Boat Rod Celtic by Fladen

Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:42 am

Hello Boat Anglers,
Has anyone out there got one of these 'Celtic by Fladen'?

I want to treat myself to a good/tough boat rod, these are on sale on EBay for well under E40 (I am prepared to spend more to get a decent rod).

Does anyone out there know - is this a decent rod?

Blackie

Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:58 am

i dont no.........i do no that the fladen solid carbon rods are the dogs ********

Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:09 am

Hiya Blackie, if all you want is a good tough boat rod and longevity rather than finesse is key then get yourself a Penn Mariner 30-50. They go for 50-60 yo yos or so. I dont know anything about the Fladen Celtic range TBH but as Midget says, the Fladen Maxximus solid carbon range truly are superb. (Damn sight dearer though)

If you want something a bit more sporting, have a look at proven brands such as Abu, Penn, Shakespeare etc in some of the lower line classes. I find 12-20lb class actually covers the vast majority of my fishing. It is very rare I will step up my gear to a 20-30 but its there if I need it. I have a 6-10lb class rod thats super for arsing about too. I have pulled in triple shots of near double fig pollack on a Penn Powerstick 12-20 which cost around the 100 euro mark as far as I remember. TBH, a bloody good reel is more important than the rod and in most cases will cost more than the rod itself.

Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:18 am

Thanks a million for this info.

I already have a reel, Penn Commodor 20 LW with braid, seems fine, but my rod is rubbish.
I've been told to go for a rod with a roller, and I can see that the Celtic has that.

Is the roller important?

Thanks

Blackie

Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:31 am

Personally I pay very little heed to it TBH and Im probably wrong for doing that. Rollers are a good idea when using braided line. I think there is another reasonably priced Fladen rod suitable for braid, in the 20-30lb class I have one at home, Ill get back to you with the name of it this afternoon.

Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:47 pm

Thanks again Pete, I'd appreciate that.

Anyone else used this 'Celtic' rod?

Blackie

Boat Rods

Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:38 pm

Blackiemc,
Suit the rod to the style of fishing you do most. Not tried a Celtic myself. I recently got hold of a Solid C 10-20 a super rod. I tend to stay away from rollers with braid. You can get rods with "captive" rollers that are grand for braid but the "traditional" top roller can cause problems. If in doubt stick with an eye on top.

As Pete has said, a 12/20 will suit most mixed boat angling. There is a raft of rods out at the moment that won't break the bank. Try get a rod 7'6" at least.

Jim

Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:18 pm

Hiya Blackie, the rod I ws thinking of wasn't actually a Fladen, its a Leeda Northstar 20-30. Was about 50-60 euro and theres not a thing wrong with it at that price.

Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:50 pm

I don't get out very often at the moment, so I am looking for an all-rounder (if there's such a thing), to allow me to fish whatever opportunity arises.

The advice is well appreciated, Pete, are those Leeda rods stocked fairly widely?

Blackie

Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:00 am

Dunno mate, but at the price I would think so. If not, have a nosey online, I'm sure one of the main crowds would carry them.

Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:05 pm

def go for the fladden solid carbon rods unreal ive used mine for makeral to tope and had as much fun with both best boat rod ive used to be honest dont even take my daiwa amorphus out of the bag now

Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:51 pm

hi there blackie i got one of those celtic rods and a okuma 450cl reel never been used either off a guy at a carboot sale for 40 quid he even threw in his collection of feathers cracking wee rod solid little bugger to great for the boat found it very nice to use wish i could have said the same for the reel but i think i got a bargin go ahead treat urself

Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:48 pm

Right, thanks to the replies I think I have enough info to go for the cheaper 'celtic' Fladen, if it's not up to my high standard :shock: I'll pass it on to my father-in-law, and go for a new solid carbon Fladen for myself(I think it's called a win-win situation) :D :D :D

Blackie