3.6 metere rib

Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:29 am

how far out could i fish with one of these with resonable safty galway iner bay i would expect

Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:59 pm

Donal,
I've seen people fishing out at Tory in small RIBs (7 miles out I think) - I suppose it's down to how much care you put into your day out, weather conditions, sea state, etc. Whatever you decide to do, enjoy it and stay safe !!

RIB

Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:24 pm

See Peter Kinsella, a member here, he uses a RIB in Galway Bay

Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:06 pm

Ive been out in a 7m RIb in galway bay and it works fine and is usually very stable. 3.5m should be good enough for fishing out of in the bay but i personally wouldnt go very far out. I went to the arans in the same boat last summer and was a bit choppy on the way home but the boat coped well but a shorter boat might not work as well in the waves/swell. Does it have a keel or is it the bottom flat? it would be more stable if it had a keel and cope better with a swell. I did the power boat course in a rib with no hull and it made it a lot harder.

Jack.

RIB

Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:22 pm

The stability of a RIB is a function of 1) length and 2) weight.

I use a 6.1m with a diesel inboard and this rig is good for up to force 5. Should sea conditions be greater than this, it would become a rather uncomfortable and potentially unsafe journey.
As for a 3.5m with an outboard, a rig that I have no experience with, I would guess that a force 3 could be dodgy. A head wind and tide could well swamp the boat. Whilst you would not sink, you could be stuck out for a good while. Worse still, the sea conditions could push you onto rocky ground.
VHF, lifejackets and flares are a must. There are many other musts.
P.

Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:57 pm

have the vhf gps fishfindlife jakets will probly get flaier will probly not go out to far any way unless its flat cam id say its safer than some of the boats ive seen people go out in anyway thankx

Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:41 pm

i use a rib to do my diving off it it handy but its not for fishing never seen any one fish from it :? :)