any big fish from kilmore quay?

Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:28 am

howeya lads, goin out from kilmore quay soon, wanna no my stuff before hand, plan on wreck fishin mainly for cod but! - would love to pick up something wit a bit of fight in it after i get my cod ( hopefully) anything big been caught there lately?? huss/tope/conger or the likes?? somethin that will give me a good scrap?? not familiar with the area. any advice wud be great

kilmore quay

Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:37 pm

Hi

The boat fishing of a good quality, consistent but not often spectacular. 80 lb plus tope taken a few summer sback, released. Know of rays to 12-15 lbs taken not far offshore. Reefs offer big specimen wrasse to 5/6 lbs on occasion, even at this time of year. Best fighting fish off the wrecks likely to be ling, again up to 15 lbs, average smaller. Cod to 6 lbs usual.

Hope this helps... others here far more knowledgeable / constant customers to the charter boats there...

Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:54 pm

nialler

Who are you going out with?

Depending on what type of fishing your doing will depend on what you catch - most of the charter boats spend the day drift fishing and you can expect to catch Cod, Pollack, Coalfish, plenty of Ballen Wrasse along with Pouting and the odd Ling or Conger (this will depend on the area your fishing - which depends on the wind & tide).

If however you get to drop the anchor for the day this will open up a whole different kettle of fish, there's plenty of Tope, Ray and flat's around to keep you happy.

On our last outing on the 16th Sept while drift fishing we were amazed to see a Tope of about 40lbs following Cod and Wrasse being reeled in by anglers to the top of the water. It even took bites out of some of the fish and also managed to take a Ballen Wrasse off the hook right at the side of the boat (one lost fish for Bert).

Damien

Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:47 am

goin out with john deveraux ( celtic lady 2), would love a few rays /tope as well as a bit of drifting but didnt think there would be any tope around this time of year? are they not only around when the mackerel shoals are?