boat reels

Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:16 am

im looking some advice on buying a big multiplier capable of taking on skate and shark, anybody any ideas? cheers

Reels

Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:23 am

If it's only for skate or shark then it would be hard to beat a Penn Senator 4/0 hi-speed (best winch available!) or maybe try something from the Avet range.

If you're going to use it for lighter wrecking etc. as well then there's a huge range to choose from: Penn 535, Torium, Trinidad, 7000, 9000, Calcutta, Fladen 666, 777.... etc. The Surecatch range from Dennets has a cracking medium sized lever drag reel that won't break the bank (the model eludes me, I'll check it in the morning, I use one myself!).

There are more heavy boat reels out there than light so you can't go too far wrong. Best thing is to have a look see and then post which reels take your fancy.

Jim

Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:48 am

skate - 4/0 or 6/0 senator (black sides) not high speed.....its easier on you!

i have 4/0 and 6/0 high speeds myself for the heavy work, but for the skate the normal senators have been highly recommended by guys who have caught loads more of them than me!

many go for lever drags...personally i now steer clear of them as the star drag is a far more robust system for the big fish imho.

obviously, if its quick moving tuna or shark then lever drag is more preferable

Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:11 am

cheers guyys i already have 3 smaller reels for wreaking, so im lookin heavy duty for the big stuff hopefully ive been checkin out the penn senators. they look the way to go just didnt know what the numbers were about.

Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:29 am

Penn senator 4/0, no need to buy anything else, you will have this reel for the rest of your life if you look after it

Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:32 pm

For that kinda game I use a Penn International 12 LT. Smallest of the "Big Game" reels, and it's a thoroughbred. Never once let me down in about 11 years.

You might think about the Penn 225LD also, if you fancy light-line big fish angling! :D

Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:02 am

Value for money, you could do worse than consider the Okuma Titus Gold range - Penn International-type reels at a fraction of the price. A 30 or 50 would do everything you would ever need. I have a TG15 and it's very solid. Very smooth.