. U think i got a bargin goy the 49 for 20 quid and the 65 for 15 quid think i done alright

49 / 65

Sun Dec 24, 2006 6:04 pm

undoubtedly! although not perhaps as good as you think, the 65 was available new a couple of years back for £30 and the 49 was something similar, i think that they must have been clearing stock before discontinuing them - I bought another 65 and a penn SS6500(?) and another smaller penn at the time for £75 total all new boxed! - -I like a bargin!