porte bote

Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:18 pm

Has enyone of you guys seen these boats? do you think they would be good to fish from on a calm day?would you trust it in the sea. :?:
look them up on google.

Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:47 pm

Mac has one, you might drop him a line.

Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:14 pm

The Dogs................

Have been using one this year in the sea. A great boat that can be put on the roof rack :shock: . Ideal for two people, but on a really calm day will fish 3 (12 foot) version.

Just remember that the boat in on the roof but all the other equipment is in the car so they still take up a lot of room. On a calm day the boat will get up on a plane with two average weight people (80kg or 13 Stone). When it does this you can hit about 15mph. When full of gear and two people when piking I can get 10mph. When I'm on my own the boat will easily do 20mph as coaster will testify to when I was flying around that harbour near Dungarvan.

They are expensive (€2700 without engine) so try to pick one up secondhand. They are rare secondhand, but I believe that the UK dealer has a few from time to time. The 12 foot boat goes really nicely with a 5hp engine.

The really great thing is if you can get your car close to a beach you will be able to set the boat up there and go fishing. no slipway needed.

Here's a pic of mine in the water.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/mcclean2k/Bass/16_170706/DSC_3005.jpg[/img]

Here's another of the bro in law with a Bass caught while out fishing in the porta bote this year.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/mcclean2k/Bass/16_170706/DSC_2983.jpg[/img]

I am hoping to get some more inshore fishing for Bass in the boat this year, especially some fly fishing.

Let me know if you go for one.

Kev

Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:01 pm

Hi mac would you trust it if the sea and tide was a little rough?
where were the photos taken? how long you had the boat, where did you purchase yours from, etc etc .

Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:59 am

I would have no problems trusting the bote in the sea when it's a little rough. Try it on a lake first to get a feel for how it handles in such weather. I've been out off red rock in sutton in a big enough chop (2 foot or so) and not had any hassles. You will have some problems trying to put an anchor down in this chop with two in the boat though. I have a way around this if you get a boat let me know and I'll put up a few photos.

I managed to get mine second hand in Ireland. They don't come on the the market second hand over here all that often, but like I mentioned a call to the UK dealer should see you right.

The Irish dealer is based in Rosslare, can't remember the name. They should be at the angling show in Dublin this year as they were there last year. You might even be able to make an offer "there and then" for a new boat.

Oh yeah, photos were taken in waterford this year during the summer.

Kev

Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:37 pm

Hi mac i do have a porte bote the 10ft with a mercury 4 hp motor had it for 4 years, i dived in like you always do, and bought one, not that i have alot off money, and ive payed for it since after alot off arguments , but i must admit it is a very good boat, ive used it on lakes in the uk , but was wondering wat it would be like in the sea,
My family comes from malin head and the sea sometimes is quite rough, im not an idiot to go out when times arnt write, tides etc ,but any advice would be a lessen.

Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:58 am

Hello any lads there, would you carry flares?

Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:02 pm

Yeah, they are expensive enough alright. I use mine with a 5hp Tohatsu. They are fine in the sea, just be careful of tides and such. If you are only pottering around inshore areas you will be fine. I always though they would drift quite quickly on a tide but they seem to be ok there. I mostly anchor when I am Bass fishing anyway, as I can work and area with a few different plugs and then move. I use one of the fold down anchors and I keep it and the rope and chain in a small box in the bow. I try to anchor in sand and let the boat drift close to the rocky area and they work the plug over the rough ground.

Here is a link to that anchoring method I mentioned.
[url]http://www.cwbr22088.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Porta-Bote/usage_reports.htm[/url] This guy uses a 10 footer as well.

I don't carry flares although I will get some for next year. Normally I just make sure I have the mobile phone and the battery is full.

Kev

Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:57 am

Hi Gravel,
Good idea to carry flares. Know someone a few years back who was quite experienced on the sea. They were in a 16ft boat and had engine failure close to the shoreline. He dropped the spare part they needed into the sea. The sea was otherwise calm but they were just in the wrong area and got caught in big waves that were going to wash them onto rocks. They couldn't row themselves out of trouble or hold the bottom with the anchor. They set off a flare which was seen by an old lady sitting at a bay window who phoned the rescue services who then towed them to safety. It was a bit of a freak thing in that everything went wrong. I carry a hand held and a parachute flare. They all have expiry dates so when you are buying make sure you have a few years to run on them. Never bought from the people below but it gives an idea of prices.

http://www.marineparts.ie/index.php?categoryID=202

Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:48 am

Mac thanks for the link, very good reading, got me interested in the boat again,after it being full off cobwebs, i might make a few mods myself, before i take it to ireland, let me know next time you take her out.