RATHMULLAN

Fri Jul 16, 2004 1:50 pm

Alright folks, Im going to Rathmullan tomorrow.... Anyone got any tips/methods useful at that part of the World?? Gonna take Pollack Bashing Rod, as well as Boat Rod... help much appreciated at high speed folks....

Fri Jul 16, 2004 1:55 pm

you fishing reefs or wrecks ?

1oz leadheads and full belly strips if reefs - retrieved as slow as possible.

For deeper fishing - 10ft flowing trace with full belly strip on 5/0 ir 6/0 - let it hit bottom and wind up 10 times (1 wind per ft of trace). Got this tip from the Munster Sea fishing Champion (Philip Horgan) - I was dubious, but it's lethal. He told me to use rag, but in the absence of rag, I use Mackerel - belly strip very lightly hooked for maximum movement.

Prefer spinning though.

Fri Jul 16, 2004 2:07 pm

lol, Looks like Im going to have to go out on Mackeral trip tonight then.... (Awwwwwwww, Fishin' its a Hard station!)...

Fri Jul 16, 2004 3:43 pm

Apparently you have a couple of places spare tomorrow as Angela just called me to see if I wanted to join you but I am fishing out of Mullaghmore tomorrow.

A friend of mine is out on the Enterprise right now and I have just phoned him to see how they are doing.

Firstly - it is a bit rough today so they didn't get out to the wreck. Tomorrow is forecast similar.

They have been fishing the reef and caught good Pollock (though they never put a size on them)

They usually spend some time drifting the '16' which is sandy bottom and can throw up most species - Gurnards, Codling, Haddock, Whiting, Dogs, Flats, etc.

They are ending the day tied (illegally!!!) to the Kinnegar buoy where they are guaranteed Thornies and Dogs (and maybe Tope if anyone tries for them).

You are likely to be fishing very similarly tomorrow.

Good luck,

Arthur

Fri Jul 16, 2004 4:19 pm

Doesnt Sound too Bad..... What size do the Pollack run on the Reefage, and at what depth are ya fishing? This '16' Wouldnt happen to be the nice place I fished last time that throws up the Big frickin Gurnards????