Easterly Winds

Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:19 am

"When the wind is from the East, the fish bite least...." Why is this? Or is it?

Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:46 am

They are all too busy getting irradiated from Sellafield. Puts them off their food. :shock: :shock: :evil:

Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:11 pm

One of those old sayings with more than a grain of truth in it. Don't know anybody who's explained why.

Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:53 am

:? I love Easterlies, more so North Easterlies, Seems to make the Dee Fish well... 8)

Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:34 pm

Easterlies on the East coast stir up the bottom and the water gets very silty and the fish dont feed, however as soon as the wind stops the fishing is great best time to go out is after easterly einds

Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:15 am

A good piece on easterly winds in Dec Sea Angler (p.58). Suggests that even bait is hard to keep alive when winds are from the east!!!

Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:12 am

Don't know whether this is right or not, but my own theory on this are that as easterlies are generally cold, they chill the surface of the water so that fish inshore move out to deeper water where the tempreature is more constant.

The saying seems to have originated with UK east coast winter cod anglers way back. Maybe shallow, churned up silty waters is a factor, maybe the cold.

But there does appear to be some truth to it. It sure kills the fishing up here in the NW as far as I can see.